PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Top panel all messed up (loads of trash cans)

Gaillimh
July 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy

I was using the 'Add Panel' window to add some applets to the top panel, and then the screen went blank. I forced a restart, and when the desktop loaded, there were loads of trash cans in the top panel (see attached).

I tried removing them by clicking 'Remove from Panel'. but there must be hundreds of trash cans there, and it would take me forever to remove them all.

How do I remove these unwanted trash cans manually?

I'm guessing the 'Add Panel' went into a loop, adding trash cans and crashing the system. Is this a known issue?

Thanks.

overdrank
July 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy

I was using the 'Add Panel' window to add some applets to the top panel, and then the screen went blank. I forced a restart, and when the desktop loaded, there were loads of trash cans in the top panel (see attached).

I tried removing them by clicking 'Remove from Panel'. but there must be hundreds of trash cans there, and it would take me forever to remove them all.

How do I remove these unwanted trash cans manually?

I'm guessing the 'Add Panel' went into a loop, adding trash cans and crashing the system. Is this a known issue?

Thanks.

HI and welcome. I am sorry but that is :lolflag:
Ok but you can just delete the panel and then create a new one if you still have your other panel. but it was :lolflag:

Dr Small
July 15th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Haha. That is funny.
But anyhow, just delete the top panel and then create it again. :)

Joeb454
July 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Agreed on the funny side :D And I think the easiest solution has been stated above (twice)

Gaillimh
July 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM
:) Well I'm glad you all saw the funny side of it!

OK, I'll delete it and create a new one. It's just a pain having to set it all up again as I had it before.

For educational purposes, how would I go about editing the contents of the panel via the terminal? Where is the file located? Or would that be beyond the realms of a n00b?

Joeb454
July 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I have no idea how you edit the panels content in a terminal, I'd guess it'd be a file somewhere in your home folder, perhaps in
~/.gnome2/ You could try having a look around :)

Gaillimh
July 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Argh, I can't remove the panel because all the trash cans are in the way.

I've tried right clicking everywhere on the top panel, but all I get is the menu for the stupid trash can.

How the hell am I meant to remove it now? :confused:

Any help appreciated. It's driving me nuts.
Thanks

EDIT: I managed to delete it eventually by using killall gnome-panel and quickly right clicking it before it populated itself with all those obnoxious trash cans.