PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 2 Screenshot Tour - The Intrepid Ibex Chronicles!

sharks
July 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-8-10-Alpha-2-Screenshot-Tour-89806.shtml

wrtpeeps
July 15th, 2008, 12:27 PM
yuck. Brown.

Masoris
July 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Change the theme please.

HansKisaragi
July 15th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Eww.. I don't like the new theme..

smbm
July 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Change the theme please.

Eww.. I don't like the new theme..

Good thing it's the theme for Alpha 2 then and not the finished product.

Is it just me or does it seem like all anyone cares about is theming?

msrinath80
July 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
The theme can be changed at will. Intrepid needs to focus on better hardware support.

smbm
July 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
The theme can be changed at will. Intrepid needs to focus on better hardware support.

My sentiments exactly.

paul101
July 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM
i like the new theme :guitar:

23meg
July 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM

It's just that the theme and colors are the easiest things to comment on (which doesn't necessarily mean that every comment has merit, but that the threshold for being able to comment at all is lower than it is for most other things), and people love commenting on things.

Also, this is a "screenshot tour" (must mean "I need some Google juice but am too lazy to research anything"), not an in-depth technical review.

loell
July 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
and people love commenting on things.

yes, even commenting on comments. :)

sharks
July 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM
and People Love Commenting On Things.

Yes, Even Commenting On Comments. :)

+1

rickyjones
July 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Both need to be focused on, in my opinion. It will not matter how great the hardware support is. If a new user does not like the look or feel of the operating system then they will dismiss it. Marketing is a large part of this. User Interface Design should be just as high of a priority as hardware support.

The makers of Ubuntu would do well to assemble various panels of "average users" to demo the user interface to determine what color combination is the most acceptable and then use those in a theme. The "elite" geeks that use Ubuntu may not like it as much but those people will have the knowledge required to change the theme.

I've been using Ubuntu off and on for a few years now and I still haven't really figured out the easiest way to download and install a new theme. In Windows XP you download an archive, extract it, and double click the .msstyle theme file.

Does this mean I'm a moron? Nope. Just means that the usability of the interface needs to be taken into consideration.

If Ubuntu is Linux for Human Beings then we need some more Human Beings commenting on the look of it - otherwise other Human Beings that we are marketing to will NOT use this operating system.

Deny it all you want, people judge books by their covers. This definitely applies to Linux.

Sincerely,
Richard

Canis familiaris
July 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Yuck! This theme sucks, again! I want the old Hardy theme back.

@rickkyjones:
System->Preferences->Appearance

Choose Theme Tab:
To change the theme, just drag and drop the .tar.gz on Theme Manager.

You get the theme.

sharks
July 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
off topic
@rickyjones:
Download the theme to your desktop and then put it in a theme folder in your home file. Next open:System>Preferences>Theme. Click on Install Theme, and point it to your theme folder, and it will install automatically.

linux6994
July 15th, 2008, 01:28 PM
It is true that eye candy is that first thing to peaks ones interest. Look at women, enough said there. When promoting a new release the screen shots should have variety . . .

andrewabc
July 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Why isn't intrepid using openoffice 3.0 beta?
openoofice 3.0 is supposed to be released in september. I guess they are waiting fro a more confirmed released date to make sure to include it?

sharks
July 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM
why Isn't Intrepid Using Openoffice 3.0 Beta?
Openoofice 3.0 Is Supposed To Be Released In September. I Guess They Are Waiting Fro A More Confirmed Released Date To Make Sure To Include It?

+1

rickyjones
July 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
off topic
@rickyjones:
Download the theme to your desktop and then put it in a theme folder in your home file. Next open:System>Preferences>Theme. Click on Install Theme, and point it to your theme folder, and it will install automatically.

Thanks! Also Thanks to Anurag_panda.

jespdj
July 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I just hate the dark theme! Why is the default theme going to be white letters on a dark gray background? Who decides this?

The colours are just ugly and white letters on a dark background is just strange, and doesn't make the GUI more clear or easier to use. There are also black letters on a medium gray background, which makes the contrast between the letters and the background less, which makes the text harder to read.

The dark theme is not an improvement, it's a step back in user friendliness.

Look at this OpenOffice.org Writer screenshot (http://news.softpedia.com/images/extra/LINUX/large/ubuntu810alpha2-large_018.jpg). The "paper" is DARK GRAY with black text on it. Come on man! Writer will be totally useless if it would look like this. It's totally stupid.

If it stays like this, then the first thing I'll change after installing Ibex when it is out is the theme. I hope the old, normal black text on light background theme will also be included as an option.

MrJoeyUK
July 15th, 2008, 04:05 PM
As long as it doesn't screw up my wireless card again :)

July 15th, 2008, 04:10 PM
The theme...good thing it's customizable :D

BDNiner
July 15th, 2008, 04:17 PM
it is great that the themes are customizable but that doesn't mean that the default theme has to be crap. most computer users do not change from the default theme.

Nano Geek
July 15th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Sorry, but that theme really is ugly. I commend the art team for trying new things, but that theme just doesn't look good.

Something lighter would look a lot better.

kevdog
July 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Ibex better have fixed the random freezing issue -- or I will not care what it looks like -- b/c I won't be using it!

fatality_uk
July 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM
How about a nice field scene as a desktop, with graduated blue panels and make the Gnome Menu have like a flag in it, and then add a touch of...

Now wait, scrap that!

Canis familiaris
July 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM
How about a nice field scene as a desktop, with graduated blue panels and make the Gnome Menu have like a flag in it, and then add a touch of...

Now wait, scrap that!

Wait! That reminds me of something...

rickyjones
July 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Now wait, scrap that!

Say what you want about the default XP desktop. I'm not advocating using anything close to that but that Ubuntu needs to come at the theme from the same perspective as Microsoft. I'm fairly confident that Microsoft did several marketing studies with average people to come up with the default blue and green look. I know I rarely change the theme from the default because it works really well.

-Richard

SomeGuyDude
July 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM

It's Ubuntu, we have an idea of what it'll be like for the most part. The theme's the major change. It's not like II is going to suddenly do something crazy functionally speaking. The biggest thing for Hardy was the change to PulseAudio and that isn't even noticeable for most people.

aaaantoine
July 15th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I kinda like the clearlooks styled window frame. I'd probably take this theme and mess with the colors.

My biggest problem with the current theme? Not nearly enough contrast. Not only is it a murky color, but it's also flat.

Canis familiaris
July 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Say what you want about the default XP desktop. I'm not advocating using anything close to that but that Ubuntu needs to come at the theme from the same perspective as Microsoft. I'm fairly confident that Microsoft did several marketing studies with average people to come up with the default blue and green look. I know I rarely change the theme from the default because it works really well.

-Richard

Personally I have only recently changed the default theme of Ubuntu. The default look in Hardy is unassuming, easy to the eye just like XP's default look is.
I only dont like the look of Intrepid Alpha. If I get that in the final version I'll change that ASAP.

rickyjones
July 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Personally I have only recently changed the default theme of Ubuntu. The default look in Hardy is unassuming, easy to the eye just like XP's default look is.
I only dont like the look of Intrepid Alpha. If I get that in the final version I'll change that ASAP.

I agree with you. When I've been booting into Ubuntu 8.04.1 I like the theme. It is simple and easy on the eyes. Although I do think more blue should be incorporated in the future - it is a more calming color than orange I think.

-Richard

Methuselah
July 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
No to ubuntu looking like XP or Mac.
Yes to brown.

Nonetheless, I'm far more interested in the non-theme improvements.

Canis familiaris
July 15th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Nonetheless, I'm far more interested in the non-theme improvements.
+1
Faster Bootup Time! Anybody?

Sand & Mercury
July 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'd like them to look back to how the theme was in the early days, such as in Hoary... I don't actually remember what it looks like exactly, but it had some strange, coffee-flavoured calm to it... it'd be nice if they were able to carry that over for this next release.

People need to note here that the default theme is only dark now for testing how various programs work with dark themes... they've said plenty of times now it won't be that way in the final release.

EDIT: Actually, after looking up screenshots of 5.04 I realise the default theme was in fact horrible... though the wallpaper was lovely. :lol:

Foster Grant
July 15th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Sorry, but that theme really is ugly. I commend the art team for trying new things, but that theme just doesn't look good.

Something lighter would look a lot better.

I agree. Death to brown/orange with overly dark wallpaper. (Yes, it's easily changed ... but they need to try to improve it on their own.)

Honestly, extending hardware support should take priority over a new theme which I won't use anyway.

billgoldberg
July 15th, 2008, 08:07 PM
What's wrong with that theme?

Sure it's not the best looking one ever created but it sure beats the standard 8.04 one.

And chances are, that theme won't make it into the final anyway.

aaaantoine
July 15th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Honestly, extending hardware support should take priority over a new theme which I won't use anyway.

Yes.

But, artwork guys aren't cut from the same cloth as hardware driver guys.