PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Persario 5838 + Linux

Lord Xeb
July 15th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Here are the specs: http://www0.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Compaq-Presario-5838-153298-053

What version of Linux do you think I should install? It has BIOS from 1999!!!! and the cutoff point for Mepis was 2000. I am not sure if Ubuntu, let alone any current Linux flavor, will install on such an acient machine.

what do you guys think? It actually boots pretty fast for a 500Mhz machine :D but Mepis really hated it :/ and I am not sure what to install. Xubuntu? redhat? Some odd version I have never heard of?

Polygon
July 15th, 2008, 11:27 PM
i have a computer with a 400mhz cpu and i upgraded it so it has like 350 something mb of ram, and xubuntu is a tad bit slow on it, but its usuable

so if your gonna install ubuntu, use one of those super-duper lite window managers, but no harm in trying it out with a live cd of xubuntu

Eclipse.
July 16th, 2008, 12:37 AM
It will blaze on DSL, Xubuntu isnt very light imho.There is also a thread in the Other OS forum all about OS for really old machines.

dizee
July 16th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Puppy linux would fly on that machine. It's a very fully featured and good-looking distro for its size as well. Xubuntu would work but would probably be a bit slow for it, maybe another Xfce-based distro like Zenwalk would work better.

Lord Xeb
July 16th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I think I am going to stick with Xubuntu since I the buntu series by heart and can get them up and running quickly. Are there any other xfce distros out there that run debian or redhat?

It has like 4 sticks of 128mb of ram. so that is 512. and it has a 20GB HDD >_>