PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy part II: What about Microsoft?

ryaxnb
July 15th, 2008, 05:57 AM
If you had control over MS, but couldn't just stomp them out of existence, (e.g. VERY powerful antitrust ruling) how would you get them to be fairer?
* Split-up? Windows/Office/Enertainment/HomeBusiness or what?
* Rules? Bundling?
* And more...
Just state what you think would be the best way to restrict 'em a little bit to be more fair.:popcorn:

the_hardy_kid
July 15th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Well, I would make all the software free.

I mean hey, the dudes are all billionaires anyway...

Vitamin-Carrot
July 15th, 2008, 06:25 AM
is this one of those disscussions that come up all the time?

Le-Froid
July 15th, 2008, 06:39 AM
1) Port software to linux
2) Reduce prices by a lot
3) Make windows closed source with open source components (including the kernel and some important parts of windowze)
4) Make sure their products don't suck before release

brunovecchi
July 15th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I would make Windows entirely Open Source (yeah you heard me), like Mozilla did with Firefox. I know it might be like opening a can of worms (hey, that code looks familiar...) but it would be fun.
I would also stop bundling Windows with hardware, and try to regain the market by improving the overall performance on lower-spec computers so that people will freely choose it.

hellion0
July 15th, 2008, 12:21 PM
At the least, I'd open the sources of the older versions of Windows. Beyond that? I don't know.

wrtpeeps
July 15th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I'd change nothing and watch as my bank account fills up.

Martiini
July 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Someone should force Microsoft to publish their code and release all their software under GPL , seriously ..
.. but its never going to happen, because that would undermine democray .. if any legislative body ever made a decision like that.

wrtpeeps
July 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Someone should force Microsoft to publish their code and release all their software under GPL , seriously ..
.. but its never going to happen, because that would undermine democray .. if any legislative body ever made a decision like that.

Thankfully such orders will never be passed.

lisati
July 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Well, I would make all the software free.

I mean hey, the dudes are all billionaires anyway...
Or at least seriously reduce the price (along with the amount of bloatware included)

is this one of those disscussions that come up all the time?

Maybe, but it strikes me more as a "what would you change" than out-and-out Microsoft-bashin.

BTW, the first multi-tasking system I did any real programming for managed to get by without any real need for things like message loops.....and that included interactive stuff.