PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Access to downloaded cached files

texas.chef94
July 14th, 2008, 04:43 PM
From an absolutely first time user. I can download the packages its having access to the cached locally for installation that mystifies me.
Please advise and thank you for dealing with such a basic concern

Allen

sbassett
July 14th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Allen -

Are you asking "why in the world are they kept around??"? If so, it is for reinstalling packages (that way, the system does not have to download them again). If I am completely missing your point, I apologize and please disregard my response.

Vivaldi Gloria
July 14th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I can download the packages its having access to the cached locally for installation that mystifies me.

Sorry mate, but I don't understand your question.

I can download the packages its
what is "its" ?

having access to the cached locally
cached locally what?

for installation that mystifies me.
installation of what? where?

Can you give an example? Are you installing things using synaptic?

bwang
July 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM
If you want to access the cached packages, they are kept in /var/cache/apt

fancypiper
July 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I suggest using Synaptic in order to install your software.

What did you use?

texas.chef94
July 15th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Sorry to be so vague but I have not a clue what Synaptic is. I went to add remove and unchecked what I did not want and checked what I did want. It went through the download process and it tells me they are cached locally. What I am asking is how do I get to them, create an icon on desktop and click on it to access the file. I hope that clears up what I failed to say initially.
Allen

fancypiper
July 15th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Synaptic is one of the package managers. Access it by:

System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager

I suspect the programs are installed. Can you find them in the menues (probably Applications)? If so, right click on the menu item and choose "Add this launcher to desktop"

Vivaldi Gloria
July 15th, 2008, 01:20 AM
What I am asking is how do I get to them, create an icon on desktop and click on it to access the file.

They must be added to the applications menu. If not, then what are the applications?

Also, synaptic is in top panel > system menu > admin > synaptic. It's the champion of "add-remove apps" type of programs.