PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Ruby.

untermensch
July 14th, 2008, 04:35 PM
So, I started working with Ruby a few months ago? Maybe early May or somewhere in that time period..

I started by reading Chris Pine's book, Learn to Program. Then I started reading parts of Programming Ruby, by the Pragmatic Programmers. However, I've hit sort of a snag.. People say it's best to try coding all the time.. But I can't think of anything to make when I have such little experience/knownledge. Where could I get ideas? What are things I should work on? Are there any other good books for learning?

sorry if this made little sense.. it's early

thanks =]

Zed
July 14th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Try looking through the archives of the Ruby Quiz of the Week (http://www.rubyquiz.com/). Best of all, after you've implemented something, you can look through other people's solutions and the write-up to get lots of ideas about how else it could have been done.

pmasiar
July 14th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Project Euler starts with trivial math-based tasks. See also my wiki for more tasks (you can solve them in Ruby instead of Python)

untermensch
July 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Awesome, thanks for the tips. =] maybe I can get better

untermensch
July 14th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Project Euler starts with trivial math-based tasks. See also my wiki for more tasks (you can solve them in Ruby instead of Python)

Do you use Ruby ?

Why not make a wiki for Ruby?

LaRoza
July 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Do you use Ruby ?

Why not make a wiki for Ruby?

He probably uses Python ;)

My wiki has Ruby on it (among many other languages)

untermensch
July 15th, 2008, 03:05 AM
He probably uses Python ;)

My wiki has Ruby on it (among many other languages)

He could use Ruby too =p

Thanks I'll check it out.