Micro Rotors
November 4th, 2005, 01:58 AM
What is the differance between;

Ubuntu Breezy
Debian 3.1 Sarge
Knoppix 4.0

erikpiper
November 4th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Ubuntu is based of Debian. So is knoppix. Knoppix is a live cd.

phanboy_iv
November 4th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Debian is geared more toward servers, although a lot of people use it as a desktop system.

Knoppix is a Debian-based Live CD with the KDE desktop as default.

Ubuntu is a Debian variant that is based on the latest Debian packages customized for Ubuntu, and is
easy to install and use, and less cluttered than Knoppix.

Ubuntu also has a server edition, and a live CD, however.

Of course there are other differences....

Micro Rotors
November 4th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks Guys,

The reason I asked is because I want to try another Linux Distro. Not that there is anything wrong with Ubuntu, in fact I like it. It's easy and a lot more simpler than Red Hat that I tried almost years ago and couldn't get the hang of it so I gave up on Linux untill now. As with anything you learn it is always best to have more than one point of view so I would like to add another Distro that is not like Ubuntu to my computer so that I could see how that one works and feels.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bill

Kyral
November 4th, 2005, 06:51 PM
I'm gonna be shot for saying this (I may do it myself), but if you want a challenge and learn a lot about your computer at the same time, try Gentoo on for size.

I'd also try ArchLinux (Its popular right now in my Linux lab), Slackware, MEPIS, SuSE. Hell just go down the list at DistroWatch and try them at random ;P

davgard
November 4th, 2005, 07:07 PM
one of the easiest to install is mandiva (used to be mandrake) it is one of the best desktop versions I've used. almost installs itself, pretty fast depending on your system, very user friendly. however I personally am having problems with the latest distro's. others people are not, the thought is that I may be having some hardware issues. but a very nice distro overall.

good luck

dave

Micro Rotors
November 4th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks Guys,

Kyral, If you could could you help us on this thread, you seem to have solved all my other problems. ;) Thanks

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=86090

lexor
November 4th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I downloaded a copy of Gentoo a few days ago and I was like darn I need to compile this myself ! Sure sounds fun tho and a good learning experance.

As soon as I can get the user guide printed out I will give it ago in my spare time. I have seen afew screen shots and from what I understand its very much like Ubuntu as its based on Debian.

I have used a few Linux distros, well I should say installed in the past and Ubuntu is the only one that has lasted more than a week on the hard drive before getting wiped off !

Almost everything about Ubuntu makes me enjoy useing it, and whats more its still free :D

Moonbuzz
November 5th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Sorry for hijacking this, but while on the matter, I'm in a bit of a need.
I want to install Linux on my old (ancient, actually) Laptop. It's very low on resources, i.e. Pen III 800, 64 MB RAM. I basically need it for when I'm away from home, to work on my coding, so it doesn't need anything but developer material, although a solid IDE will be welcomed. I used Ubuntu Hoary with FluxBox until I had to install Win98 on it a while ago, now I'm looking at Linux again. I would re-install Hoary, or Breezy, but the Laptop isn't internet connected, so adding packages is a bitch.
Any ideas?

John.Michael.Kane
November 5th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Moonbuzz http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ should fit your needs.

mlomker
November 5th, 2005, 02:47 AM
The reason I asked is because I want to try another Linux Distro. Not that there is anything wrong with Ubuntu, in fact I like it.

If you want to learn something foreign, then I think the most valuable would be Fedora (a Redhat system that uses .rpm's). Next on the list for me would be Gentoo and Mandrake. If you want to try a *nix operating system that isn't even linux, then knowing something about BSD is worthwhile...but it's very different.

poofyhairguy
November 5th, 2005, 02:57 AM
If you want to learn something foreign, then I think the most valuable would be Fedora (a Redhat system that uses .rpm's). Next on the list for me would be Gentoo and Mandrake. If you want to try a *nix operating system that isn't even linux, then knowing something about BSD is worthwhile...but it's very different.

Explain more. I have an old system thats not doing anything now. What BSD is the easiest to install, or can give you the best taste of what BSD can do on the desktop?

John.Michael.Kane
November 5th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Since we on the subject of distros and bsd being brought up has anyone try turning a laptop in to a file server.

xequence
November 5th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Explain more. I have an old system thats not doing anything now. What BSD is the easiest to install, or can give you the best taste of what BSD can do on the desktop?

Id like to know that too, so ill stay tuned.

Omnios
November 5th, 2005, 03:44 AM

I have a P2 Huston teck motherboard on a p2 that is not Linux complient, BSD just got my attention. What will run on a non linux compient motherboard and biosy.