PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Python Beginner -> Advanced

kpkeerthi
July 14th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I'm done reading "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz. I'm now comfortable with the language fundamentals. Can someone recommend me some suggested readings or books that would help me move to the next level?

LaRoza
July 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
What is the next level?

Just learn more in an area that interests you.

Tuna-Fish
July 14th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I'm done reading "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz. I'm now comfortable with the language fundamentals. Can someone recommend me some suggested readings or books that would help me move to the next level?

I don't think you can become advanced level by reading books. Start coding something that interests you, even if you don't exactly know how to make it yet. Ask advice and solve problems as they crop up, you'll learn faster that way.

themusicwave
July 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM
If you liked learning Python you could read Programming Python by the same author. It is quite a hefty book, but covers a lot of materials. I particularly enjoyed the TKinter part of it, I haven't found any other guides quite as good on the subject. I'm not sure I prefer TKinter to other options, but as far as guides for it go it was good.

It will touch on all range of topic in Python including system scripting, GUI, CGI and lots of other topics.

My one complaint with the book is it seems geared more toward Windows, often his example will say "C:\...", but no a big deal.

pmasiar
July 14th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Start solving training tasks (see my wiki): Project Euler, Python Challenge etc. Learn what you need to solve.

kpkeerthi
July 15th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I believe in hands-on approach and I prefer to do that by reading a book, so I will learn the subject systematically, rather than picking materials off the web adhoc.

Found (http://safari.oreilly.com/0596100469?tocview=true) what I was looking for.

:)