PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome/Nautilus recognize every file as a text file

o.besner
July 14th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I have a very strange problem with my Ubuntu installation.

Every file type, may it be an mp3, mkv, or a jpeg, has a "text" icon (like a.txt). It's very annoying, and because of this every movie/song/shortcut i try to open won't work. I have to manually associate every file with it's right program, shortcuts won't launch, and i'm confusing .tar with .txt files :S

How do I correct this ?

BLTicklemonster
July 14th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Try right clicking on an mp3, and to to open with other application, then choose a media player.

o.besner
July 14th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hmm. Thanks Buddy, but I think I wasn't clear enough. My bad. It's a little more complicated than this :(

I took a screenshot, to make it clearer. Every file on my computer is listed as a text file. So "right-clicking" and "choosing open with" is what I've been doing for a while now. But I ahve to do it every time I open anything, and it's getting tedious.

As you can see on the snapshot of my desktop, the .flac audio file is listed as a plain text file. I can tell nautilus to open it with exaile, but if I do this every file on my computer will automatically be opened with exaile, from music files to archive tar.gz, since every file is detected as a "plain text file"

BLTicklemonster
July 14th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Dangit, I'm on a windows machine at work, and my ubuntu laptop is at home.

right click, choose open with, then at the bottom, you should have a place to choose a different way to open, normally if you click that, you can have a spot to check where you can set it to always open with this application.

the other way is to tell the program you're using to always open such and such files. I'm not swift in this part of linux, I've never seen it, but I have read posts saying it exists.

sorry I can help more.

enthus
November 8th, 2008, 04:33 PM
i met the same problem, but i do not know how to fix it.

somebody help. :-)

enthus
November 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
i have solved this problem by reinstalling the package nautilus.