PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] new to ubuntu never used before ubuntu hangs at 15%

debray6379
July 14th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Hi all I was wondering if anyone could help please I have a Mercury iCom and when ubuntu gets to the 15% detecting file system stage it stops dead but runs fine until then I'm not 100% sure about my pc but I think it has a 40gb hard drive and I don't know about the RAM {sorry}:confused:
it's an old pc about 3 to 5 years maybe???
If anyone can please advise me on how to fix this problem please please please HELP HELP HELP!!!??????
thanks in advance

overdrank
July 14th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Hi all I was wondering if anyone could help please I have a Mercury iCom and when ubuntu gets to the 15% detecting file system stage it stops dead but runs fine until then I'm not 100% sure about my pc but I think it has a 40gb hard drive and I don't know about the RAM {sorry}:confused:
If anyone can please advise me on how to fix this problem please please please HELP HELP HELP!!!??????
thanks in advance

Hi and welcome, Have you check the cd for errors and Then you may want to do a checksum on the cd
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
this link I think may help
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
And specs on the system will help also.

VMC
July 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
thanks in advance
What are you trying to install ubuntu 8.04 ? If it's a Livecd, meaning it will boot up to a complete linux system, will that work.

A little more informations is needed. If you can get it to boot up to a livecd then that would help. We can then move forward.

Assuming it is a ubuntu 8.04 LTS and it is a Livecd, on the first page there is something called Media Check. Do that first. It will verify your cd disk.

avtolle
July 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I note that you are not sure of the RAM on the computer. Without knowing that, my ability to help is limited. However, I would say to properly install using the Live CD requires 384 mb RAM to use the graphical installer. If you think you have less than that, but at least 256 mb RAM, then I suggest using the alternate install iso burned to CD.