PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Refurbished MBP or New XPS M1330?

Mattaus
July 14th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Hi all,

You might have guessed what I'm asking here from the title (der!) but I guess I need to provide my own thoughts on the matter so you have a better understanding as to why I'm even considering this (as any sane person IMHO would buy the incredibly cheaper Dell)

I'm in Australia, and as a result any electronics are ridiculously marked up. Given the exchange rate is almost at parity the Mac Book Pro Base model new is $2699 here (as opposed to $1999 in the US) If the price was closer to that $2k mark I would have almost no doubts as to what laptop to purchase. The XPS I'm looking at is again the base model and sells for $1499. The specs for the 2 models are as follows:

Refurbished Mac Book Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
120GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVDR DL/DVDRW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
You may receive glossy or non glossy screen

New Dell XPS M1330
2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
160GB hard drive
Slot load 8X max DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS with 128MB of GDDR3 memory

The refurbished MBP is selling for AU$1899. The Dell as stated before is AU$1499.

I have never used OS X before however I am looking at making my previous 'small' hobby of video editing and digital art work (I use Adobe Photoshop, Premier Pro, After Effects and Encore extensively) a little more seriously now. Further to this my mates and I have recently started to take our band a little more seriously so audio software will become more important to me as well.

I game a fair bit as well, however I have a rather expensive desktop PC for that. In all likely hood at the moment if I did buy the Mac, I'd have to triple boot OS X, XP and Ubuntu as all my Adobe products are XP based. I have no specific 'need' for Ubuntu but use it purely because I like it better for anything that does not require Micro$oft's intervention. If I could 100% switch to Ubuntu I probably would.

I've read through the Apple forums on these fair pages and have spent the better part of a month tossing up my options. I think the looks of the MBP are whats attracting me to the damn thing! I need to make it known that initially I was after a light weight machine (hence the 1330 as opposed to the 1530) but I am prepared to forgo that for the MBP.

Is the extra effort in setting the MBP up worth it? Will OS X + XP + Ubuntu cause more problems than its worth?

Seems stupid but I'm really struggling to decide lol. So Im just after people's general thoughts. I'm not easily swayed by popular opinion but if it is undeniably true then I tend to follow the crowd.

Any help you guys wish to share would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Acglaphotis
July 14th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I'd pick the Dell. Triple booting may be an issue with so little space (120gb).

xelapond
July 14th, 2008, 06:36 AM
The novelty of Mac OS wears off after about a week. Get the dell, save yourself the grief.

Mattaus
July 14th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Hmm, that was a consideration, but seen as for both systems I'll be installing (changing) them to include 3GB of RAM I could just do the same for the HDD as well.

Though thats more money that I havnt thought about, pushing the cost over that $2000 mark.

Mattaus
July 14th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Well I guess if OS X will get boring that leaves more room for a dual boot...

I havea feeling I'm being wooed by pretty boxes than physical capability. It's just so hard to ignore when my co-workers all have MACs and parade them around like damn trophies lol.

So purty.

OutOfReach
July 14th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Personally I would go with the Dell, but thats just me. :popcorn:

joninkrakow
July 14th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Well I guess if OS X will get boring that leaves more room for a dual boot...

I havea feeling I'm being wooed by pretty boxes than physical capability. It's just so hard to ignore when my co-workers all have MACs and parade them around like damn trophies lol.

So purty.

"Mac OS=boring" is a personal opinion. Others, myself included, would say the opposite. OSX grows on you. I hated it at first, but I have come to appreciate it for the little things.

To be fair, to me, Ubuntu also grows on you, but OSX is hardly a lightweight when it comes to daily use. If you get the MBP, I bet you will find that you boot less and less into Windows over time. That's my guess, based on people I know who have switched to either Mac or Linux. At first, they think they'll be heavily dependent on Windows, but suddenly wake up one day, and realize they haven't booted Windows for days or weeks.

When it comes to hardware, I would look at the support records for these two specific models. Try to find some data as to reliability and ease of service, etc. If you buy refurbished, get it from Apple, and you will have the genius bar for help, as well as phone service. Compare the two companies' phone service, and decide if you can live with what they offer. IMO, the more systems you can boot, the better.

As to the 120 gig drive, four partitions of 30 gig might do you--use one for MacOS, one for Win, and one for Linux, and one for Home. Actually, you could reduce all three of the system partitions, depending on their needs--maybe 5 gig for Ubuntu and possibly OSX, and 10 for Windows, and the rest for home... You can upgrade the hard drive later, IMO.

Or, you could buy the Dell... ;-)

-Jon

Lord DarkPat
July 14th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I'd go with the dell, and you can always install Mac on a Dell(it's the most supported laptop in the hackintosh prject) and MBP & Mac is all looks, you can get the sam functions on ubuntu!

Acglaphotis
July 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I'd go with the dell, and you can always install Mac on a Dell(it's the most supported laptop in the hackintosh prject) and MBP & Mac is all looks, you can get the sam functions on ubuntu!

That's a pretty cool idea.

gn2
July 14th, 2008, 06:10 PM
If it was me I would go for this (http://tinyurl.com/6peo85) and save a fair bit of cash.

Kernel Sanders
July 14th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I own a dell xps m1330, and I cant praise it highly enough. Just pure win!

:guitar:

Mattaus
July 14th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Man Kate Beckinsale is hot....

Um, sorry. Yeah looks like I'll be going the Dell purely on price. I'm spending my tax refund on this so I'm kinda aiming to keep some for savings and a little issue involving my car and an idiot neighbour who decided to park in a very bad place.

I might leave the Macbook Pro for another year :(