PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu.org's "Developer-Friendly"

Vadi
July 14th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Read this on the new kubuntu.org website:

"In the Ubuntu project, we care about our advanced developer-hopeful users. You can easily turn your machine into a test server, install many high-quality IDEs and discuss the lastest software trends with our large and friendly community. "

Is it just me or did they completely miss out on tips how to make, deploy, and support an application on 'buntu? Which is sort of crucial to a developer?

Just bugs me when they say it's developer friendly. Maybe they meant contributing to the project itself and not making any programs for it...

Jucato
July 14th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I don't get it. What's the problem here? You see a page titled "Take the tour" and somehow you expect it to have "tips on how to make, deploy, and support an application on 'buntu"?

Development, in a GNU/Linux distribution, is not limited to those you mentioned. Development also includes packaging, translation, bug fixes, etc.

Maybe they meant contributing to the project itself and not making any programs for it...

What's the difference? Aren't you contributing to the project by making programs for it? Or do you mean making programs for GNU/Linux in general? If it's the latter, you'd probably be bugged to know that neither does Ubuntu specifically does that either. Most of the developer documentation on Ubuntu is about packaging software or developing software for Ubuntu. I really can't see the issue here.

Vadi
July 14th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah I guess it's only for the project itself, not the platform to deploy on.

Which really sucks, because we definitely could use more commercial apps (and games) on Linux. Instead it's more of a selfish attitude which really doesn't help anyone.