PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linux on a flash drive?

patrickaupperle
July 14th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I noticed that fedora has a live usb creator now, and was wandering whether it was possible to make ubuntu install to a usb easily. I was looking around and unetbootin looks like it might work. What do you all think? Should I just put fedora on my usb, or is there a nice and easy way of putting ubuntu on there?

Pumalite
July 14th, 2008, 03:33 AM
You can install Hardy to a 4 GB or bigger Flash Drive as if you were installing to a regular hard drive. Run:
sudo fdisk -lu
You will find the /dev of your Flash drive. In step 8, go to 'Advanced Tab' and change (hd0) for /dev/???

Rallg
July 14th, 2008, 04:16 AM
As an alternative to installing Ubuntu (or any Linux) to a USB drive, you can also install Linux (but NOT the bootloader) to your hard drive, and separately install an alternative bootloader to a bootable USB drive (for example, using Grub4DOS). The advantage of doing it that way: Linux is on your hard drive (would be faster), but your computer's MBR is not changed. You couldn't boot to Linux without the USB.

patrickaupperle
July 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM
You can install Hardy to a 4 GB or bigger Flash Drive as if you were installing to a regular hard drive. Run:
sudo fdisk -lu
You will find the /dev of your Flash drive. In step 8, go to 'Advanced Tab' and change (hd0) for /dev/???

Would that really work? Are there any adverse effects on the flash drive? How much space would be left for programs and customizations on a 4 gig flash drive?

cszikszoy
July 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Everything you need to know is here:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05/08/usb-ubuntu-804-persistent-install-via-the-live-cd/

patrickaupperle
July 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Everything you need to know is here:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05/08/usb-ubuntu-804-persistent-install-via-the-live-cd/

If that is the best way of doing it, then I will just use the fedora live usb creator. That looks too complicated.

cszikszoy
July 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
If that is the best way of doing it, then I will just use the fedora live usb creator. That looks too complicated.

What's complicated about it? Every step is spelled out in detail. I've done this before and it really only takes about 10 minutes max.

Pumalite
July 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I have 3 Hardies in 8 GB Pendrives. I use them everywhere I go.

patrickaupperle
July 15th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I have 3 Hardies in 8 GB Pendrives. I use them everywhere I go.

8 gig? I only have a 4 gig.:mad: Is that enough?

Pumalite
July 15th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I haven't tried it, but there are several post in the Forum that suggest that it is. Try it. If it doesn't work; try this:

cszikszoy
July 15th, 2008, 10:04 AM
4 gig is fine. I've put it on a 4 gig before. Actually, 2 gig is fine as well. I've tried to put it on a 2 gig flash drive and everything was fine.

patrickaupperle
July 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
4 gig is fine. I've put it on a 4 gig before. Actually, 2 gig is fine as well. I've tried to put it on a 2 gig flash drive and everything was fine.

It? Does that mean Hardy installed normally, hardy live w/persistence, or Fedora?

tact
July 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM
There is a much easier way to get a bootable ubuntu install on a USB stick - but what you end up with is just like a liveCD, just on USB not CD. So no persistence (and in a lot of situations thats good!) plus you can do installs from the USB drive just like from liveCD.

What you need:
- Download the latest hardy liveCD ISO - v8.04.1
- A USB stick (1GB is plenty)
- go download this handy utility that automatically takes whats on the liveCD and puts it onto the USB stick and makes it bootable: https://launchpad.net/~probono/+archive (https://launchpad.net/%7Eprobono/+archive)

(Just add the repo for the hardy version to your software sources, and apt-get it.)

You do not even need a CDROM drive - you can make the liveUSB direct from the ubuntu liveCD ISO without even burning it to a CD. Instead - mount the "ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso" on /media/cdrom

sudo mount -o loop /home/your_username/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso /media/cdrom
(assumes the ISO file is in your home folder)

Then insert your USB stick into a USB port, run the liveUSB install program (System>Admin>Install LiveUSB), make sure that the correct USB device is selected as the target... and watch the magic.

(BTW all data on the USB stick will be wiped off in the process - so make sure you have no treasures stored on it first).

patrickaupperle
July 15th, 2008, 06:46 PM
There is a much easier way to get a bootable ubuntu install on a USB stick - but what you end up with is just like a liveCD, just on USB not CD. So no persistence (and in a lot of situations thats good!) plus you can do installs from the USB drive just like from liveCD.

What you need:
- Download the latest hardy liveCD ISO - v8.04.1
- A USB stick (1GB is plenty)
- go download this handy utility that automatically takes whats on the liveCD and puts it onto the USB stick and makes it bootable: https://launchpad.net/~probono/+archive (https://launchpad.net/%7Eprobono/+archive)

(Just add the repo for the hardy version to your software sources, and apt-get it.)

You do not even need a CDROM drive - you can make the liveUSB direct from the ubuntu liveCD ISO without even burning it to a CD. Instead - mount the "ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso" on /media/cdrom

sudo mount -o loop /home/your_username/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso /media/cdrom
(assumes the ISO file is in your home folder)

Then insert your USB stick into a USB port, run the liveUSB install program (System>Admin>Install LiveUSB), make sure that the correct USB device is selected as the target... and watch the magic.

(BTW all data on the USB stick will be wiped off in the process - so make sure you have no treasures stored on it first).

Sounds cool, but I really want persistance. Thank you anyway, though.

mikaelstaldal
July 15th, 2008, 11:09 PM

It doesn't have to be so complicated has they do.

You don't have to make two partitions on the USB drive, just make one big ext2 partition and use EXTLINUX (part of the SYSLINUX package) to boot from it.

patrickaupperle
July 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM
It doesn't have to be so complicated has they do.

You don't have to make two partitions on the USB drive, just make one big ext2 partition and use EXTLINUX (part of the SYSLINUX package) to boot from it.

I have no idea what extlinux or syslinux are. Could you please provide some more detailed instructions?

mikaelstaldal
July 18th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I have no idea what extlinux or syslinux are. Could you please provide some more detailed instructions?

Have a look at its homepage:
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/EXTLINUX

The SYSLINUX package is available for Ubuntu, just do:

sudo apt-get install syslinux

Do like this:

Boot from the Ubuntu install CD-ROM
Insert the Flash disk you want to install to
Select the flash drive during install and create one big ext2 partition on it
Let The Ubuntu install program install onto it.
Remove the CD-ROM and try to boot from the flash disk.

If the flash disk fails to boot, do this:

Boot from the install CD-ROM again
Select "start without modify computer" (or whatever it is named)
Insert the flash disk
Open a terminal

Mount the ext2 partition on the flash disk in /media/usbdisk

sudo extlinux -i /media/usbdisk/boot
Create a syslinux.conf in /media/usbdisk/boot and point out the kernel and initrd.img

sudo -i

cat /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin > /dev/sda (or whatever device your flash disk uses)

exit
Remove the CD-ROM and boot from the flash disk.

patrickaupperle
July 18th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Have a look at its homepage:
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/EXTLINUX

The SYSLINUX package is available for Ubuntu, just do:

Do like this:

Boot from the Ubuntu install CD-ROM
Insert the Flash disk you want to install to
Select the flash drive during install and create one big ext2 partition on it
Let The Ubuntu install program install onto it.
Remove the CD-ROM and try to boot from the flash disk.

If the flash disk fails to boot, do this:

Boot from the install CD-ROM again
Select "start without modify computer" (or whatever it is named)
Insert the flash disk
Open a terminal

Mount the ext2 partition on the flash disk in /media/usbdisk

sudo extlinux -i /media/usbdisk/boot
Create a syslinux.conf in /media/usbdisk/boot and point out the kernel and initrd.img

sudo -i

cat /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin > /dev/sda (or whatever device your flash disk uses)

exit
Remove the CD-ROM and boot from the flash disk.

Thank you. Is that completely safe for my hd and usb? I won't accidentally screw up my mbr or something stupid will I?

jimv
July 18th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I just installed Hardy on my 4gb thumbdrive yesterday. I booted from the CD, opened the installer, chose my thumbdrive, and hit install. It worked just fine.

NOTE: On the last screen before doing the install, click the advanced button and tell it to install GRUB onto the thumbdrive, not your HD.

Pumalite
July 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Before you reboot; edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and make 'groot' and 'root' (hd0,0)

patrickaupperle
July 19th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Thank you everyone, I will be trying this soon.

mikaelstaldal
July 20th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Thank you. Is that completely safe for my hd and usb? I won't accidentally screw up my mbr or something stupid will I?

It will alter the MBR of the USB flash disk, but it should not affect your HDD.

(Each disk, also USB flash disks, has an MBR.)