PDA

View Full Version : Eid Mubarak!

Quest-Master
November 3rd, 2005, 11:20 PM
I believe most of the West is celebrating Eid-ul-Fitr (Eid Mubarak basically translates to "Congratulations, today is Eid!" in Arabic and other numerous languages) today, while places in New England are doing it tomorrow, and even other countries in Asia on Saturday, so it may be a bit early for some, but.. uh, Eid Mubarak to all of UbuntuForum's Muslims. :D

The reason different places do not celebrate this on the same day is because the Islamic calender is based on the lunar year which relies on math and sighting of the moon which depends on where it is being seen. The sight part is there because any month in the lunar year can have 29 or 30 days, so there's no real definition to it.

Anyways. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_ul_Fitr, if you want to know more about it. This is basically our equivalent to Christmas/Hanukkah or whatever, though we still have Bakr-Eid to go as well which will probably be January next year!

matthew
November 4th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Eid Mubarak saiid aliekum.

Buffalo Soldier
November 4th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Assalamualaikum. To my Muslim brothers and sisters, Eid Mubarak. We in Malaysia celebrated Eid-ul-Fitr on Thursday (that's yesterday, our local time is GMT 8+).

I believe most of the West is celebrating Eid-ul-Fitr (Eid Mubarak basically translates to "Congratulations, today is Eid!" in Arabic and other numerous languages)In Malay languange it's "Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri". Loosely translated = "safe & happy celebration of Eid-ul-Fitr".

gorkhal
November 4th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Salam brothers and sisters!!! EID MUBARAK!!! to all fellow ubuntians....

Nova Scotia, Canada celebrated on Thursday as well...cooolldddd!!!

Have a wonderful EID!! :D

bionnaki
November 4th, 2005, 04:45 AM
happy Eid Mubarak!

didit
November 6th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Ied Mubarak, "Selamat Idul Fitri" in Indonesian translation (roughly) for all moeslim ubuntu-ers :KS

Lovechild
November 6th, 2005, 04:14 PM
As an atheist I'll take any excuse to have a good meal..

Have a good eid my muslim friends

DarkManX4lf
November 7th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Eid Mubarak :)