PDA

View Full Version : Brampton, ON needs a live CD

employeeno5
July 13th, 2008, 08:44 PM
So I don't know if this is the best forum to post this in but here we go:

I'm in Manchester, NH.

I have a good friend in Brampton, Ontario who is not very computer savvy.
He uses Vista and it has either gotten malware or some kind or bad update for his hardware or something, and will not longer boot.

He does not have his Vista discs to recover or reinstall.

He desperately needs access to his files and some basic computer use.

A live CD of a decent Linux distro (such as Ubuntu of course!) would save the day for him. I'm happy to guide him through the proccess, but it will be time consuming to mail him a live cd.

Not to mention, every time I've mailed live CDs or other free software on CDs to Canadian friends, customs has snapped them in half, I think assuming that they're pirated media/software of somekind.

If there is anyone in the Toronto/Brampton area who could meet this young man and give him his first taste of why Linux wins, it would really save the day for him.
He's in a panic and worried that he can't communicate with people important to him and has many years worth of hard work and animation on his hard drive.

I know it's shot in the dark, but if anyone somewhere locally to him is able and willing to help him out, Please reply or send me a private message.

If no one locally can burn this fellow a CD. I'll try to get one to him soon. Like I've said though, I've had bad luck sending CDs through customs.

Let's help a young animator out, and who knows, maybe he'll be impressed enough with Linux that he'll start using as his regular os.

Thanks!

dizee
July 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM
have you heard of shipit? free ubuntu cds if you register a launchpad account. could sign up and send one to their address. takes a few weeks usually.
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

nick09
July 13th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I know! Tell him to go to bestbuy and tell him to buy a OS called Ubuntu as bestbuy just started selling Ubuntu.

employeeno5
July 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM
have you heard of shipit? free ubuntu cds if you register a launchpad account. could sign up and send one to their address. takes a few weeks usually.
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

I have, I was thinking about doing that. I may still try that for him. However, like you said it takes a couples weeks. This guy is kind of desperate and not taking this very well. He's under the impression everything is just gone and I had to ensure him it's not necessarily the case.
If nothing else he can't check email or anything. He's got the only computer in his house and not a lot of money.

I know! Tell him to go to bestbuy and tell him to buy a OS called Ubuntu as bestbuy just started selling Ubuntu.

That's actually a great idea for someone who needs Linux fast and doesn't have internet access. However, at least according to www.bestbuy.ca, it looks like they're not selling it Canada (yet). Also, this guy really doesn't have any money to spend. Though I would hope he could swing the $20 for Ubuntu if it is available there.

Still, it would be great if someone locally could mail a burned disc or meet him in the city or something. It would be much faster and less expensive than other options.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. Both idea may end up being a good way to go depending on what other options pan or don't pan out.

I've posted on the Toronto Craiglist Linux discussion board also. I suppose that might be a good way to get some more local eyes on this matter.

nick09
July 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM
You could try something like this:
http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/linux/ubuntu?ad=google