PDA

View Full Version : Work and Computers poll

pape
July 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Do you use computer at work, and what are the computing needs?

FuturePilot
July 13th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Still a student for now.

Mateo
July 13th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Need a pretty powerful machine at work, 2gig of memory is the minimum and what i have now. trying to convince my boss to bump me to 4gig.

RiceMonster
July 13th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I have a summer job right now, and I don't use a computer for it.

Sealbhach
July 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I have to use Windows XP at work - it's not bad. Often I have to work with large excel spreadsheets over a network so I need a fairly powerful machine.

clanky
July 13th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I work on a ship, we have:

An admin network with a server running on Windows NT (Very few problems), workstations on this network running on everything from Win98 to XP, the XP comps are very stable in terms of software, but the others freeze up occasionally.

A machinery monitoring and control system which is accessed by workstations running on windows 2000, these are a nightmare, constantly requiring reboots etc, but this is mostly due to the software running on them than the OS.

A navigation systems network running in Linux, this is just about as buggy as the machinery control system, but again more to do with what is running on it than the actual OS.

samjh
July 13th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I use a computer at work, and need something moderately powerful. Nothing fancy, but something that can handle Outlook, Word, Excel, two .NET applications, and several Firefox tabs at once. We've got low-spec Dell business desktops at the moment, and they are very sluggish.

gn2
July 14th, 2008, 12:06 AM
At work I have a Wyse terminal running Xp Embedded and I hate it.

barbedsaber
July 14th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I'm a High school student, but I do CAD at school, and that does take a fair bit of grunt.

Erdaron
July 14th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I do my work mostly on my laptop, which is 1.5 GHz Celeron M CPU with 1.25 GB of RAM, running XP Pro. My work is mostly dealing with Excel spreadsheets, some light CAD design and Python programming. Occasionally I'd have about a half a dozen spreadsheets open, some Word documents, and a dozen PDFs. The machine runs perfectly smoothly. I mostly hybernate it instead of shutting down. Only requires reboots on windows updates (very rare).

Of course, I've unloaded a lot of bloatware, disabled many things in the startup sequence, useless services, and got rid of Norton IS suite (replaced with Comodo and AVG). I've also combed through the registry rooting out some things. This cleanup helped a lot.