PDA

View Full Version : [kde] What is the meaning of KDE, Gnome?

mirchichamu
July 13th, 2008, 06:13 PM
What is the meaning of KDE and Gnome?

gnuvistawouldbecool
July 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM
KDE- K Desktop Environment,
GNOME- GNU Network Object Model Environment (according to wikipedia at least, though it does note that this is originally what it stood for).

KDE is a desktop which to the user could be described as being more like that of Windows, whereas GNOME is more different to an MS desktop. KDE came first but originally wasn't entirely Free and as such GNOME was started. Both are now Free.

In addition, I would personally recommend KDE(using kubuntu atm), as I quite like it, amarok is great and it was the first I ever used (or saw, likely).

Agroth
July 13th, 2008, 06:41 PM
KDE and Gnome is different desktop enviroments, which has different applications for it and looks different as well. Not sure how to explain it really, so here's the descriptions of them:

http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/ and http://www.gnome.org/ (on the right, "What is Gnome")

Hope that helps.

/Simon

mirchichamu
July 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks all for your support.I am using xubantu, but I am seeing both Gnome and KDE written im my application. awhat actually I am using. From the websites mentioned I see that KDE is like Windows. How can I install that? Please explain a little in details? Thanks.

kaboodle_fish
July 13th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Don't install KDE expecting it to be just like Windows because it is not.

KDE remains sufficiently different to Windows that if you are expecting things to work like they did under the Windows way you will be disappointed.

gnuvistawouldbecool
July 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I assume you would go to www.kde.org and download it from there, or get a kubuntu live disc/installer disc.

Obviously it isn't exactly like windows (as in, the software works all the time) but at least the menu is in the 'right' place.

Vorian Grey
July 13th, 2008, 08:29 PM
You can make either Gnome or KDE look like the other and you can install apps from either in the other. Gnome tries for more simplicity while KDE is more for people who like lots of options in adjusting things. Neither are like Windows. Both are good.

mirchichamu
July 13th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks alot for your support. If it is not like windows and possiblity of problems then I will better not install.

silkstone
July 13th, 2008, 08:32 PM
You can run Gnome applications under KDE and KDE applications under Gnome - you just need the relevant library files and dependencies which are included automatically if you install the applications with Synaptic. So, for example, you can use Amarok or DigiKam with Gnome. You can even have both Gnome and KDE installed, and choose which you want at log-in.

Personally I prefer Gnome because I find it simpler and easier to navigate.

mirchichamu
July 13th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks for your support.

nooblot
July 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM
umm ever heard of google ?
wow