PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Device Manager?

Ooder
July 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I just installed Hardy on a laptop last night. However, I cannot access the device manager. All documentation says it should be in System->Administration->Device Manager. I only see Hardware Testing and Hardware Drivers. Why can I not see the Device Manger?

Agroth
July 13th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Not sure if this is the same thing but try System -> Preferences -> Hardware Information.

Ooder
July 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I also don't see Hadware Information, only Hardware Testing and Hardware Drivers

Tim Sharitt
July 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Not sure if this is the same thing but try System -> Preferences -> Hardware Information.

The window title says Device Manager. Hope that helps.

orrcad
July 14th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I have the same thing. No Hardware Information option showing. I've tried using hardinfo via terminal but it says the package is not installed. Why would I not see something as fundamental as Hardware Information..

Ubuntu Hardy latest was used for install.
This is not helping the USB Wifi adaptor that I can't get Ubuntu to recognize...Zydas 1211.(another long story)

this is the second time i've tried Ubuntu. Second time I've run into problems.sigh.

cheers Neil

Ooder
July 14th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I have the same thing. No Hardware Information option showing. I've tried using hardinfo via terminal but it says the package is not installed. Why would I not see something as fundamental as Hardware Information..

Ubuntu Hardy latest was used for install.
This is not helping the USB Wifi adaptor that I can't get Ubuntu to recognize...Zydas 1211.(another long story)

this is the second time i've tried Ubuntu. Second time I've run into problems.sigh.

cheers Neil

I am actually trying to get a wireless adapter to work also, which is why I need to to see Hardware Information. I tired to install the gnome-device-manager package but it said it could not be found.

dancer58
July 16th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I went to http://wiki.hardinfo.org/HomePage and got the latest version.
It has been updated in SVN

I would like to see it as part of Ubuntu package also

Harold

a Tim Holt
July 30th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I've managed to use the synaptics package manager to install the gnome-device-manager in Hardy Heron, but the application completely lacks any 'advanced' option tabs. What gives? FYI, I'm following the instructions for WIFI card ndiswrapper-ing found in beginning Ubuntu Linux 2nd ed., chapter 8. None of the devices have any 'advanced' tab when selected, only a 'summary' tab. The program looks mostly the same as those figured in the book, and has the same title bar contents (i.e. "Device Manager").

linux_tech
July 30th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Did you install the hal-device manager? This is to view hardware information.