PDA

View Full Version : Would you Buy an iPhone?

ashvala
July 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM
A small question
How many of you would buy an iPhone 3G?

ad_267
July 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Not me. Just a waste of money. I would be more interested in something based on android.

adwatkin19
July 13th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I second that, i wouldn't waste my money, Waiting for the Android stuff, or a better LIMO based phone.

Go Linux on phones

ibutho
July 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I am not remotely interested in buying an iphone. It just seems to lack basic features that are available in phones from other manufacturers and the total cost of owning one is ridiculous.

Canis familiaris
July 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Not me! I would prefer to buy a faster graphics card.

chronographer
July 13th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I can't' afford it, but I would love one, if you have a spare! The FreeRunner looks like a good linux based alternative, but its interface will be pretty amateur compared with Apple's polished. glossy look.

Kevbert
July 13th, 2008, 11:51 AM
No. The iPhone is overpriced for what is does and you pay for the Apple name. It only has a 2 megapixel camera. You're also locked in to a restricted number of applications (which are probably overpriced) and the network (in most cases). If you're thinking of buying one why not take a look at HTC and Samsung phones especially the touch screen models. My personal favourites are from SonyEricsson and Nokia.

Giant Speck
July 13th, 2008, 12:28 PM
The iPhone is a totally useless eye-candy piece of crap in my opinion.

I love my Samsung Blackjack II Wine Red. I just wish they'd hurry up and release Windows Mobile 6.1 for it.

lisati
July 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM
It's overpriced, and I'd have to switch mobile carriers. I'd rather get one bill for internet, landline and mobile.
Some of the current gadgets (including iPhone) go against the idea of doing one thing, and doing it well.

NikoC
July 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Had my first generation iphone imported from the states already months ago for a very nice price, a lot lower than what you would pay now in stores in Europe (Belgium). So I'm not caughing up 500 or 600 € for the new (and imo uglier) model.

ps. there's no challenge anymore in gettings these new ones to work over here and that was also part of the reason I bought mine, the kick :guitar:

NovaAesa
July 13th, 2008, 12:40 PM
What would be the point? My current phone calls and texts. That's all I need in a phone.

LookTJ
July 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM
No, I'd save my money for something rather more useful. My current does what I need. It's tough, water/shock resistant, calls and text. All I need.

ditsch
July 13th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Yes, I did. Unfortunately, it is not available at the moment and my provider said it can last up to 3 weeks until I will finally get it. :(

lukjad
July 13th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I use my cellular telephone to... well...make phone calls. :eek:
That's it. Nothing else. No texting, e-mailing, surfing (the web or water), music listening, no pictures, nothing. Just a plain, simple telephone call. I don't want to check my e-mails at school or at work. I don't even give my cell number out.

curtis
July 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
No. The iPhone is overpriced for what is does and you pay for the Apple name. It only has a 2 megapixel camera. You're also locked in to a restricted number of applications (which are probably overpriced) and the network (in most cases). If you're thinking of buying one why not take a look at HTC and Samsung phones especially the touch screen models. My personal favourites are from SonyEricsson and Nokia.

You could always jail break and unlock the iPhone. There is a project called Cydia which brings .deb and apt-get to the iPhone.

If anyone here has one download iLiberty++ and you can unlock, jail break and activate an iPhone.

Vishal Agarwal
July 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I love my Sony Ericsson W960i. Good enough in features and storage capacity(8Gib).

Perfect Walkman series.

DigitalDuality
July 13th, 2008, 04:07 PM
d

mr.propre
July 13th, 2008, 04:14 PM
what Would Be The Point? My Current Phone Calls And Texts. That's All I Need In A Phone.

+1

pmlxuser
July 13th, 2008, 04:18 PM
i would just buy myself an Acer Aspire One + Nokia 3310 and be on the fly than buy an I phone.

Kevbert
July 13th, 2008, 04:26 PM
The problem with a lot of these new phones is that they're filled with expensive gimmicks and most people only use the phone for calls and text messages. I rarely use picture messaging and internet on the phone. They may be fancy features but I could always do without them. I'm sure many people use these things as a fashion statement.

gn2
July 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM
No way. I have a pre-pay LG KG 290 that cost £20 to buy and costs less than £10 a month in calls/texts.

I just don't need an iphone and would not buy one, even though I can get one through my work for 30% discount.

Kango_V
July 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Just saving a bit more money to buy my FreeRunner (Openmoko). The thought of ssh'ing to my phone and running apt-get install, sends me giddy :)

Creating python scripts to control the AGPS sound good fun too.

You can also download the complete hardware spec and CAD files too, it's that open. Beats Android hands down :)

£200 .... bargain :mrgreen:

Thirtysixway
July 13th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I'll wait until most if not all phones are touch screen, then they're nice and cheap.

VitaLiNux
July 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM
NO! I can't afford wasting money! I'd rather buy a laptop with that money...

laxmanb
July 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
No.

waspbr
July 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM
nope, if I am buying a phone I want to it to be fairly customizable (looks at this uncostumizable samsung D-900), anyway, if I were to buy a smart phone I want it to be fully customizable.

The impression I have from apple products is that whatever piece of hardware they sell will only run applications that they provide you with or approve, like a time share thing that tries to draw you in, just to bury u in more time-share advertisement...

So, yeah I am gonna give the iphone a pass, and wait for the android phone generation

seatex
July 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Way too much money to spend on a phone. I pass.

amazingtaters
July 13th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Well, if the iPhone 3G is outperforming whatever Android phones are on the market next June, then yeah, I would buy one. It's really a wait and see for me. I just couldn't say with any certainty. I think the iPhone looks nice and all, and the 3G model does address some of the weaknesses of the original, but if I can get a compeitive phone for less then I will.

Also interesting, the Garmin NuviPhone... check that mug out.

Mateo
July 13th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Already had the 1st gen model. It's definitely a great phone, no doubt. But I think Android is going to blow it away eventually. Just the fact that iPhone is locked to one vendor (even though there are ways around this, Joe Average is never going to know about this or be able to do it) and is locked up in terms of 3rd party software (to a degree). I don't think it'll be able to compete with the Android which is going to have a gazillion different pieces of web-enabled software by launch, and be available on all major carriers.

YaroMan86
July 13th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't get an iPhone. I have a Treo.

I still don't get what all the hype about the iPhone is about. There's really nothing it does that other smartphones haven't been doing over the past decade. Hack, I can even SSH from my Treo thanks to an SSH client I found.

Mateo
July 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM

I still don't get what all the hype about the iPhone is about. There's really nothing it does that other smartphones haven't been doing over the past decade. Hack, I can even SSH from my Treo thanks to an SSH client I found.

You can ssh with iPhone too. The hype about the iPhone is the GUI, of course.

YaroMan86
July 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
At the risk of sounding like a jerk: I think a GUI is a really LAME reason to sell something.

Then again... this *is* an Apple product we're talking about. Good as they are, I always get the impression Steve Jobs is less about the actual capability of the system, and more about how much eye candy it is. Don't get me wrong, I *like* eye candy, but I think its a pretty lame selling point.

Mateo
July 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM
That's cool. The general consumer cares about GUI as much as, if not more than, anything else, which is why the iPhone is popular.

YaroMan86
July 13th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Good for them. I look forward to Android myself, though... plus I hear Palm is working on a Linux version of Palm OS.

Yay!

Redrazor39
July 13th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Yes

wrtpeeps
July 13th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Most definetely.

Contrary to watch certain people think, looks ARE important. Not to mention it's amazing interface (also important), and the fact I already have a contract with 02 (the best provider in my area).

There is no reason not to.

As for this openmoko thing. It looks cheap. It does nothing to promote opensource. Anyone who buys a phone purely for its opensource / free stuff needs their head looked at. There are other things FAR more important.

Icehuck
July 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I will not be purchasing an Iphone. You can't send picture text messages which defeats the whole point of a camera phone. That and my blackberry opens more document types by default then the Iphone so it makes better sense for work.

fatality_uk
July 13th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Nah!

grossaffe
July 13th, 2008, 10:20 PM
no poll?

anyways, not me. over-priced locked down hunk of metal if you ask me.

XVII
July 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
No.

NetworkGuy
July 13th, 2008, 11:06 PM
No.

My thought exactly

brunovecchi
July 14th, 2008, 12:27 AM
No.

phrostbyte
July 14th, 2008, 01:21 AM
No. My next phone will be running Android.

barbedsaber
July 14th, 2008, 01:24 AM
no

OPEN MOKO AWAY (freerunner next time methinks.) :)

phrostbyte
July 14th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Most definetely.

Contrary to watch certain people think, looks ARE important. Not to mention it's amazing interface (also important), and the fact I already have a contract with 02 (the best provider in my area).

There is no reason not to.

As for this openmoko thing. It looks cheap. It does nothing to promote opensource. Anyone who buys a phone purely for its opensource / free stuff needs their head looked at. There are other things FAR more important.

Well one reason not to get an iPhone is the $1900 contract you have to sign to to buy one (for the "low low" cost of $199, heh).

The Openmoko is not encumbered by any contract and you aren't even required to buy a data plan. And being free and open source is great if you are like me and like to customize your own gadgets. Since OpenMoko is open, you can run anything you want on it, even Android. You'll never be able to run software like Ubuntu Mobile Edition or Android on the iPhone, only stuff Steve Jobs "approves" of.

Mateo
July 14th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Well one reason not to get an iPhone is the $1900 contract you have to sign to to buy one (for the "low low" cost of $199, heh).

The Openmoko is not encumbered by any contract and you aren't even required to buy a data plan. And being free and open source is great if you are like me and like to customize your own gadgets. Since OpenMoko is open, you can run anything you want on it, even Android. You'll never be able to run software like Ubuntu Mobile Edition or Android on the iPhone, only stuff Steve Jobs "approves" of.

You can't run Android on OpenMoko. Android and OpenMoko are both mobile operating systems. Unless you can run an Android VM on OpenMoko ;) You mean the "Freerunner", which is the name of the phone.

It's too limited by not even being EDGE capable (let alone 3G) and no UMA.

wrtpeeps
July 14th, 2008, 02:19 AM

At the end of the day, the freerunner thing will never ever rival the iphone in terms of features etc.

I see no possible use in me wanting one. It has a pathetic looking interface etc etc.

PHATSPEED7x
July 14th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I won't get a Iphone. Cost too much to use everything the phone has to offer over the two years like said before. I can see some outstanding cellphone bills already.

estyles
July 14th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Not a chance. I can't even imagine the mindset that causes one to want an iPhone. I don't at this point want any sort of integrated pda/camera/phone, but if I did, I might consider a Blackberry or do some more research on some of the other phones you guys are mentioning. Why pay extra for a dumbed-down Apple version of a PDA?

Colro
July 14th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I'm happy with my LG Env. It didn't cost $400, and it does everything I could ever want. I text a lot, so the QWERTY is helpful. I'm able to check gmail with its browser quite easily. The sound quality and signal are great for phone calls. It has support for AIM, which I enjoy, plus it has support for MSN/Yahoo for fans of those services. I never thought I'd use it, but the GPS is also great on it, although it does cost an extra $15/mo that isn't worth the cash if you don't use it often enough.

I'm sure there's tons of other phones with lots of capabilities for under $150. The iPhone is a gimmick and a waste of money -- you really do just pay for the brand.

ashvala
July 14th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Well, What have I to say! I would most certainly buy an iPhone 3G because of the cool multitouch stuff!

Mic_Droz
July 14th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I'm definately thinking about getting one - I'm in the market for a phone, an Ipod, and I love the size of the touch-screen - handy for TV shows and other things I've HandBraked (HandBroke? heh). Its going to cost me no more than any other phone i've ever had - infact, i paid more for the ericsson k750 over the life of my last contract.

These things are great for travel - asia and Europe are full of free wi-fi, and the iPhone is the best portable internet device - Can you fit a netbook in your pocket?

And when I can sync it with Linux, i'll be very happy... maybe even run linux on the *******...

kernelhaxor
July 14th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I wudn't buy the iphone because of the huge monthly costs ..
Am so waiting for an android phone!

chris4585
July 14th, 2008, 04:13 AM
nope, never, only if it was free, then i'd sale it and get something else..

K.Mandla
July 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM
No way.

wrtpeeps
July 14th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I wudn't buy the iphone because of the huge monthly costs ..
Am so waiting for an android phone!

It would cost me the same as I currently pay for my Nokia n95. Actually, you get unlimited data on an iphone contract, you only get 300mb on other ones (I'm talking about o2 here).

It is not huge monthly costs.

hellion0
July 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Even if I could afford it (and the astronomical plan), I wouldn't get it.

If I wanted to pay the Apple tax for something that badly, I'd get a MBP. If I needed a phone that badly, I'd get a throwaway prepaid cell.

AndyCooll
July 14th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Nope. There are far better products out there at a much better price.

As usual with Apple products, once you get over the hype and the gloss you realise it's essentially all glamour but not much substance for the money you pay.

... and don't get me started on the tactics and methods Apple use to lock down their products, and limit how you can use the hardware you've just bought.

:cool:

LittleLORDevil
July 14th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I just bought mine on launch and I love it. I was going to wait for Android but the iPhone was more appealing to me for a variety of reasons mainly the multitouch.

LittleLORDevil
July 14th, 2008, 04:17 PM

Sorry for double post but look at your cell phone plan. Just say you got a phone for $50 because you signed a 2 year contract. Your voice plan is $50 a month or so, you are therefore by your logic getting your phone for $1,250. This is just dumb logic.

cprofitt
February 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM
With the way Apple is locking them down and threatening legal action against people who unlock the phones so they can install apps from places other than the App Store... NO!

Apple is a tyranical little company and not worthy of my support.

icp
February 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Not me!!! I had buy the Neo FreeRunner!!!
Free Your Phone!!!

Sprut1
February 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Hell no.

handy
February 19th, 2009, 02:39 AM
My wife recently did, it replaced the O2 XdaII that she's been using for some time.

She is really happy with the iPhone, it links to her iMac directly so she is free of the kludgy conversion software that she needed to use iCal & Contacts on the winCE that the O2 uses.

The quality of photo's that the iPhone camera outputs are vastly superior to the O2, as is the ease of use. The entire iPhone package is extremely well polished, no wonder it is the leader in its field.

When the O2 XdaII was new it cost $1500- ! We didn't pay for it, a guy who's website I created & maintained gave it to me when he upgraded.

kk0sse54
February 19th, 2009, 02:43 AM
No

sports fan Matt
February 19th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Absolutely never...I had At&t as my cell service and it was downright dreadful. I kept losing calls and I honestly dont want to be THAT connected at any given time. I have a Motorola VU204 With Verizon and its simple efficient and just works...

DooX
February 19th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I would like to see iPhone first,and then maybe to buy it...Im satisfied with my Nokia,but iPhone is iPhone (never the less no one actually knows why iPhone is so special,including me). My sister was all into buying but when she heard a price, guy asked 1000 euro's she is also satisfied with Nokia :)

Joeb454
February 19th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Personally I love my iPhone. Though if I didn't have one, I'd probably have upgraded to a G1 instead :)

handy
February 19th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I would like to see iPhone first,and then maybe to buy it...Im satisfied with my Nokia,but iPhone is iPhone (never the less no one actually knows why iPhone is so special,including me). My sister was all into buying but when she heard a price, guy asked 1000 euro's she is also satisfied with Nokia :)

They are much cheaper than that in Oz?

Giant Speck
February 19th, 2009, 03:54 AM
The iPhone is a totally useless eye-candy piece of crap in my opinion.

I love my Samsung Blackjack II Wine Red. I just wish they'd hurry up and release Windows Mobile 6.1 for it.

I'm a hypocrite. My new iPhone arrives in a couple days. :oops:

Dr. C
February 19th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Absolutely never...I had At&t as my cell service and it was downright dreadful. I kept losing calls and I honestly dont want to be THAT connected at any given time. I have a Motorola VU204 With Verizon and its simple efficient and just works...

Most definitively NO!

In Canada Apple has partnered with Rogers, a company that has for over a quarter of a century specialized in providing the most horrid customer service imaginable. This ranges from "negative option billing" in Cable services to a Broadband Cable Internet that was orders of magnitude slower than a 14.4kbit dial up modem in the 1990's (This was accomplished in the Lower Mainland of BC by massively overselling their cable Internet network) to my favorite grounding a cable modem by drilling holes in a live gas line and then refusing to do anything about it in a timely manner when advised of the problem http://www.ihaterogers.ca/. The list goes on and on.

Now add to this a platform that is among the most DRM ridden and closed in the industry. Apple and the iPhone make Microsoft sound like RMS and the FSF in comparison. I mean one can distribute FLOSS even for installation on the "evil" Windows Vista, but Apple has made it impossible to create and distribute FLOSS for the iPhone.

Apple's DRM together with Rogers' customer service make for a good match to stay well away from.

gletob
February 19th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I would buy it on a few conditions.
1. CDMA Version for Verizon AT&T coverage where I live SUCKS (T-Mobile too)
2. Highly subsidised with one year contract and subsidized upgrade
3. Tethering
4. NO DATA CAP WHATSOEVER BE IT IN THE FINE PRINT OR NOT
5, It can still be jailbroken for cool apps
I'm picky:-)

jimrz
February 19th, 2009, 05:03 AM
in the immortal word of Longstreet "Never !!!"

mamamia88
February 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
if the monthly fee was affordable for me why not? gets rid of the need to carry a phone, psp, and ipod. kind of an all in one device if you ask me

blueshiftoverwatch
February 19th, 2009, 05:27 AM
A small question
Being as that I don't even own a cell phone, no. But when/if I do get one the only extra feature I'd want is a camera that takes good quality pictures.

glotz
February 19th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I'd rather have my both arms chopped off than buy anything from App£e.

Rokurosv
February 19th, 2009, 05:42 AM
No, cause I could buy a netbook with how much is worth here. I would prefer a G-1 or a Pre(WebOS looks awesome).

Maheriano
February 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM
So you're asking if I'd buy a phone with no cut/paste option on an inferior network that has to be returned if the battery dies? No thanks, I'll stick with my Curve.

Giant Speck
February 19th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I'd rather have my both arms chopped off than buy anything from App£e.

Let me go find my axe...

JECHO
February 19th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Ive had an original iphone and i now have the 3g. I HATE apple sproducts but i must say, the iphone is a great phone. the original one used to be horrible unless you jailbroke it but now that the app store is here its awesome. More than half of the apps available through the store are free anyway so i love it. I havent bought an app yet and i have 5 full screens of them!

dabomb1022
February 19th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I have an iPod touch which is about the same without the phone stuff. It's pretty cool I would buy. Just check ipodtouchfans.com

Giant Speck
February 19th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I have an iPod touch which is about the same without the phone stuff. It's pretty cool I would buy. Just check ipodtouchfans.com

You can take advantage of the iPod Touch's Wifi capability to turn the iPod Touch into a makeshift iPhone. You just need to install a VoIP program.

rakan_dr
February 19th, 2009, 11:36 AM
"Not me. Just a waste of money. I would be more interested in something based on android." 100% true.

gnomeuser
February 19th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Based on the draconian service terms I have to sign and the fact that I would be actively supporting a company that takes pleasure in making interoperability hard for no good reason - say like abusing their monopoly on the mp3 player market to force everyone to use their itunes software by putting a crypto hash around the database without any sort of reason based in technology.

I would have to give a resounding no, over my cold dead body.

amitabhishek
February 19th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Just saving a bit more money to buy my FreeRunner (Openmoko). The thought of ssh'ing to my phone and running apt-get install, sends me giddy :)

Creating python scripts to control the AGPS sound good fun too.

You can also download the complete hardware spec and CAD files too, it's that open. Beats Android hands down :)

£200 .... bargain :mrgreen:

Good concept handicapped by poor hardware & hideous pricing! IMHO wait for the next release.

I am saving for Palm Prē! That's what a phone should be!!!

CrazyArcher
February 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy one. Just not worth it. I'd better spend it on a Nokia.

ssam
February 19th, 2009, 12:55 PM
i wouldn't buy a locked box without a key, even if the local hardware store does sell hacksaws.

if my nokia 3330 ever dies i might get an openmoko.

bfc
February 19th, 2009, 01:05 PM
If it is the best phone out there that meets my needs, then yes, if not, then no.

Right now I'm happy with my Blackberry.

OffHand
February 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM
I have one and I absolutely love it. It is very easy to use and the design is great. I am not an Apple fan but the iphone is super cool.

Martje_001
February 21st, 2009, 05:10 PM
Nah, I don't even own a cellphone (the damn things always end up in washing machine). I would like to buy I G1 tough!

BGFG
February 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM
nah, i'd go buy a netbook or two.

Salpiche
February 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Nope! Had it, jailbroke it and ended up using it as a very expensive basketball during very boring times @ the office, now I have a Palm Centro and a HTC 6900 running Android (plus I am saving $50.00 a month worth the service, on two devices vs one), and waiting for the Palm Pre to come out or the next Android device.

rasmus91
February 23rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
... I'd like one, but i can't afford it. If i was offered one for a good price, i would consider it. But right now i feel more like buying a htc...

By the way, is ubuntu available for phones like htc?

Giant Speck
February 23rd, 2009, 10:13 AM
... I'd like one, but i can't afford it. If i was offered one for a good price, i would consider it. But right now i feel more like buying a htc...

By the way, is ubuntu available for phones like htc?

I don't know you or your budget, but for me, purchasing the refurbished iPhone from AT&T was the most affordable option.

If you are purchasing a refurbished 8GB iPhone 3G with a brand new plan, or you are eligible for a discounted upgrade, you can get it for $99.

However, if you are upgrading but are not yet eligible for a discounted upgrade, it will cost $199. I was not eligible for the discount, so I had to pay this price.

Now, I'm not going to try to pass of those two prices as affordable. However, considering the iPhone has much more disk space and has many, many more features than the Blackjack II I purchased last year for the same price, it was well worth the money I paid.

rasmus91
February 23rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
If you are purchasing a refurbished 8GB iPhone 3G with a brand new plan, or you are eligible for a discounted upgrade, you can get it for $99.

However, if you are upgrading but are not yet eligible for a discounted upgrade, it will cost $199. I was not eligible for the discount, so I had to pay this price.

Wish that was the case. but here where i live the only company who has it with some nice possibilities for reparation if broken is charging like 400-600$ for the 8GB Iphone... (probably like 500$)

But isn't ubuntu out for phones like Htc? Ubuntu mobile is said to be for handheld devices with touch screen which supports wireless, right?

rasmus91
February 23rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
nah, i'd go buy a netbook or two. LOL... but not far from the truth though, i think i might do that as well. I'd probably buy a HTC Diamond instead of the Iphone, not that i like the windows software, but its the price. found out its not 400-600$ Where i live, its more like 1000-1200$ for an Iphone. (sorry, i made a mistake last time i calculated on it...)

Giant Speck
February 23rd, 2009, 03:10 PM
LOL... but not far from the truth though, i think i might do that as well. I'd probably buy a HTC Diamond instead of the Iphone, not that i like the windows software, but its the price. found out its not 400-600$ Where i live, its more like 1000-1200$ for an Iphone. (sorry, i made a mistake last time i calculated on it...)

Where do you live?!?

Joeb454
February 23rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Where do you live?!?

I worked out that including the cost of the phone, plus the 18 month contract, I'll be paying around £1000 for my iPhone when all added up.

Of course that's spread over 18 months, so it's not as bad :)

Giant Speck
February 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I worked out that including the cost of the phone, plus the 18 month contract, I'll be paying around £1000 for my iPhone when all added up.

Of course that's spread over 18 months, so it's not as bad :)

Yeah, I calculated that it would cost the same amount per month with the iPhone as I was already paying for the data plan, voice plan, and texting plan I had with my Blackjack II. I love how AT&T has rollover. It's my favorite thing about my wireless company.

conundrumx
February 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
I have a 16gb 3G. My thinking is this will probably last me past the two years of my contract, and if it doesn't then higher capacity = higher resale value. I get a very nifty 22% discount on my monthly bill, so all told the phone + 2 years I'm contracted for costs ~1800 USD. It sounds like a lot of money, but the monthly costs really didn't go up that much for me.

mips
February 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
so all told the phone + 2 years I'm contracted for costs ~1800 USD. It sounds like a lot of money, but the monthly costs really didn't go up that much for me.

:shock:

And there I was looking for something cheaper than my present US$170 24 month contract.

OffHand
February 23rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
:shock:

And there I was looking for something cheaper than my present US$170 24 month contract.
Comparing Apple with Oranges (pun intented)

Orlsend
February 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
Nah, I am looking for something more Open than the iPhone. I currently have Palm Treo 650 and Yet I can do far more things than my friend that has a iPhone,I prov going to buy those new Treos (The Pro or the Centro) they are way cheaper and better. And the news is that soon Palm is going linux :D

rasmus91
February 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
Where do you live?!? Denmark (we got a Tax rate when we buy things on 25%)

-jay-
February 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
nope only apples i buy are what you put in your mouth :)

jimi_hendrix
February 23rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
i have one and love it

Anxious Nut
February 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
I won't buy it, I'll stick to my Nokia 1100
http://www.global-b2b-network.com/direct/dbimage/50190276/Nokia_1100.jpg

WatchingThePain
February 23rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Android?, wow that sounds cool but what is that!.
I would buy an iphone cos of the nice touch screen thingy. Phones need to be easy to manipulate quickly. When you get an urgent call you have to pull it out fast like a wild west gunslinger, not struggle with clunky buttons.

BGFG
February 23rd, 2009, 11:49 PM
I currently own a nokia 1208 and a Dual sim Shengbao Smartphone thingy, for which i need to purchase at least one 25$ sim. The nokia is perfect and the Shengbao looks like it'll be fun.

I would not buy most of the high end phones that exist today simply because i honestly don't need the hundreds of features that they carry. You call me, I call you. send a couple of texts, maybe take some halfway decent pics if the occasion arises.

i do not however, need a multitude of games or the ability to edit mp3's and video clips on my portable telephone unit :)

WatchingThePain
February 24th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Right, I'm not calling you!.

BGFG
February 24th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Right, I'm not calling you!.

LOL. but I'm such a great conversationalist!

Giant Speck
February 24th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Android?, wow that sounds cool but what is that!.
I would buy an iphone cos of the nice touch screen thingy. Phones need to be easy to manipulate quickly. When you get an urgent call you have to pull it out fast like a wild west gunslinger, not struggle with clunky buttons.

I was really afraid when I bought it that the touch-screen keyboard was going to be difficult to use, but it's the exact opposite. This might sound stupid, but the trick is not to be afraid to type on it. The keyboard is extremely responsive, and I love the built-in correct-as-you-type spell check.

ArtF10
February 24th, 2009, 02:37 AM
...How many of you would buy an iPhone 3G?

Not me.

amitabhishek
February 26th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Apple's margin on every iPhone is an astounding 55%! I am not going to part with my hard earned money just like that I'd rather wait for competition like Palm Prē or something like this... (http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3165362593.html)

OffHand
February 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Apple's margin on every iPhone is an astounding 55%! I am not going to part with my hard earned money just like that I'd rather wait for competition like Palm Prē or something like this... (http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3165362593.html)
What a weird reason not to buy one. I always ask myself if I think it's worth the price/costs... I couldn't care less about margins. Companies need to make money too. I get to see and use quite a lot of phones/pda's, especially HTC, but nothing comes close to the iPhone. It's way ahead of the competition.

Name change
February 27th, 2009, 08:08 PM
No I wouldn't.
I have Nokia XpressMusic 5600 and I don't use it to it's full potentials.
So buying iPhone would be waste of money. Also I really don't like apple.

OffHand
February 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM
No I wouldn't.
I have Nokia XpressMusic 5600 and I don't use it to it's full potentials.
So buying iPhone would be waste of money. Also I really don't like apple.
The question is why you do not use it's full potential.

Name change
February 27th, 2009, 08:22 PM
The question is why you do not use it's full potential.
I forget to upload music to it...
I deleted all my music from my SD card with notion that I'll put it back soon, after I'll encoded again as some of it became "un-playable".
And even if I would have whole 2gb of my SD card filled with music I still wouldn't use it that much.
As mainly I use a bike as my main mode of transportation and it's not that safe to not hear what is happening around you :D
But I do sometimes feel the need to listen the MP3 and then I course my self why haven't I put any music to my phone yet.
But both cameras are coming handy...
And there's another problem even though there were some promises by our wireless providers to sell iPhones in packages nothing happens. And there is no other option for getting it in Slovenia (this sounds like we're some really poor country LOL, but it's more that most of those that wanted iPhone went to USA or somewhere else and bought it already, others probably prefer a normal phone over it :D)

will1911a1
February 27th, 2009, 08:25 PM
No. I could've but I went with a Samsung Eternity instead.

jomiolto
February 27th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Nah. I wouldn't pay more for a phone than what my laptop is worth :p

Seriously, though, I have no use for a smart phone and even if I did need one, I would rather buy something with an actual keyboard. I also do not support Apple for personal reasons, so it is a no-no :)

Sigh, I wish I could still get an old Nokia, something like the 3210. Those were some of the best phones I've ever used and they didn't suffer from feature creep, like modern phones do. Currently I have a cheap "bare-bones" phone and even that has a VGA camera, MP3 ring tones, radio, colour display, etc. :(

HittingSmoke
February 27th, 2009, 08:58 PM
For the love of god NO!

One reason is because I'm militant anti-Apple like most people are around here about Microsoft.

Another reason would be that my HTC Touch Pro blows it out of the water in terms of functionality. I can install anything I want on my Touch Pro. I'm competent enough to use Windows Mobile and don't need Apple holding my hand and telling me what I can and can't do with my device. i.e. I think for myself.

The only thing better about the iPhone than my Touch Pro is the capacitive touch screen.

The day I start buying over priced BS that I'm told what I'm aloud to do with just because it's trendy will be a cold day in hell.

BeachBum
February 28th, 2009, 03:20 AM
For those of you who say you wouldn't...have you actually had a chance to use it in person?

It seems many of you wouldn't use it based on personal dislike for apple...to each his own. But seriously, find one and try it before you completely dismiss it. Its the kind of device that most would think they would have no use for, but given the opportunity to use it (or borrow a friends), you'll find yourself turning to the phone to do things that you previously thought were unnecessary.

Some observations:

Several colleagues have iPhones (something like 5 total), and they all love it. Its really cool to be able to come in to work and talk about the latest youtube video, and sit there and watch it on a phone (because work blocks youtube).

The 2MP camera sounds like a drawback, but the photos are much sharper than my current Sony 2MP camera phone...

The interface is very eye-candy-ish. I personally am not a fan of the glossed interface, but the interface is well done, and well thought out. For me, the iphone is the computer analog of using compiz (my preference) vs using a desktop without compiz.

The build materials feel better than any phone I've ever owned or held. Some phones feel cheap, creaky and plastic-y. Some are heavy but held together with mechanisms that loosen over time. Some are sturdy, but feel too light. Electronics that feel heavy + sturdy = impressions of quality, and apple nailed it. When you're holding an iphone, you're holding something with a nice balance of sturdyness and weight. Its the analog to slamming a car door shut on a luxury car (nice low pitched thump followed by the sound of silence) vs a budget car (more rattling and "tinny" followed by the sound of the outside world but muted).

All that said, if there weren't so many new and exciting phones and options coming down the pipeline, I'd buy one. But given the possibilities of new operating systems and the emphasis on the mobile interface that apple set, I will wait and see.

BGFG
February 28th, 2009, 04:12 AM
For those of you who say you wouldn't...have you actually had a chance to use it in person?

It seems many of you wouldn't use it based on personal dislike for apple...to each his own. But seriously, find one and try it before you completely dismiss it. Its the kind of device that most would think they would have no use for, but given the opportunity to use it (or borrow a friends), you'll find yourself turning to the phone to do things that you previously thought were unnecessary.

Some observations:

Several colleagues have iPhones (something like 5 total), and they all love it. Its really cool to be able to come in to work and talk about the latest youtube video, and sit there and watch it on a phone (because work blocks youtube).

The 2MP camera sounds like a drawback, but the photos are much sharper than my current Sony 2MP camera phone...

The interface is very eye-candy-ish. I personally am not a fan of the glossed interface, but the interface is well done, and well thought out. For me, the iphone is the computer analog of using compiz (my preference) vs using a desktop without compiz.

The build materials feel better than any phone I've ever owned or held. Some phones feel cheap, creaky and plastic-y. Some are heavy but held together with mechanisms that loosen over time. Some are sturdy, but feel too light. Electronics that feel heavy + sturdy = impressions of quality, and apple nailed it. When you're holding an iphone, you're holding something with a nice balance of sturdyness and weight. Its the analog to slamming a car door shut on a luxury car (nice low pitched thump followed by the sound of silence) vs a budget car (more rattling and "tinny" followed by the sound of the outside world but muted).

All that said, if there weren't so many new and exciting phones and options coming down the pipeline, I'd buy one. But given the possibilities of new operating systems and the emphasis on the mobile interface that apple set, I will wait and see.

To answer your first question, yeah, i have. I'm anti apple simple because absolutely none of their products offer actual value for dollar.

they offer cool looks, shiney toys, glossy dumbed down (to me) interfaces, and if that's worth quite a few hundred dollars in anyone's book then power to you and sincerely, if it truly suits you then colour me happy.

But for my computing experience, apple offers NOTHING that i cannot get for a few hundred dollars less and enjoy more quality and choice.

There is no way in heaven or hell that a merchant can take such a sizable chunk of my paycheque and then presume to dictate to me as to it's use.

i dislike their attitude towards the consumer: 'take that, because that's all we're going to give you. Don't worry, It's what you need, we said so.*&#@ you'.

Disclaimer: I've been drinking :guitar::P

dragos240
February 28th, 2009, 04:13 AM
If i had the money, i had all the tools to erase the apple partition on it, and get ubuntu on it, then yes, i would.

will1911a1
February 28th, 2009, 04:30 AM

Yep. Just wasn't that thrilled with it, especially for the price. I tend to take videos with my cell phone as well as send multimedia text messages. The iPhone (to my knowledge) can't do either of those things.

MarblePanther
February 28th, 2009, 04:43 AM
if i had the money, i had all the tools to erase the apple partition on it, and get ubuntu on it, then yes, i would.

+1

plb
February 28th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Where do you live?!?i have one but only cause I got a good deal on it $320 for an unlocked 3g plus $50 hard case free. I plan on selling it once the nokia e75 comes out which should cover most of the cost

PmDematagoda
February 28th, 2009, 04:55 AM
When I compare the Nokia 5800 to what the iPhone 3G has, I would go for the 5800, so no.

I know that there are places where the 5800 fails to match the iPhone, but the advantages of the 5800 over the iPhone seems to cover all the shortcomings of the 5800 in my opinion.

Newuser1111
February 28th, 2009, 04:56 AM
No, I already have a iPod Touch 2G.

clipse
March 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM
Yes i would and I did. I love it. I jailbroke it almost immediately. Much more functionality. I would have went for an android phone but the G1 wasn't even out when I got my iPhone. I had a Blackberry Curve and really liked it but it was falling apart on my. The UI on the iPhone is much much better. Much more intuitive.

clipse

Starlight
March 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
I have one, and I think it's great. There are some really annoying things about it, such as having to register on iTunes (fortunately, there's a way to get around having to enter your credit card info) but the interface is great, and I've never seen another phone where browsing the internet is so smooth and easy. I think my next phone won't be an Apple one, though... maybe Palm Pre or an Android phone. :)

HittingSmoke
March 2nd, 2009, 07:34 PM

Some observations:

What you just said closer describes HTC devices than the iPhone. Most HTC Pocket PC's however, do much more than the iPhone in terms of internet connectivity and multimedia as well as not locking me into an inferior service carrier. Like I said previously, the only interesting feature on the iPhone is the capacitive touch screen compared to other devices that have been around for years.

I cant wait till they start coming out with Android phones.

suitedaces
March 13th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Any UK posters care to suggest an iPhone alternative on o2?

tubezninja
March 13th, 2009, 03:16 AM
What you just said closer describes HTC devices than the iPhone.

That's contrary to MY experiences hands-on with HTC devices. They often feel unpolished, cheaply built, and buggy.

Most HTC Pocket PC's however, do much more than the iPhone in terms of internet connectivity and multimedia as well as not locking me into an inferior service carrier.

This also runs counter to my experience. I also submit that most other carriers do MORE to constrict than anything Apple does. Apple is a nice lightning rod, but what about the BREW interface that Verizon locks most of their phones to, limiting features and forcing phone models to lack differentiation? How about Blackberry, which requires the use of the Blackberry network to use its most basic functions?

Android isn't immune from this either. You MUST use Google services to "sync" contacts, calendars and e-mail. Yet, Google gets a pass for this. Why?

But, to each his own. *shrug*

23meg
March 13th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I don't want to buy into a contract attached to a particular company that will render my device unusable if objected to, and the concept of an "app store", which is perhaps the trendy analogue of "shareware" in the 90s, and I definitely don't want to reinforce the 20th century business model that I'm working hard to displace/replace, so no.

Does anyone remember "shareware"? How releveant is it still, in the age of the abundancy of free software in which we are swimming right here right now, and the so called "Web 2.0" with all its services and bells and whistles, for good or bad? Food for thought.

iAnth
March 13th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I bought one. The most expensive paper weight you could buy, and of course I'm just kidding.

m3topaz
April 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM
No, in my view.
It's a poor telephone. Handover is bad on the radio network, so you can't really use it when moving. The device doesn't support contemporary telephony features (e.g. MMS, Java). The battery life is shockingly poor (especially the 3G device). It has no file system. The battery is built in and can't be changed outside of a service centre (and you'll need to change it sooner or later). You need a charger with you most of the time. The screen is only 4:3. The device doesn't support proper streaming video. It's expensive. As a phone, forget it.
On the positive side, it has a decent browser, it finds and locks onto networks happily (esp WLAN), the user interface is not unpleasant, it is hyped to ridiculous levels so you can look good with it if that's important to you.
Want a decent phone? Sony Ericsson C905, Nokia 5800, LG Renoir, Samsung Pixon are all worth a look. I have the first three and tend to use the Nokia as a day-to-day device (it has great battery life). The C905 has a good camera, the Renoir is decent all round, I'm told the Pixon is good.
Apple have no experience making telephones, but they have a great hype machine for the iPhone (fair play to them for that). If you want a phone, stick to a maker who knows how to make them. Get a Nokia and an iPod touch if you want the iPhone experience without the hassle.

drakshug
April 30th, 2009, 11:05 PM
No, in my view.
It's a poor telephone. Handover is bad on the radio network, so you can't really use it when moving. The device doesn't support contemporary telephony features (e.g. MMS, Java). The battery life is shockingly poor (especially the 3G device). It has no file system. The battery is built in and can't be changed outside of a service centre (and you'll need to change it sooner or later). You need a charger with you most of the time. The screen is only 4:3. The device doesn't support proper streaming video. It's expensive. As a phone, forget it.
On the positive side, it has a decent browser, it finds and locks onto networks happily (esp WLAN), the user interface is not unpleasant, it is hyped to ridiculous levels so you can look good with it if that's important to you.
Want a decent phone? Sony Ericsson C905, Nokia 5800, LG Renoir, Samsung Pixon are all worth a look. I have the first three and tend to use the Nokia as a day-to-day device (it has great battery life). The C905 has a good camera, the Renoir is decent all round, I'm told the Pixon is good.
Apple have no experience making telephones, but they have a great hype machine for the iPhone (fair play to them for that). If you want a phone, stick to a maker who knows how to make them. Get a Nokia and an iPod touch if you want the iPhone experience without the hassle.

Yup, battery life is horrendous - I charge mine overnight. If I'm using it during breaks at work, I run it off usb.
However. It beats all my friends and colleagues phones hands down. The touch screen works with no lag. It is well thought out and there are 9 desktops (though the new LG cube looks great). I've never bought an app, never had to and won't as my card isn't registered with i tunes. The free apps do what I want. The phone takes very good pictures, I've skype, u tube, safari, mail, i pod etc. I don't use mms.
The case is sturdy, doesn't give and it is running a unix type system. I run it for about 60 Euro a month and it makes for a handy GPS in the car. Many who slag it haven't tried it. A lot of the people slagging i phone sound like MS users slagging linux - they've never tried it, never will and have to justify their aversion somewhere. Kinda sad to hear Linux users being like that.

Keithhed
April 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM
ok, i will not. let me tell you why. You can only get service on an Iphone through At&T, which means NO competition, therefore the user gets the crappiest deal possible. The most basic plan starts at around 75 bucks. And to add insult to injury, AT&T has the worst service around. all the other carriers have much better service and plan options. I WILL NOT PAY AN APPLE TAX FOR A CELL PHONE! Give us some competition and better values and I may consider it.

t0p
April 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Would I buy an iPhone? LOL!! Why on earth would I do that?

But the BBC's website thinks I've got one (http://po-ru.com/projects/iplayer-downloader/). Heh!

Dark Aspect
April 30th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I would get an Asus eee 901 before I got an iPhone, provided I had the money which I don't. Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't buy either one since its money I could spend elsewhere for more important things.

I hate Apple too, some people I know like Apple but the whole Mac and everything is kind of stupid. Its an overpriced version of unix that has been modified into a more user friendly interface with mediocre hardware. Its not anything amazing, in fact Mac user rate pretty low to me in terms of computer knowledge.

Its kind of like this:

Linux = Smart user
Windows = Average user
Mac = I wonder what this button does.......

Namtabmai
April 30th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Linux = Smart user
Windows = Average user
Mac = I wonder what this button does.......

That's an arrogant and flawed analogy, Stephen Fry would definitely take issue with that.

Me? I'd never buy an iPhone, but that's because it's just a phone and there are far more important things in life.

.Maleficus.
April 30th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I did buy one and it's awesome. I mean, how many other phones can Nmap WiFi and download torrents? The G1, maybe.

mediocre hardware.
You must have been using an off-brand Mac because last I checked the Nehalem Xeons and DDR3 were pretty solid.

Dark Aspect
April 30th, 2009, 11:35 PM
That's an arrogant and flawed analogy, Stephen Fry would definitely take issue with that.

Who?

And yeah its arrogant but Its meant to be funny mostly. The first part about it being an overpriced version of unix, I am not joking about.

bluelamp999
April 30th, 2009, 11:37 PM
No, I wouldn't.

I've been burned by crappy Apple hardware too often...

Admittedly, I'm only talking of iPods but it's put me off the whole Apple ethos.

james347
May 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Just a simple advice forget Apple iphone and go for Nokia 5800. Here are 5 points to compare :

1) Size
The iphone is bigger in size and uneasy for one hand grip. Nokia 5800 is designed to fit well into your hands. Being smaller in width, its easy to operate single handedly.
Iphone size: 115.5 X 62.1 X 12.3 mm
Nokia 5800 size: 111 X 51.7 X 15.5 mm
2) Weight
Iphone is much bulkier than Nokia 5800. Nokia 5800 is 25g lighter than Iphone in weight.
Iphone: 133g
Nokia 5800: 109g
3) Screen Resolution
The Iphone has 3.5” screen while Nokia 5800 has 3.2” but the resolution of 5800 is far more superior to Iphone.
Resolution:
Iphone: 480 by 320
Nokia 5800: 640 by 360
4) Storage
Iphone comes with two options- 8GB & 16GB internal memory. Nokia has a more flexible option to offer 8GB with micro SD card (http://www.lowpricememory.co.uk/micro.html) which is expandable upto 16GB. Nokia owners can expand memory size according to needs which the Iphone guys can’t do.
5) Input Methods
Iphone: Finger only.
Nokia 5800: Finger, stylus, plectrum, handwriting recognition.

jimi_hendrix
May 1st, 2009, 12:15 PM
yes, i have one and i love it.

pwnst*r
May 1st, 2009, 01:09 PM
Just a simple advice forget Apple iphone and go for Nokia 5800. Here are 5 points to compare :

1) Size
The iphone is bigger in size and uneasy for one hand grip. Nokia 5800 is designed to fit well into your hands. Being smaller in width, its easy to operate single handedly.
Iphone size: 115.5 X 62.1 X 12.3 mm
Nokia 5800 size: 111 X 51.7 X 15.5 mm
2) Weight
Iphone is much bulkier than Nokia 5800. Nokia 5800 is 25g lighter than Iphone in weight.
Iphone: 133g
Nokia 5800: 109g
3) Screen Resolution
The Iphone has 3.5” screen while Nokia 5800 has 3.2” but the resolution of 5800 is far more superior to Iphone.
Resolution:
Iphone: 480 by 320
Nokia 5800: 640 by 360
4) Storage
Iphone comes with two options- 8GB & 16GB internal memory. Nokia has a more flexible option to offer 8GB with micro SD card (http://www.lowpricememory.co.uk/micro.html) which is expandable upto 16GB. Nokia owners can expand memory size according to needs which the Iphone guys can’t do.
5) Input Methods
Iphone: Finger only.
Nokia 5800: Finger, stylus, plectrum, handwriting recognition.

lol 640x360 is NOT "far superior" when it's a smaller screen. also, i don't see you mentioning anything about apps. the 5800 doesn't hold a candle to the iphone, sorry.

ukripper
May 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
I am gonna get developer's version of Android soon with cupcake.:-)

Orlsend
May 1st, 2009, 01:48 PM
I would prefer to use the money to buy a Treo PRO from Palm. The iPhone is one of the crappiest pieces of hardware I ever seen.

Paqman
May 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM
The iPhone is a well-supported platform now, so it's tempting. They're still waaaay too expensive though. TCO over 18months for me is still around about £600-650, and i'm not a massive phone user.

zigga15
May 1st, 2009, 02:14 PM
I got an ipod touch really cheap, and can't get itunes working in linux.

This is really frustrating. iTunes is ported to windows, but not linux (also a unix-based operating system) -- wtf

suitedaces
May 1st, 2009, 02:32 PM
Not a chance. I just bought a used w890i off my flatmate for £20 and a new 32" hdtv for £300, leaving me with money to spare compared to an iphone, and definitely the better choice!

suitedaces
May 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM
I got an ipod touch really cheap, and can't get itunes working in linux.

This is really frustrating. iTunes is ported to windows, but not linux (also a unix-based operating system) -- wtf

I'm sure there are sections devoted to this on other parts of the forum, someone's bound to know how to help you.

suitedaces
May 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Who?

And yeah its arrogant but Its meant to be funny mostly. The first part about it being an overpriced version of unix, I am not joking about.

:shock:[-X

You don't know stephen fry?

For shame!

Dougie187
May 1st, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'm waiting for an android phone... Just need more carriers to pick them up.

pwnst*r
May 1st, 2009, 02:41 PM
i would prefer to use the money to buy a treo pro from palm. The iphone is one of the crappiest pieces of hardware i ever seen.

lol

SonicSteve
May 1st, 2009, 02:46 PM
A small question

While I likely have nothing new to say to this discussion I will add my vote.

NO, NO, NO, to infinity.

Apple is far too proprietary for me. I want to be able to do what I want with my products. While isn't true of all things I currently own, it's a goal I aim for. Iphone is cool and has great technology in it, there are more important things than cool though.

OrganizedFellow
May 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I was the first in my circle of friends to own the T-Mobile G1. This was back in October.
Even back then, with Andoid in beta, and now with 1.5 right around the corner, my phone did AND does more than any iPhone.

My pals always reply with, 'well my iPhone can do that too, but i have to jailbreak it'.
Android can do it out-of-the-box.

Would I buy an iPhone? Most likely not.
I like having a secondary battery to swap out, you know, just in case. Ya can't do that with iPhone.
I like the fact that if I don't like the default camera application, or the calendar app, or the home screen - I can replace them with some third party app.
Android allows apps to share data amongst apps.
Apple doesn't allow app developers to do a whole lot, they are pretty limited.

steev182
May 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I've owned my 1st gen iPhone since O2 started selling them for £169, so I think I've owned it for 13 months now, before then I had an iPod Touch which I sold to my colleague (who was very anti-apple, but now slightly less anti-apple) so here's a list of pros and cons from my experience with it.

Pros:
-Very intuitive User Interface
-Video looks awesome
-ActiveSync works really nicely
-iPod app is really good
-ssh application is brilliant
-SMS is pretty damn nice
-Hardware is very resilient, I look at these products as 'you sell it to me like this, this is how it should be used' so it sits in my pocket unprotected. Its skidded along the platform at Mile End station screen down and there are still no scratches on the screen. The back casing is scratched to hell, but I don't spend an hour and a half each day staring at the back do I.
-Safari is really good and intuitive
-Battery life is good enough for me.
-Google maps has saved me a couple of times from being lost, and Cell Triangulation used to locate me seems scarily accurate.

Cons:
-Headphone socket doesn't allow any headphones to be used.
-A2DP would be awesome as I tend to go through a pair of headphones every 2 months and the failure is usually in the cable.
-Only works with iTunes.
-Google Mail doesn't use Push.
-No copy/paste (I did use 3.0 for a while until it expired, and it made me realise how much I missed having this feature)
-No built in messaging, I would love to have IM messages come through all the time, but Android doesn't have this at the moment either.
-No Spotify app (but linux doesn't really have this either.
-Doesn't support xvid.

I'm now coming to a time where I'm trying to stop using Apple hardware, as ubuntu9.04+gnome-do is giving me a desktop experience very close to OSX. The only thing holding me back from going completely from Apple is the iPhone, but if I get to try out the HTC Magic and like it, then I will be moving to that, one thing I can say about the iPhone is that it has made a lot of manufacturers step up their game, and I still hope that MMS will die a grizzly death like it should!

Orlsend
May 4th, 2009, 05:43 PM

With you all the way! I also emulate SNES and Sega roms from my Treo!

Spiritous
May 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I'm getting a HTC magic (Android :) )

Depressed Man
May 4th, 2009, 06:47 PM
-No Spotify app (but linux doesn't really have this either.

For a spotify app you could try despotify. The people at Spotify didn't ban despotify, they just made it so you have to have a premium account to use it. Not sure how you would get it running in the iPhone (without installing Linux on it :P). But for the desktop it's just a sudo apt-get to install the dependicies.

pwnst*r
May 4th, 2009, 10:56 PM
My pals always reply with, 'well my iPhone can do that too, but i have to jailbreak it'.
Android can do it out-of-the-box.

jailbreaking takes minutes. big whoop. also, it's nice to know that most people do NOT jailbreak theirs, so you have something different than most.

i might get a Gx at some point, but the UI kinda sucks and it's not very good looking.

.Maleficus.
May 4th, 2009, 11:59 PM
With you all the way! I also emulate SNES and Sega roms from my Treo!
I do this on my iPhone, as well as PSX and GBA and have a native port of Assassin's Creed. Maybe I'll download the ScummVM and Mame apps while I'm at it...

james347
May 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Just forget the Iphone and go for Nokia 5800. Apart from being expensive than Nokia 5800, Apple iphone has lesser features with it.

Apple Iphone has lots of missing features like cut and paste function, saving email attachments, no support for third party headphones, ringtones, pricey iphone applications, many software bugs and other technical glitches. Nokia 5800 has no such issues plus many more amazing features included.

labinnsw
May 11th, 2009, 12:09 PM
when buying anything the important thing is not the features, it is not the cost (so long as I can afford it). The key is value for money. There is no way that the iPhone can be seen as value for money.

james347
May 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
when buying anything the important thing is not the features, it is not the cost (so long as I can afford it). The key is value for money. There is no way that the iPhone can be seen as value for money.

My Dear Friend,

I trully agrees with you, everyone has its own views about cell phones. Definitely Iphone and Nokia 5800 are also judged for value for money. which is an important point while buying any phone.

anyway thanx for showing your view!

.Maleficus.
May 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Just forget the Iphone and go for Nokia 5800. Apart from being expensive than Nokia 5800, Apple iphone has lesser features with it.

Apple Iphone has lots of missing features like cut and paste function, saving email attachments, no support for third party headphones, ringtones, pricey iphone applications, many software bugs and other technical glitches. Nokia 5800 has no such issues plus many more amazing features included.
1. Cut and paste? Available in June.
2. Saving attachments? I've never had to, so I don't know.
3. 3rd party headphones? I use a pair of Sonys.
4. Ringtones? I use a Baba O'Reilly ringtone that I made (in iTunes), and I did so before jailbreaking.
5. Pricey applications? There are plenty that are free.
6. Bugs? None that I've encountered.
7. Glitches? Again, none here.

Next.

Sand & Mercury
May 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM
If money was no object I'd love an iPhone.

Giant Speck
May 11th, 2009, 12:39 PM

I think that's a reference to the iPhone 2G, which cannot use non-Apple headphones without a special adapter. However, that's irrelevant considering you cannot buy an iPhone 2G from Apple or AT&T anymore.

pwnst*r
May 11th, 2009, 11:21 PM
ouch.

SLEEPER_V
May 12th, 2009, 04:22 AM
aw, *kiss*

love it, lol

My father in law has one and has converted everything to his mac. He's a cs teacher and is now convinced of mac's superiority. Its really annoying and the whole reason for that post.

Roasted
May 12th, 2009, 05:44 AM
No, I absolutely would not ever own an iPhone.

Reason 1 - I hate touchscreen. I need buttons. (personal preference).

Reason 2 - I don't need internet on a phone. I need a phone to be a phone (and then some). Apple's little deal with ATT to require data plans on the iPhone is laughable.

Reason 2 is actually the same reason I would never consider signing a contract with Verizon Wireless. Are you listening, Verizon? Because I want a certain phone, I have to take on additional monthly costs because it's your little rule? LOL. No.

amitabhishek
May 12th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Yes I would buy an iPhone

toupeiro
May 12th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Make no misunderstandings, I hate Apple's business ethics and business model surrounding iPod touches and iPhones and the iTunes umbilical cord. I hate the EULA changes which makes it a criminal offense to jailbreak a device you paid for. I hate that a $300+ device is the most expensive multi-touch paperweight ever unless you unlock it with iTunes when you pull it out of the box. I hate that Apple will remove applications coded in the community for their devices which give them any sort of competition. I really do not like apple as a company, at all!

That being said, the iPhone is probably the best and most intuitive smartphone on the market today. I am a blackberry storm user, and I wish, endlessly, my phone was half as usable as an iPhone. I don't pay for it, my work does, so its not like I'm out any money, but there is really nothing that one-ups the iPhone right now IMO.

I would not buy it though.

1) as cool as they are, I despise cell phones in general. If I didn't need one for my job, I would only have a pay as you go phone to keep in a glovebox for emergencies, turned off until I want to use it. They are digital leashes, and anyone in the world is at least seven digits away from interrupting your life when its convenient for them, nevermind that I might have worked a 15 hour day and just want to enjoy dinner with my family.

2) see the first part of the post.

Sorry if that sounds grumpy, but cell phones are VERY personal space intrusive IMO. Pagers... Now I liked those.

Orlsend
May 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
1. Cut and paste? Available in June.
2. Saving attachments? I've never had to, so I don't know.
4. Ringtones? I use a Baba O'Reilly ringtone that I made (in iTunes), and I did so before jailbreaking.
5. Pricey applications? There are plenty that are free.
6. Bugs? None that I've encountered.
7. Glitches? Again, none here.

Next.

Can it take videos?

pwnst*r
May 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Can it take videos?

jailbroken, yes.

IlanaSense
May 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
For those of you who do own iPhones, my brother posted this thread for me (im not an ubuntu user yet but considering conversion ;)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1155828

If any of you are interested, just let me know