PDA

View Full Version : skype 2.0 for linux now supports webcam

jaikat
July 13th, 2008, 10:41 AM
hello people

i just found out about this yesterday.. the new skype for linux now supports webcam.

i downloaded the ubuntu package from their site, installed, and made a conference call (voice and webcam) with a friend for about an hour. no problems at all..

just wanted to share this with you all...

MJ

TenPlus1
July 13th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Skype for Linux has supported webcam for quite some time now, even before the brand-new release... Great prog though, much better than Ekiga

Arwen
July 13th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Thanx for letting us know,I don't like Ekiga at all..

jaikat
July 13th, 2008, 11:37 AM
i checked and you're right...

the funny thing is that i bumped into it only yesterday on skype.com . i wanted to download skype knowing that it only supports voice under linux, and i was surprised..

whats even more funny is that i'v been doing the usual search by linuxers for a voice and video chat client for linux over the past month, i didn't find a thread on ubuntuforums announcing this wonderful piece of news... or maybe i didn't look hard enough..

anyway, THIS IS great news for us linux users.. and although i'v been using linux for maybe over 2 years now, having completely abandoned windows, i feel at this moment that we really need to stress the fact and say it outloud.. again and again....THE HELL WITH WINDOWS..

MJ

VMC
July 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I', new to using Skype. Just installed it a week ago. My girfriend lives in Japan. To my surprise Skype worked great. Better than those expensive phone cards. Much clearer. And free. I though I had to pay. That's only calling her phone. Even that is much cheaper than phone card.

We are at a point of installing a web cam. She is using Windows XP. I'm using ubuntu. Any suggestions on the ubuntu side. I guess Logitec is logical assumption.

I see a lot of both headsets and web cam packaged together with Skype logo.

jaikat
July 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
to VMC

i think it would be better if you put a little effort into your webcam deal..

what i would do is:
first i would go out and see what kind of webcams are available at shops nearby..

then i would write down the brand and model of those which i'd like to buy..

i would come back to the internet looking for compatibility lists.. and pick one of the webcams that are listed as being supported...

i know..this might be too much for some people, but it beats buying some piece of hardware that would turn out not being supported...

good luck

ps: you could also check the internet first before going shopping, this way you'll have an idea as to which brands are generally compatible with linux. (do a google search for "linux compatible webcams").

MJ

CarpKing
July 14th, 2008, 05:07 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams?highlight=%28webcam%29