PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] We need some help naming an applet...

isaacj87
July 13th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Hello fellow Ubuntians,

For those who use Avant-Window-Navigator (AWN), some of you may remember an applet that allowed users to quickly and easily switch workspaces. It was called BlingSwitcher. I liked this applet because it was cool eye-candy and functional. Unfortunately, it was removed from Awn-Extras due to copyright/license issues and more importantly, it seems the original author has abandoned the applet. :(

Luckily, a kind user, sharkbait, has done a complete re-write of the applet and has fixed a lot of the problems that plagued the original. Plus, added some cool new features!

Only one problem, we can't seem to come up with a cool name for the applet! For now, it is only known as Sin-nombre (or "No Name"). I was hoping that you guys could help us out. The best I've got so far is Slickswitch(er). Yeah, I know...

So throw out some names! I know you guys can come up with some good ones.

Some features of the applet (to help get a better understanding):

-Quick switching with mouse scroll wheel
-It can detach and be placed anywhere on the desktop
-You can middle-click to show the desktop
-It will show you what windows are opened on any workspace

Below are some screenies of the applet to help (I chose a background so that people could see it better).

Yuki_Nagato
July 13th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I started thinking of the compound eyes on insects. So I throw "CompoundEye" into the ring.

AnLGP
July 13th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Whatever you decide to name it I would suggest that you keep it close to what it does. Or add an i in front of it. Like iCompoundEye. Recent trends have shown that adding a lower case "i" in front of a product almost surely guarantees sucess.

Seriously, though? Keep it simple and directed towards what the app actually does. :)

hansdown
July 13th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hello fellow Ubuntians,

For those who use Avant-Window-Navigator (AWN), some of you may remember an applet that allowed users to quickly and easily switch workspaces. It was called BlingSwitcher. I liked this applet because it was cool eye-candy and functional. Unfortunately, it was removed from Awn-Extras due to copyright/license issues and more importantly, it seems the original author has abandoned the applet. :(

Luckily, a kind user, sharkbait, has done a complete re-write of the applet and has fixed a lot of the problems that plagued the original. Plus, added some cool new features!

Only one problem, we can't seem to come up with a cool name for the applet! For now, it is only known as Sin-nombre (or "No Name"). I was hoping that you guys could help us out. The best I've got so far is Slickswitch(er). Yeah, I know...

So throw out some names! I know you guys can come up with some good ones.

Some features of the applet (to help get a better understanding):

-Quick switching with mouse scroll wheel
-It can detach and be placed anywhere on the desktop
-You can middle-click to show the desktop
-It will show you what windows are opened on any workspace

Below are some screenies of the applet to help (I chose a background so that people could see it better).

Slickswitch sounds cool!

madjr
July 13th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Wow what theme??

and +1 to slickswitch(er)

isaacj87
July 13th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Wow what theme??

and +1 to slickswitch(er)

I'm using the Apotheosis theme. :)

More than likely it's going to be slickswitch(er).

Samhain13
July 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Another +1 for slickswitcher. Nothing wrong with it. :D

Yuki_Nagato
July 15th, 2008, 02:06 AM
SlickSwitch(er) flows phonetically much smoother. I stand behind it.

Jim!
July 15th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I started thinking of the compound eyes on insects. So I throw "CompoundEye" into the ring.

CompEye!

Erdaron
July 15th, 2008, 03:33 AM
How about "Switchatron!"?

DeadSuperHero
July 15th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Polaroid Switch.

dizee
July 15th, 2008, 04:10 AM
how about Big Blingy Switcher Thingy? :p

Redrazor39
July 15th, 2008, 04:31 AM
I like screenie :)

slickswitcher doesn't roll off the tongue so smoothly. the ckswi sound makes it a little awkward

screenie is cute, simple, and makes sense. Fun to say, too.

madjr
July 15th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I like screenie :)

slickswitcher doesn't roll off the tongue so smoothly. the ckswi sound makes it a little awkward

screenie is cute, simple, and makes sense. Fun to say, too.

slicreenie ! :lolflag:

Fingers & Thumbs
July 15th, 2008, 08:32 AM
As I was viewing your screenshots, David Bowie came on the radio and I immediately thought "ScreenGenie"

I really like your wallpaper btw.