PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to get Ubuntu to install where I want it too.

Arukas
July 13th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I have 200 gigs of unparition space on a hard drive and Ubuntu does not want to install there. How can I make Ubuntu install there with a guided approach? I do not know how to manually install what I want it too.

confused57
July 13th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I have 200 gigs of unparition space on a hard drive and Ubuntu does not want to install there. How can I make Ubuntu install there with a guided approach? I do not know how to manually install what I want it too.
You can use an installed Ubuntu or the live cd, open a terminal and post the output of:

sudo fdisk -l
-l is a lowercase "L"

Here's an excellent guide for partitioning basics:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282018

Arukas
July 13th, 2008, 08:15 AM
That does work. Ubuntu wants to still install on my second drive. Its doesn't want to install where I want it too. And fdisking it doesn't help.

confused57
July 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM
That does work. Ubuntu wants to still install on my second drive. Its doesn't want to install where I want it too. And fdisking it doesn't help.
Did the output of the command I gave you earlier show the unpartitioned space? If it does, you may be able to install Ubuntu using the manual partitioning option, which is relatively easy.

nline
July 13th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I can't get it to recognize my EIDE WD120 Gb drive. It recognizes the two 320Gb SATA drives and install there, but still does not recognize the EIDE drive.