PDA

View Full Version : GIMPShop?

akurashy
November 3rd, 2005, 07:07 PM
I dunno if you guys have hear of this, I just heared of it yesterday, I tried looking on the repo to see if i can check it out and test it but didn't find it. Have anyone every used GIMPShop here? Is it better than GIMP?, I coudln't find any screenshots. But i be happy to hear what the people that have used it have to say :D

Link for those who are interested is in here (http://www.gimpshop.net/)

Malphas
November 3rd, 2005, 07:09 PM
It's just GIMP but the menu structure is arranged to be more intuitive to Photoshop users. That's it.

Here's the "official" site: http://plasticbugs.com/index.php?p=241

BWF89
November 3rd, 2005, 07:38 PM
I think the GIMP development team should work on making GIMPs GUI a clone of Photoshop.

Ride Jib
November 3rd, 2005, 08:33 PM
I think the GIMP development team should work on making GIMPs GUI a clone of Photoshop.

I think that is pointless.

GIMP is it's own program. While it serves the same purpose as Photoshop, it is different. That's like saying that every photoalbum software out there should clone there GUI to that of Adobe PS Album.

Malphas
November 3rd, 2005, 08:45 PM
I agree with BWF89, Photoshop is pretty much the de facto standard when it comes to image manipulation software, and I can't see any disadvantage from making the GIMP interface more similar to Photoshop's (as GIMPshop has done).

Kvark
November 3rd, 2005, 08:57 PM
Oh no, not the Photoshop interface! It feels complicated even after taking a full Photoshop course in high school. Gimp isn't perfect but it's at least a little bit easier. ...Hmm, maybe one "proffesional mode" that is a Photoshop clone and one "easy mode" that is easy to use would be good.

Sheinar
November 3rd, 2005, 09:08 PM
I tried it a while ago. Had it installed for a few minutes, then uninstalled it. It's pointless. A few name and menu changes is about all it is. I think calling it "GIMPShop" just gives people expectations that it'll actually be similar to Photoshop, which it isn't.

aysiu
November 3rd, 2005, 09:27 PM
I had the same experience. The name gave me the impression it was GIMP but with a Photoshop look and feel. The Photoshop "look and feel" is just a few labels changed around and menus reorganized. It still looks like GIMP--but I actually had to downgrade my GIMP version to install GIMPShop.

Within minutes, I uninstalled it and reinstalled the regular GIMP.

Lab
November 3rd, 2005, 09:37 PM

Not really what open source software is supposed to be about, but with programs like Photoshop/Winamp etc, I say why not?

Sometimes programs have really good UIs that are really intuitive and if they can be cloned freely, go ahead. \\:D/

xequence
November 3rd, 2005, 09:49 PM

And while theyre at it, the gnome devolopers should work on making the gnome GUI a clone of windows. And KDE too.

akurashy
November 3rd, 2005, 09:53 PM
And while theyre at it, the gnome devolopers should work on making the gnome GUI a clone of windows. And KDE too.

now thats a terrible suggestion :razz:

Well GIMP seems kinda complicated to me, since the menus are kinda lossy, I would happy to request they at least order the interface look. kinda messy if you ask me. hard to find options. i still don't even know how to even do a gradient in it :| but im hoping to learn it, if i learn it completely i don't need photoshop then :D

Malphas
November 3rd, 2005, 10:55 PM
Not really what open source software is supposed to be about
Because the Linux kernel or GNU project weren't attempting to emulate anything at all, were they?

Don't act like a zealot. Besides, it's true to some extent that Gnome's interface is inspired by Mac OS, whilst KDE has similarities with Windows.

xequence
November 3rd, 2005, 11:46 PM
Don't act like a zealot. Besides, it's true to some extent that Gnome's interface is inspired by Mac OS, whilst KDE has similarities with Windows.

I dont even know what zealot means :P Really, if there is a mod or whatever you call it out there to gimp look like something else, why change the original program?

And DONT even start with "gnome is like windows, no its not, yes it is, no kde is, no kde is like OSX, no youre stupid it is like windows". It goes on forever.