PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] erratic ubuntu

kinglee
July 13th, 2008, 12:04 AM
gonna go back to vista at this rate!
am getting annoyed at ubuntu having two desktops, i really really only need one! where i am using a touch pad on a laptop, i'll move the mouse pointer slightly and im on the second desktop, which is now really doing my head in. also when i move the mouse pointer , the web page i am browsing will scroll up n down, controlled by the mouse pointer. i love linux and its simplicity but am getting to end of my tether with these two quirks. pls help me someone!!

jpeddicord
July 13th, 2008, 01:51 AM
To turn off multiple desktops, right-click on the two boxes on the bottom-right of your screen (see attachment, mine has 3), then go to Preferences. Set Number of Workspaces to 1, close the window, and you now only have one workspace.

SmokinJuan
July 13th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Jacob is right about the desktops (though its not "workspaces" on my machine, but rather columns).

As for the scrolling, most laptops I've used (all Microsoft) have a synaptics touchpad whose driver allows you to set a region on the right side and bottom of the pad to do "virtual scrolling" in applications. Look for something in your System/Preferences or System/Administration menu for your touchpad to see if theres a scrolling setting.

coffeecat
July 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM
SmokinJuan is right. You've strayed into the vertical scrolling area of the touchpad. This is not a Linux issue. Exactly the same happens in Windows. Go to System > Preferences > Mouse > Touchpad and untick Enable vertical scrolling.

Personally, I prefer scrolling on. I've just learnt to be careful where I put my fingers.

Seems like a good lesson for life in general. :p