PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] computertemp applet question

pofigster
July 12th, 2008, 11:47 PM
So, I recently installed a new heatsink and a GPU with a Zalmann fan and I have become curious as to how cool my computer is (it's really quiet so I wanted to make sure it was staying cool).

I installed the computertemp applet for the Gnome panel and the lm-sensors package to make it work. But now I'm confused - it displays hwmon0(*) where * is a number between 1 and 4. I have no idea though which of these is a CPU temp, which is GPU and which is motherboard.

Additionally, the temperatures being reported are 20+ degrees (F) cooler than the room the computer is in - is that just a motherboard issue? The computer is air cooled so it cannot be that much cooler than the room it is in.

jim_p
July 13th, 2008, 08:35 AM
If you run "sensors", you will be shown 4 different temperature displays.
#1 is most likely your motherboard's
#2 is your cpu's, although it may be a bit wrong

Mine says
temp1: +49.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = transistor
temp2: +28.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermal diode
temp3: -2.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = transistor
cpu0_vid: +0.000 V

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +34.0°C (crit = +85.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0001
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 1: +34.0°C (crit = +85.0°C)
The display shown next to temp2 is wrong, and the correct ones are the ones under coretemp-isa-000x. I dont know why, I suppose it is a different sensor measuring the same thing wrongly or a bug. If your applet can read from the coretemp module, make it display that temp.

Master Chief
July 13th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Ever checked your hard disk temperature? If not do a df to get the device path (mine is /dev/sda1/) and enter:

sudo hddtemp /dev/yourdevice

Why? Because your hard disk might be adding too much heat, and coolers are cheap, and will eventually save you from running into trouble ;)