PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Comcast?

projectxcappe
July 12th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Hi, 2nd day on Ubuntu Linux and am trying to set up a connection through my Comcast account. I use a Windows comp too. Can anyone give me a step by step instruction? Pretend I'm 2 years old lol.

Thanks!

Neo0351
July 12th, 2008, 10:49 PM
i use comcast, just had it set up again today as i just moved and everything works great. i had to call comcast to get my modem set up cause i own my own. and then set up the connection with windows. once its running in windows, it should just work in linux, no setup required in terms of comcast. you may need to setup ur network card though. have u tried using the internet with ubuntu yet?

oldsoundguy
July 12th, 2008, 10:55 PM
project. First, get a router and start with that.

the chain:
Ubuntu computer + Windows computer
plug both into router
plug router into modem
plug modem into cable.

But, since the set up software for most routers is written for WINDOWS, best to hook the Windows machine up first and install the router. Then simply plug the Ubuntu machine in and it will be on line.

You can NOT have each on it's own modem without paying Comcast EXTRA. It has to be a router or an old fashioned "head end" set up that very few use now days.

I have a Windows box and an Ubuntu box hard wired into a router/wireless router in my main media room. I have another Windows box and an Ubuntu box in my guest room for my traveling friends .. both of them are wireless. And I have an Ubuntu box in the Atrium for those occasions when I want all of that sunshine. That one is wireless also.
I am on Comcast.

projectxcappe
July 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Like literally plug it into the router? My windows machine is fine with internet and my linux works fine at work.

arpanaut
July 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Wired or Wireless?

Through router or direct connect to modem?

I have Comcast.
I connect through a router...
wired = ubuntu automatically picks up connection
Wireless = I have to configure ubuntu to connect.

projectxcappe
July 12th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Ok. Wireless. I set up a new wireless connection from the network settings. Currently, "wireless network connection to <network name> (57%)".... no page loads. I think I need to point the 192.168.0.1 somewhere but where do I put it?

anewguy
July 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
If you are using any kind of the security functions on your wireless side, you may want to turn them off temporarily to see if it works then. If so, things like WPA (and wpa supplicant on Ubuntu), WEP or even adding the IP address to those allowed in the router. Remember that with security such as WPA or WEP, you must specify the correct type, including number of bits, when you try to connect.

Don't know if that will help you or not. :)

oldsoundguy
July 13th, 2008, 12:06 AM
project .. you have missed the point entirely.

If you have NO router but your Windows machine hooks directly into your cable modem .. you NEED TO GET A ROUTER (the easiest way) in order to get both machines on line without unplugging one and plugging the other in.

And that makes absolutely NO difference if you go wireless with one of the computers as you STILL have to have a router if the only machine you have now is hooked to the modem by itself. The Comcast modem does not have TWO inputs for computers and it will not work for a wireless.

Two or more computers on line in the same location using the same internet connection require that you have a router UNLESS you want to go through the hassle of plugging one computer into the other and ATTEMPTING to set the first one up as a head end machine. That takes a lot more effort than buying a router and plugging it in and setting IT up!