PDA

View Full Version : linux programming

clinux
July 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hello all,

Since programming is my main hobby i'd like to know your opinion on which programming language is the best for free time programming.
I'm not searching for system programming (i'll stick to assembly for that) but i prefer a lighter, easier to learn-use and powerful enough programming language. I know python but it has been some time since i stopped using it because its syntax is quite peculiar and creating a Gui is slow,inefficient and difficult. Also i prefer programming language (machine code) over scripting (bytecode).

thanks

ps: eh linux compatible of course :).

perlluver
July 12th, 2008, 10:33 PM
C++ or PHP, but that is mainly for websites I believe. Java, I am sure Laroza will give you an answer when he/she/borg is online.

wrtpeeps
July 12th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hello all,

Since programming is my main hobby i'd like to know your opinion on which programming language is the best for free time programming.
I'm not searching for system programming (i'll stick to assembly for that) but i prefer a lighter, easier to learn-use and powerful enough programming language. I know python but it has been some time since i stopped using it because its syntax is quite peculiar and creating a Gui is slow,inefficient and difficult. Also i prefer programming language (machine code) over scripting (bytecode).

thanks

hmmmm :)

clinux
July 12th, 2008, 11:03 PM
C++ or PHP, but that is mainly for websites I believe. Java, I am sure Laroza will give you an answer when he/she/borg is online.

C++ is a good choice but it will take a lot of time to learn which i cannot afford. Php is for mostly used for websites.
Java seems a good choice and it's platform indepentent.

Python from one side is fairly easy,powerful and widely used but when i think of it's poor documentation and intendation technic i want to vomit :D. (also it's case sensitive :-&)

LaRoza
July 12th, 2008, 11:07 PM
C++ is evil. Only learn it if you have to.

See my site and wiki for learning and see the sticky in the programming talk.

Cherry Cotton
July 12th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I know that my brother really likes Haskell for compiled stuff.

samjh
July 12th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Hello all,

thanks

Your mentioned Python, and that would have been my first choice. It's easy and creating a GUI is quite simple using Glade and PyGtk. Even Tkinter can make GUI quickly. :KS

Java is treated a bit like a step-child in the Linux community. But if you want good balance between speed, ease-of-use, and multi-platform execution, go for it!

If you want compiled languages only, then go for C. Lots of support for C in the Linux community. :) C++ is another popular one, although I personally don't like it.

clinux
July 12th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the replies, i think i'll go ahead with Java.

LaRoza
July 13th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the replies, i think i'll go ahead with Java.

That is even slower to code than Python, and isn't machine code...

Wonder why you chose it?

clinux
July 13th, 2008, 01:28 AM
That is even slower to code than Python, and isn't machine code...

Wonder why you chose it?

I won't necessarily continue with java, i'm just going to give it a try. I know it's not machine code which makes java slower but bytecode means portability anyway.

red_Marvin
July 13th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Well python is portable too afaik.

grossaffe
July 13th, 2008, 01:41 AM
java's a good choice right now. that's what they're teaching in computer science classes. well, now they're teaching python as lower-level comp-sci, but java is still the upper-level class.

ad_267
July 13th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Hello all,

thanks

I say go with Python, you'll get used to the syntax and creating a gui is fast and simple using pygtk and glade.

Mr. Picklesworth
July 13th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Call me crazy, but I kind of like C of late. It's very light, and quite simple at heart yet remarkably flexible. Particularly handy with GNOME stuff.
Vala seems interesting, too, and should be supported in MonoDevelop quite soon :)

LaRoza
July 13th, 2008, 03:16 AM
java's a good choice right now. that's what they're teaching in computer science classes. well, now they're teaching python as lower-level comp-sci, but java is still the upper-level class.

MIT uses Python as its first language.

Many schools use Java because of the corporate pushing, not because of the language itself.