PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] need permission at root/usr to load software ????

Bartee
July 12th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I am trying to install ruby gems.

I have ruby installed from the package manager. ( Now that's easy !!!)

But I need to load gems. I downloaded the latest gems and trying to execute setup.rb.

I am getting this in the terminal command:

bartee@bartee-linux:~/MyDownloads/RubyGems120/rubygems-1.2.0$ ruby setup.rb
mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8
mkdir -p /usr/bin
mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rbconfig
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243:in `mkdir': Permission denied - /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rbconfig (Errno::EACCES)

I tried to log in as root and give full permissions to root/usr but that did not work.

This is just a lack of understanding on my part so any info would be appreciated.

hyper_ch
July 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
use "sudo" instead of login in as root.

Methuselah
July 12th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Yup, as hyper_ch said:

sudo ruby setup.rb

Bartee
July 12th, 2008, 10:44 PM
COOL !!!!

I get it !!!

I just had to screw my head 180 degrees and look at it from the other direction.

Thanks....

WRDN
July 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM
You can also use the "su" command. For completeness and for the unaware, "sudo" means 'super user do' while "su" only means 'super user'.
The difference is that, sudo is generally used to run a single command with root privileges, while if "su" is entered, you are given root privileges until you close the Terminal window, or type "exit". Consequently, if there is a series of commands, each needing root privileges, "su" may be a better option, although some would argue "sudo" is safer because, you lose the root privileges after the command has finished. In comparison, if you use "su" and forget to lose the root privileges, it could be easy to damage your system.

hyper_ch
July 13th, 2008, 07:51 AM
wrdn: you can't as su is deactivated by default on ubuntu.