PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ran Update Mgr restarted to black screen - 1st time user

grandroyal
July 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Im a new user making the switch from windows, so please pardon my ignorance.

1. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 as a dual boot. No Problem.
2. I then ran the update manager and installed all updates.
3. After a reset, I had a permanently black screen, nothing else. Apparently a video card problem (igm x3100).
4. To correct this I restarted and selected my previous kernel.
5. I then went to Synaptic mgr and uninstalled the linux image -generic that was causing the problem. It wouldnt let me unistall the -386.
6. After restarting the black screen was gone. Now there is a 1/2 second black screen after login.
7. My questions are:
A. Was this the correct thing to do?
B. Should I just reinstall Ubuntu to start off on the right foot?
C. Should I be concerned about the 1/2 second black screen?

Thanks

pizzipie
July 12th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Hi,

I have a similar problem. I have installed Hardy8.04.1 twice now.

Problem is:

When using 'system preferences -> appearance preferences -> details ' I get a totally blank black window with title "Font Rendering Details"

When using 'system preferences -> select sound file ' I get a totally blank black window.

I tried to go to a Terminal window and got a totally blank black screen.

Then I tried to access Firefox to post the problem and it too produced a totally blank black screen, then froze up. I am using a Dell Latitude D800 computer with Nvidea. right after he install I opted to use the proprietary driver per Ubuntu drop down menu.

I had to remove and replace the battery to get out of this mess.

Would appreciate any advice to solve this problem.

RP

pizzipie
July 13th, 2008, 06:25 PM
PARTIALLY SOLVED http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

I got poking around in the Forum that talks about 'System-> Preferences -> Appearances'
and found posts relating to 'Compiz'. I disabled 'Compiz' and now I don't have the problem anymore. This is not a real solution as part of Ubuntu doesn't seem to work. I'll just wait until the updates catch the problem with 'Compiz'.

grandroyal
July 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM
So far I have unistalled and reinstalled Ubuntu, very easy with the Wubi. I am slowly adding updates, instead of doing all updates with the update manager.

I also will wait for the appropriate upgrade for my Dell with the IGM x3100.