PDA

View Full Version : My Computer Monitor Died...

sports fan Matt
July 12th, 2008, 03:53 PM
After i'd say 11 years or so. I got it from a friend about 4 years ago and he thinks he had it for a number of years before that. What I cant understand is why it would now, but not in the last 2 days when we had very heavy rain and alot of thunder and lightning cause it to surge then, not two days later...Any ideas?

TenPlus1
July 12th, 2008, 04:02 PM
CRT Monitors do indeed have a short life-span and can go at any time when it passes that 3 year mark... Maybe the storm you mentioned did surge through the monitor and it took a few extra days for the damage to manifest itself... who knows... But, considering LCD monitors are very cheap indeed now, it's time to move on... :)

www.eclipsecomputers.com

Chame_Wizard
July 12th, 2008, 04:07 PM
have a Compaq V75,that also don't work anymore(with a GForce 7600 GS):(

fatality_uk
July 12th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Unless you are prepared to open it up and check voltages across the boards, it's unlikely you will be able to guage what the error was. If it was 11 years old, I would also suspect that even if a small board or chip has died, you wont be able to find a replacement for it.

I actually had a 22" IIyama CRT for about 14 years. It was amazing monitor. I paid about £850 for it, and that was a lot of money, but if you break that down per annum, a decent price.

fiddledd
July 12th, 2008, 04:29 PM
After i'd say 11 years or so. I got it from a friend about 4 years ago and he thinks he had it for a number of years before that. What I cant understand is why it would now, but not in the last 2 days when we had very heavy rain and alot of thunder and lightning cause it to surge then, not two days later...Any ideas?

I think like most things in life it was just a coincidence. Now you just have to deal with your loss and move on :)

NovaAesa
July 12th, 2008, 04:33 PM
At least you got good life out of it.

sports fan Matt
July 12th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I paid about £850 for it..What is that in US Dollar amount?

Lord Xeb
July 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
A little over 900-1000 USD

sports fan Matt
July 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM
ouch...:lolflag:

oldsoundguy
July 12th, 2008, 06:17 PM
OMG!!!!! I just paid less than 1/2 that price for a rotate enabled 24" wide screen cinema display LCD!! (with a 1000:1 contrast ratio!) And that includes a 3 year warranty!

dizee
July 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
yeah, the thing is old, it was going to die eventually. probably nothing to do with the thunder etc.

benny bronx
July 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Now you just have to deal with your loss and move on

Just remember that it is in a better place, and do not try to flush it down the toilet.

sports fan Matt
July 12th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Actually I call the city of Chicago and they advise me on what to do with it or they pick it up.

mips
July 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I paid about £850 for it..What is that in US Dollar amount?

A little over 900-1000 USD

Thats wishfull thinking on your part, more like US$1690.00

kevin11951
July 12th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Thats wishfull thinking on your part, more like US$1690.00

according to my desktop converter it is exactly: 1,352.34 USD

mips
July 13th, 2008, 11:40 AM
according to my desktop converter it is exactly: 1,352.34 USD

Sigh. Your desktop converter is broken. Anyone that follows the news on a not so regular basis would know that the ratio for GBP to USD is almost 2:1 so there is no way in hell that your information is correct.

But no need to believe me, try these:
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/currency/default.stm
http://money.cnn.com/data/currencies/converter/index.html
http://www.xe.com/

All their data corrosponds but not with yours ;) On the up side, if you can buy some GBP at that rate I would advise you to sell everything you own, throw in your life savings & borrow as much as possible and buy as much GBP as you can as you will be making a small fortune in USD when you sell it to someone at the current market rates. Actually I would like to be in on this deal of the centuary :)

EDIT:
I just came to the conclusions you don't know your GBP(£) from your Euro(€). England might be part of the EU but they did not adopt the Euro as a currency.