PDA

View Full Version : Hi, introduction and see if I can really post

TheropodWatcher
July 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Hi, just a quick post to say "Hi" (which I just did) and see if I can post as a new user. I'm a refugee from Linspire given the future doesn't look so good over there right now. Got just about everything running on ubuntu so far though haven't tried to load Bibble (photo editor /work flow tool). That comes later today methinks. So far, so good.

freebeer
July 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Nope.. sorry.. we didn't see your post. Try again. :D

hansdown
July 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Welcome to the forums theropodwatcher. Don't worry, freebeer's a kidder. If You need any help, just post here with a descriptive post and the good people on these forums really do a great job of helping.

TheropodWatcher
July 13th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Heh. Thanks for the greetings. All working ok so far (well, except there isn't an official Cinepaint version for ubuntu yet but that's not ubuntu's fault and the old home network isn't showing me the ******* machine downstairs - something to poke around with). I don't post much but will be prowling the forums. They look pretty good from a quick look over. Good computing to all!

LaRoza
July 13th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Heh. Thanks for the greetings. All working ok so far (well, except there isn't an official Cinepaint version for ubuntu yet but that's not ubuntu's fault and the old home network isn't showing me the ******* machine downstairs - something to poke around with). I don't post much but will be prowling the forums. They look pretty good from a quick look over. Good computing to all!
Get the .tar.gz and follow its instructions: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=75029

The forums have a lot of info, which makes posting not needed, but you can use the Cafe and OPP (and other such forums) for posting :-)

EDIT: Cinepaint has a lot of depencies that I can find immediately, it will take some work, sorry.

cdtech
July 13th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Welcome aboard TheropodWatcher and good luck with your Ubuntu endeavor's.

Dr Small
July 13th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Ahoy Matey! Welcome to Ubuntu :)

TheropodWatcher
July 13th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Re. Cinepaint - there is a "Debianed" version at the Cinepaint site. It's just not one of the official, supported versions. I may give it a try. It's very thoughtful to look into the dependencies, but given the unofficial version, someone has probably already done that so might be duplicate effort. Thanks for the thought - much appreciated.

Gripp
July 13th, 2008, 04:49 AM
welcome. i'm not sure, what;s the diff between cinepaint and gimp?

TheropodWatcher
July 13th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Gimp restricts you to 8 bits of color per channel (red, green, blue typically). That's great for websites. For really good prints that match film / photo paper, you need 16 or even 32 bits per channel. Cine paint can handle that. So can Bibble, which I do use, but Bibble sometimes seems to be less subtle in its changes. I'm not a pro, so the difference is probably my own lack of skill. In any event, I'm sure Bibble will do the job for me and since I own it I should learn it better. :-) So far I've only done printing in the 8 bits per channel anyway, but I've maintained my photos so I can use the greater color depth if I wish to so want an editor that can manage those depths.

Incidentally, the Gimp and Cinepaint folks don't seem to like each other much. Cinepaint looks to be an unauthorized fork from Gimp.

Sealbhach
July 13th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Welcome to ya! The forums here are great, I'm amazed at the time and effort people put into helping each other.