PDA

View Full Version : Is there really a departure of Bill Gates? No really?

honeybear
July 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Is there really a departure of Bill Gates from Microsoft? No really? But why actually?

bonzodog
July 12th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Yes, Bill Gates has retired from Microsoft as its Chief Software Architect, and he is now going to be working full time with the Gates Foundation, his charity that helps with third world aid from his personal fortune.
However, he is going to retain his position as Microsofts Chairman on the Board of Directors, which is a part time job.

Ray Ozzie, a long time Open Source advocate, has taken over Bills former position, and a lot of people believe that the company is going to stumble and fail under Steve Ballmer alone.

Lord Xeb
July 12th, 2008, 06:26 PM
>_> That would be nice, then linux can steal from them and make it so windows games run on linux :D

YaroMan86
July 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Bill Gates gone. Yay. Ray Ozzie is really pro open source?

Sorry for seeming cynical or negative, but every time I think of senior management at MS being an open source advocate, I think of "lip service" and "embrace, extend, extinguish."

When I heard MS approached the Blender team, alarm bells sounded off. I knew MS wasn't looking after the projects true best interests. Especialy if they were going to insist on the likes of .net and cause a loss of a great project running on Linux. Seems the Blender devs were smart enough not to listen.

I am hoping that the company goes to heck with just Steve Ballmer running it. (Actually, some subtle signs of the company already starting to buckle have been going on since Ballmer started.)