PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No window handles

Kraut-striver
July 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Hi folks,
I dont get any handles to my windows. I cant move, resize or close them except by clicking the taskbar icons. What can I do about this? Does any one of you know?

coffeecat
July 12th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean. If a window is maximised, you cannot resize it even though the 'handles' appear when you hover the mouse near the edge.

If you unmaximise a window, the mouse pointer should change to something like a handle (is this what you mean?) when it is over a horizontal or vertical edge. Or, bottom right, there is a small triangular area which lets you resize in 2 dimensions simultaneously.

If this isn't what you mean and you can't resize unmaximised windows, have you changed any settings in the gconf editor?

Vadi
July 12th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hi folks,
I dont get any handles to my windows. I cant move, resize or close them except by clicking the taskbar icons. What can I do about this? Does any one of you know?

Press Alt+F2 and do "gtk-window-decorator --replace". If that doesn't help, try "metacity --replace".

Edit: By the way, you can close a window by pressing Alt+F4, and move it by holding down alt and left-clicking.

sayakb
July 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Did you change your CCSM settings. Open CCSM, click Preferences and click Reset to Defaults.

Kraut-striver
July 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Hi everybode,

thanks for the kind advice. By "handles", I meant the windows frame, the bar at top of the window where you grab the window to move it and so.
The problem arose because I chose "visual effects" from the "settings->window appearence" dialogue. After choosing "no effects" the problem disappeared.
Now if you can reproduce the problem, we could continue the discussion, otherwise I simply thank you all again.

If you try to reproduce the problem and if you then loose these handles, press Alt+F2 and type "metacity --replace" to bring them back. You then loose the effects again.

sayakb
July 13th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Are you using (or have you installed) emerald theme manager? In that case, press Alt+F2 and type in emerald --replace. Also, did you do gtk-window-decorator --replace as Vadi said? What was the effect of that?

Kraut-striver
July 13th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Neither of these two helped. Still no windows handles when choosing any visual effects

sayakb
July 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM
At a terminal, do:

sudo apt-get install emerald
emerald --replace &

Kraut-striver
July 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM
That's what I did, but it doesn't have any effect. Can you reproduce the effect with your desktop?

Vadi
July 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM
No it works fine here heh. Tried "gtk-window-manager --replace"? What does it say in the terminal?

forger
July 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
try this:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall metacity
gconftool -s -t string /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/default '/usr/bin/metacity'
gconftool -s -t string /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/current '/usr/bin/metacity'

log out and log in again.

Are you using ubuntu hardy heron? post the output of this too:

lsb_release -a