PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New laptops...

Z_o-s-o
July 12th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Are there any new laptop models coming down the pipeline anytime soon?

imhavoc
July 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I spoke with Tom on the phone yesterday. Either they really aren't telling him, or he really is keeping it sealed. At least within the System76 user community, Carl is managing to build up anticipation of Apple proportions.

Heh! Instead of just posting a message to the System76 board for the release of new models, Carl should send out invitations to a press conference this time! He should probably skip on the black turtleneck, though.

MorphWVUtuba
July 12th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Nothing to see here. Please disperse and move along. :lolflag:

thinman1189
July 13th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Well I was about to buy a serval but if there's a new model coming out there's no point. So, seriously, anything within the next few months? I need a laptop for college.

Z_o-s-o
July 13th, 2008, 03:19 AM
im hoping for something mac like...

thinman1189
July 13th, 2008, 03:37 AM
If it was going to be anything within the next few months, they'd have announced it already, right?

shaft350x
July 15th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Considering that the Darter Ultra 2 (Daru2) is no longer available, I would say, yes, something is in the works. The time line for that something though I am clueless about. I don't know when it was pulled exactly, and I haven't seen anything from the System76 folks that indicates what or when.

My wife has one of the Daru1's, we got it because it was so small and light. [Complete and utter speculation follows:] I'm thinking that with the flood of ultrportables/netbooks/MIDs/whatever you want to call them, perhaps we'll see a System76 machine that competes with those since that is close to where the Darter has fit in their line-up. So whether System76 is going to hop into that niche, or if they stick with the higher end section of the pool, I'll be watching out for it. Quite frankly, if System76 comes out with something in that niche at a competitive price, I'd be all over that.