PDA

View Full Version : When Intrepid Ibex (Final) is released, will u stay with HH or will u go for II?

sharks
July 12th, 2008, 07:47 AM
If Intrepid Ibex(Final) is released, will u stay with HH(for LTS support) or will u go for II?

Sand & Mercury
July 12th, 2008, 07:49 AM
II... I have a peculiar fetish for having the latest of something, no matter how much trouble I go to to get it :/

samjh
July 12th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I'll go for Ibex.

The only time I've "stayed" with an older release is Dapper, and that was only because of a driver problem with Edgy.

RiceMonster
July 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Arch

Canis familiaris
July 12th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I want latest stuff. SO I'll use Intrepid.

kevin11951
July 12th, 2008, 07:55 AM
II for me

init1
July 12th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I'll switch to Intrepid, because Ubuntu runs so horribly on my system (in fact, it crashed just a few minutes ago)

frup
July 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I will upgrade my own machine to the latest. My installation is pretty generic apart from the applications I have installed, If I had vast amounts of compiled software (which wasn't just for updates in version, which would most likely be superseded in the new upgrade) or a lot of manual configurations I probably would not bother upgrading.

My girlfriends machine is a pentium 3, it ran 6.10 until January because there was just no need to upgrade, then I upgraded it in early January to get the ipod nano 3g working (7.10). It's still running 7.10 and until something else HAS to be updated or the computer dies... it will run 7.10

My grandparents are running 8.04 on it I have manually set up the wireless (for a printer connection because LDP is the only way on linux) and ethernet (for internet) to work at the same time. In 8.04 this is surprisingly hard and I couldn't be bothered getting them to spend money on more equipment... I will consider upgrading to 8.10 that machine if it solves problems... it's a generic dell that had to be rescued from vista, 5 minute boot times anyone?

My old machine will probably stay on 8.04 because it's just getting so old and I use it less and less.

My brother will most likely upgrade his machines to 8.10... he is like me, although between us we also usually have a machine running the alphas or betas... currently this is not the case.

If I can find some ram for another laptop I will take mandrake 10.1 off it and actually install a modern OS, but currently it is packed away because 128mb really isn't worth running anything with out a specific purpose in mind.

My girlfriend has also asked about me installing Ubuntu on her families laptop... I would probably use 8.04 and keep it at that unless ibex actually had any worthwhile features... currently not much looks that appealing... but I suppose OO.o3 could be worth it alone if it's features are needed enough.

When I first began using linux I was always concerned about the newest. Now I'm looking at things more critically and looking for features/reasons to upgrade OR even reasons not to upgrade where considerable manual configuration has been done.

mrgnash
July 12th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Heh, I'll be using Intrepid around about the time Alpha 6 comes along, in all likelihood.

LMP900
July 12th, 2008, 08:23 AM
It depends. The fact that it is an LTS doesn't really make the current version more attractive. However, 8.04 runs very well on my notebook so I might stick with it until 9.04. If there are some must-have features then perhaps I will upgrade. Also, I've been meaning to try out the 64-bit version or make the switch to KDE (or both ;)) so those are other reasons for upgrading.

I seem to be more excited about the spring releases rather than the fall ones. Anyone else feel the same way?

L815
July 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I'm going for it. I like being up to date, even if there is an LTS version.

samjh
July 12th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I'd encourage anyone who runs Ubuntu on a non-critical machine, to start using Ibex from beta release. That way bugs will get discovered sooner and give the developers better chance of triaging and fixing them.

UniverseA7X
July 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I'll likely keep hardy on this machine till the next LTS release, or if I'm really drooling over a new ubuntu version. On my Macbook, I'll likely upgrade to II, and then 9.04 After that and follow the releases.

FuturePilot
July 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I'm upgrading. I don't see much sense in LTS on a desktop.
Though I might just leave Hardy on my server.

Heinzelotto
July 12th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Arch

yay :popcorn:

Bachstelze
July 12th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I, too, will upgrade long before the release, and my servers are not running Ubuntu.

jomiolto
July 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Hardy works very well for me, and I just might stay with it, unless there is some compelling reason to upgrade to Intrepid (such as KDE 4.1, if it turns out to be stable enough for full-time use).

Jim!
July 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I will probably just upgrade to Intrepid Ibex once it's released.

speedwell68
July 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I'll stay with HH for a month or so after II is released. I'll let any issues be ironed out first.

joninkrakow
July 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I'm very happy with the LTS, and see no reason to upgrade, esp since I'm running on older hardware. Maybe if I were running the latest and greatest hardware, I would update, but right now, I'm happy, and see no need to upgrade.

-Jon

AnonCat
July 12th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I'll be sticking with HH until the next LTS release, but I've been debating installing the next release of Mandriva. I might partition my HD to allow me to install another distro alongside my current one.

RATM_Owns
July 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM
When Intrepid Ibex is released I'm gonna be going to switch to that.

eldragon
July 12th, 2008, 01:46 PM
i will move my laptop to II, right away (or probably after some beta is released)...

server stays in HH until II matures a bit. unless II comes with a big improvement....

i still have a third computer which has GG on it, dont want to move it anywhere until pulse audio and skype can talk together nicely.

to tell the truth, since HH stabilized, there is nothing to tweak, and i feel quite bored on the desktop...wanna break the kernel :D

Sealbhach
July 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I have a triple boot,

Vista, OpenSuse and Hardy.

I think I'll put Ibex where openSuse is and test it out for a while. Or I might just nuke Vista.

nick09
July 12th, 2008, 01:57 PM
On this 3-4 year old computer it is Hardy. When I get my own laptop I'm debating if I should get II or not.

keiichidono
July 12th, 2008, 02:08 PM
II for me, i don't like old things and i always like to be on the bleeding edge.

HansKisaragi
July 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM
II .. I always upgrade, i don't need LTS .. i need the latest ;)

bomanizer
July 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I'm still using Gutsy :P

Superkoop
July 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM
On my lappy, I will update to Intrepid right away, depending on how busy I am with school at that time. Or, more than likely, I will update to RC1. And if KDE 4.1 is ready for full time use by then, I may switch to that. For sure I will be updating to 8.10 though, GNOME or KDE alike.

On my parents machine, I will be leaving Hardy on it until next summer, when I get home for summer vacation. Which means 9.04 will be going on it. Unless something gets fudged up, and in that case I will be putting 8.10 on it during Christmas break. ;)

kko1
July 12th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I seem to be more excited about the spring releases rather than the fall ones. Anyone else feel the same way?

It's the hormones. ;)

gn2
July 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Yes. Both 6.10 and 7.10 caused huge problems on my hardware, 7.04 and 8.04 didn't cause any.

joshdudeha
July 12th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Loll, what do you mean "If" it is released?

It will be, obviously.

But yeah, I'll go onto II - latest for me.

scottuss
July 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I'll be straight onto II, with the hope that my wireless on my old laptop is supported without having to mess about for 6 hours to get it working!

Also, I've read that there are some cool new things in II.

Exciting isn't it!?
:guitar:

VitaLiNux
July 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I'll stick with hardy until I test II through a VM.

walkerk
July 12th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I'll go with Ibex... I have no need for LTS

amazingtaters
July 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM
It's the Ibex for me. In fact, I will be hopping on board the Ibex train before I go to school, probably early August after Aplha 3 is out.

dizee
July 12th, 2008, 07:42 PM
i always end up upgrading either way. gutsy was absolutely perfect for me but i upgraded, and now compiz performance is a little worse, and there are some issues with switching users that gutsy didn't have. but for whatever reason i get the latest one eventually (it was about 3 weeks after hardy was released when i decided to install it).

Ioky
July 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I am thinking to go for the Kubuntu II haha so I can enjoy all the cool app that come with II and have a LTS. who doesn't like double wins?

NikoC
July 12th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hmmz, at first I was thinking, no, got HH up and running just fine, even with KDE4 now... so why bother? But I know me, so will probably be downloading and installing II first day after release :)

youthforlinux
July 12th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Breezy Badger 5.10

MaxIBoy
July 12th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I'm putting Intrepid Ibex on my extra partition to see if I like it. I heard they're doing a lot of overhauls, but I like the system the way it is.

SilverDragon
July 13th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Since I'm college student, I'm not sure if I'll try to upgrade right away or wait until Christmas break.

I'll upgrade the family computer at home to II during Christmas break.

Won't the majority of home users upgrade to II if they upgraded to HH? I don't see any compelling reason to stay with HH unless II breaks compatibility with something like your wireless.

ApOgEEs
July 24th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I am still using Gutsy on HP Compaq nx9010 laptop and I have tried to upgrade to Hardy but gives me so much trouble since the beginning (booting the LiveCD). I do also tried to upgrade using Update Manager but booting with the new kernel also gives me lots of troubles.

I've download Intrepid daily-build LiveCD on July 21st and it simply works (successfully boot and working) on the laptop but still with some troubles with broadcom wifi and ATI graphic card. But I think I will try to help by submitting bugs and test Intrepid until it is fully working on this old laptop. :)

cardinals_fan
July 24th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I probably won't upgrade. The Xubuntu devs have decided (rightly, if you ask me) not to include the newly-to-be-released Xfce 4.6 in Intrepid [unless it is both on time and remarkably stable], and that's the only upgrade I'd care about. I'll wait until 9.04 (which I'll fresh install).

EDIT: Or maybe I'll upgrade if 4.6 is deemed stable enough to fit into Intrepid. Or maybe I'll upgrade and install 4.6 from PPA. Or maybe I'll upgrade and just use 4.4. In other words, I have no idea what I'll do in November. It may depend on how busy I am.

days_of_ruin
July 24th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Arch

The question wasn't directed at you obviously...

Joeb454
July 24th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Why is the title "If Intrepid Ibex..." I'm pretty sure it will be released at some point ;)

tiachopvutru
July 24th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I'll most likely go with Intrepid Ibex right when it's released. Either that, or I'll probably wait until the .1 version comes out for stability.

Raistlin82
July 24th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I'll probably go for II when its out, although I may wait for a month or so see what problems people have..... Yeah right, who am I kidding... I will want the new stuff as soon as I can get it! \\:D/

ghindo
July 24th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I'll probably go with Intrepid. How can I resist all the shiny new features? :) That, and the newer versions of software in the repos are appealing. (Yes, I know I can go out an compile them myself, but where's the fun in that?)
It's the hormones. ;)I loled :popcorn:

Kotjze
July 24th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I'll probably stay unless there's some super awesome new feature. The only reason I don't want to upgrade it is because sometimes the upgrade messes up something whereas a clean install would work better. But I'm probably gonna stay anyway because of LTS.

waapwoop1
July 24th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Since this is my first time using Ubuntu, i'm using Hardy. Never seen an update of an O.S before etc.

Will I have to reinstall, or will it just appear in the updates?

I have spent a lot of time configuring my laptop, will all this be lost if i update?

Lacrimstein
July 24th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Well, you CAN upgrade your system, but I would not recommend doing that because many issues were reported arising from that. You should do a clean install.

I myself will be using Intrepid as soon as the beta comes out.

Shazaam
July 24th, 2008, 03:22 AM
I still have room on my drives so yes, I will install Ibex.

retrow
July 24th, 2008, 03:22 AM
I installed II Alpha2 using update-manager -d on my test computer, but it never booted into graphical environment. Seems like Ibex in its current form isn't ready for my machines. I'll try again around Alpha5. To answer the poll question - I'll be using II even before its Beta release.

Can+~
July 24th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I'll wait around a month, and then move to Ibex.

TheAlmightyCthulhu
July 24th, 2008, 03:36 AM
If Intrepid Ibex(Final) is released, will u stay with HH(for LTS support) or will u go for II?

I'm having motherboard issues with Hardy, I will probably bite the bullet and dist-upgrade to Intrepid Alpha 3, if it's not too horribly broken.

It may just be me, but Intrepid Alphas so far seem to be buggier than any pre-releases I've seen.

Though this could be due to massively revamped _everything_....

Hey, if it works in the end, awesome.

TheAlmightyCthulhu
July 24th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I installed II Alpha2 using update-manager -d on my test computer, but it never booted into graphical environment. Seems like Ibex in its current form isn't ready for my machines. I'll try again around Alpha5. To answer the poll question - I'll be using II even before its Beta release.

You can drop to the terminal and do an apt-get dist-upgrade and it will fix the broken packages that won't let you boot up.

Unfortunately, Pulseaudio is busted, and there are MANY issues with Nvidia.

SomeGuyDude
July 24th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I'm tempted to test 'er out now.

HH is 99% smooth but lacks in a few areas. My hotkeys don't work like they did in Gutsy nor does the LED light for my wireless (it's always orange, never blue). In II alpha 1 the LED was good but there were some serious issues otherwise. I'm definitely going to go for it, though.

Jinxx
July 24th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I'll stick with hardy until I test II through a VM.

That's how I'm going to do it, too. I tested II Alpha today in VM, and it crashed. I even downloaded a .vdi that was supposedly set up with II, and it crashed, too. (I know it's Alpha, and I'm not complaining. :D)

I figure if it can run stably in VirtualBox, it can run stably on real hardware. :)

the yawner
July 24th, 2008, 04:02 AM
This time I'm more inclined to staying with Hardy on my laptop. There's a chance that I might migrate if I find new features appealing. And I intend to find out using a virtual machine. :D

roachk71
July 24th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I had voted to keep Hardy...

Actually, it depends upon whether the improvements are worth the installation (for some reason, the upgrades always break something, so I usually do a clean installation from the alternate CD.)

At present I'm running 7.10, since I had created a custom Live DVD with my themes, emulators, games, etc. and it's been much more stable for me, at least.

UPDATE: I have switched back to Hardy, so I can use TrueCrypt on both of my machine's OSes (the other is XP.) TrueCrypt tends to freeze on earlier kernels.

dracule
July 24th, 2008, 06:12 AM
II for me.

I have only updated since 7.04 on this laptop.

For 8.10, I plan on making my windows partition smaller (currently like 60gb) my ubuntu partition bigger (currently 8gb, yes i know small. when i saw this i couldnt believe my eyes. I was like :o all my files and movies fit onto that?!)

then doing a clean install of 8.10 :) I cant wait. the only bad thing is that I have to set everything up again (mah themes)

david_lynch
July 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I'll stick with hardy on my servers, but I'll definitely throw intrepid on my laptop and desktop...

imon9
July 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM
i am using intrepid now, it is stable, many things i wanted fixed is fixed:
(1) my intel-hda soundcard internal mic works now
(2) nautilus has a new mode call "compact" (in addition to icon and list)
(3) my ENE card reader now can read SD card > 1GB
(4) the audio-re corder now has a volume-meter so i know that i am recording things

on the other hands, there is a few annoyance left which i hoped to be fixed in the end release:
slow start menu respond when we first time click on it after boot. This is due to the icon need to be loaded (and they use a large icon). Imho, they should really fix this

hellion0
July 24th, 2008, 08:47 AM
It depends on what new software's offered for me. I'll probably upgrade one of the laptops anyway, but new software will be the clinching point for upgrading my desktop at all.

hessiess
July 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM
whare is the 'outher'option? by the time ibex is reliced I will have finished switching to arch.

billgoldberg
July 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I'll start using it from RC1.

I need my machines to work (not for work) so alpha's and beta's are a no go.

Vicfred
July 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM
II if i'd want a stable os i'd return to debian >O< but the LTS version are nice anyway...

Bachstelze
July 24th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Switched to Intrepid today. As expected, besides a few minor issues, it just Works For Me™. Keep in mind that doesn't mean it will work for you, though. Actually, it most likely will not...

flytripper
July 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM
why are there so many releases? its really annoying. simple security+system updates would suffice, surely the difference to the kernel cant be that much.

Bachstelze
July 24th, 2008, 01:15 PM
why are there so many releases? its really annoying.

Yeah, right. Let's just make one release and forget it. Hail to Firefox 1.0 and KDE 3.2 !

Canis familiaris
July 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, right. Let's just make one release and forget it. Hail to Firefox 1.0 and KDE 3.2 !

:lolflag:

gunashekar
July 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I will try II on two machines (notebook and desktop) before deciding on the others.

pmlxuser
July 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Damn why in the world would i want to be in April when it November.
My 100th motto Backwards NEVER forward EVER
if my update manager says distro upgrade available I click update!!!! ;)

artir
July 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I will install II. It has a lot of new improvements!

BigSilly
July 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Don't know really. I've been mulling this one over for a while.

Wasn't that keen on Hardy at first, but since 8.04.1 it's been very nice indeed. I've got it just how I like it, and I can imagine sticking with it for the long run. There simply might be no point in changing if it's all good as it is.

Then again, I do have a bit of OCD with Linux, so I'll have to at least try out the Ibex at some point. I'll vote a bit later on methinks. :)

Npl
July 24th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I`ll DL and try the live-CD. The upshot is that Totem should work flawless with h264 Movies, unlike Hardy which requires me to compile newer gstreamer-plugins.
I dont understand why Hardy-Repos aint providing updated gstreamer packages.

bruce89
July 24th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I dont understand why Hardy-Repos aint providing updated gstreamer packages.

It's the way in Debian based distros. Once a distro is stable, the number of package changes is very small. It means no bugs can creep in.

Npl
July 24th, 2008, 05:52 PM
It's the way in Debian based distros. Once a distro is stable, the number of package changes is very small. It means no bugs can creep in.In case of Gstreamer, that means no bugs get fixed either :(
I mean there are repos for security fixes (I can understand that some ppl might only want security updates). And one for updates, which IMHO should include stuff like updated Gstreamer packages which fix and improve functionality (aslong they arent big jumps and backwardscompatible)

Canis familiaris
July 24th, 2008, 05:53 PM
In case of Gstreamer, that means no bugs get fixed either :(

Why dont you use Xine/MPlayer/VLC?

Npl
July 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Why dont you use Xine/MPlayer/VLC?Cause VLC is buttugly and all frontends for MPlayer are incredibly buggy and/or dont integrate well with Gnome.
Id like a simple and working Mediaplayer (think Mediaplayer Classic for Windows) - and Totem, even with all its bugs, seems to be the closest so far.

bruce89
July 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM
In case of Gstreamer, that means no bugs get fixed either :(
I mean there are repos for security fixes (I can understand that some ppl might only want security updates). And one for updates, which IMHO should include stuff like updated Gstreamer packages which fix and improve functionality (aslong they arent big jumps and backwardscompatible)

True, you can try bugging the developers. They'll demand a ChangeLog, a diffstat and a written letter from the Pope before they consider it. After that, it'll be in hardy-proposed for at least a week before it is finally fixed 2 weeks before Intrepid is released.

cardinals_fan
July 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Cause VLC is buttugly and all frontends for MPlayer are incredibly buggy and/or dont integrate well with Gnome.
Id like a simple and working Mediaplayer (think Mediaplayer Classic for Windows) - and Totem, even with all its bugs, seems to be the closest so far.
Give RealPlayer a try. I like it :)

Canis familiaris
July 24th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Cause VLC is buttugly and all frontends for MPlayer are incredibly buggy and/or dont integrate well with Gnome.

Totem-Xine?

Oldsoldier2003
July 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Current LTS on the desktop and current dev release in a VM is my latest approach to managing releases on my computer.

y6FgBn)~v
July 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM
+1 for Ibex

Darkade
July 24th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I downloaded Hardy Heron Since Alpha 3 and installed in another partition. Probably will do the same with Ibex

billgoldberg
July 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM

You're saying vlc is uglier than mediaplayer classic?

Wow.

Vlc is theme able you know.

What totem bugs are you reffering to?

gnome-mplayer integrates well with gnome and doesn't seem to have any bugs to speak off.

aaaantoine
July 24th, 2008, 10:13 PM
When Intrepid Ibex final is released, I will download and burn the 64-bit ISO and see if hardware support for my laptop is coming along any better.

Depending on that, and depending on other improvements and regressions (there are always regressions...), I will consider the upgrade to Intrepid.

Though I am a sucker for new stuff.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 25th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I didn't vote because I will have to try it first. If it works on one of my computers, and I like it, I'll update that computer to Intrepid Ibex. However, I will not spend very much time trying to get a computer to work with it. I already have more than one version of Ubuntu running on my computers for that reason.

ghindo
July 25th, 2008, 12:53 AM
why are there so many releases? its really annoying. simple security+system updates would suffice, surely the difference to the kernel cant be that much.Hardware support, for one.
Totem-Xine?+1

mehaga
July 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I already went for... OpenSuse 11

Lord Xeb
July 25th, 2008, 02:25 AM
8.10. So some time around october >_> since 8.04 was released in April :D