PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to uninstall Firefox 3 Beta and install non-beta version?

jacob85
July 12th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Yesterday, i installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and it has Firefox 3 Beta 5. But i want to use new proper version of Firefox.
How can i do this?

SkonesMickLoud
July 12th, 2008, 07:58 AM
In a terminal window, paste the following:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

This will update Firefox as well as all other outdated packages on your system.

jacob85
July 12th, 2008, 08:54 AM
thanks but i just want firefox. i don't want other updates.

SkonesMickLoud
July 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM
In that case, go to System >> Admin >> Update Manager, and uncheck everything but Firefox.

Dale61
July 13th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Re: the poll question.

Did what worked?

orclev
August 8th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Just tried it out and it didn't work for me. It looks like beta 5 is the latest version in the Ubuntu repositories. I just downloaded 3.0.1 from Mozilla directly, and I'm going to see how a "manual" upgrade fares. Would be nice if Ubuntu updated their repositories though, as 3.0.0b5 is quite out of date at this point (I'm updating myself because FF keeps locking up on certain pages).

aysiu
August 8th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Can you paste these commands in the terminal and then paste the output back here?
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
cat /etc/lsb-release
ls -l /usr/bin/firefox
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox

Dale61
August 9th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Just tried it out and it didn't work for me. It looks like beta 5 is the latest version in the Ubuntu repositories. I just downloaded 3.0.1 from Mozilla directly, and I'm going to see how a "manual" upgrade fares. Would be nice if Ubuntu updated their repositories though, as 3.0.0b5 is quite out of date at this point (I'm updating myself because FF keeps locking up on certain pages).

I have FF 3.0.1, which was downloaded from the repo's. I did a manual download / install of FF2, and had heaps of problems, but have been trouble free with the repo downloaded FF 3.0.1.

SkonesMickLoud
August 9th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Do you have all repo's enabled?

Before you update, run:

sudo aptitude update

And yes, I know that Update Manager does this, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

sandysandy
August 9th, 2008, 07:06 AM
sudo apt-get install firefox works

it will get u version 3.01 as of now

regards

Bearna
September 9th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Hi
I have exactly this issue. But on following the instructions below I am told I have the most up to date version of firefox. The firefox version installed is the Firefox 3 Beta 5
Details as follows
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008041514 Firefox/3.0b5

Has anyone encountered this issue

Thanks

SkonesMickLoud
September 9th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hi
I have exactly this issue. But on following the instructions below I am told I have the most up to date version of firefox. The firefox version installed is the Firefox 3 Beta 5
Details as follows
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008041514 Firefox/3.0b5

Has anyone encountered this issue

Thanks

Might try uninstalling/reinstalling.

First, you'll want to back up your ~/.mozilla folder:

cp ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.back

Close all instances of Firefox and don't start them until after the reinstall.

Then, fire up Synaptic, search for Firefox, select "Mark for Complete Removal", click apply. Then, click "Reload". Now, find Firefox again. Make sure the column titled "Latest Version" reads 3.0.1. Mark for install, click apply. Start FF3.

Bearna
September 10th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Hi there
Thanks for the reply. No success I am afraid. I followed your directions but the only version available for install was the beta version again. I continued with the install and got the following version reference

Is there something I am missing or soemthing else I could try?

Thanks in advance

cariboo
September 10th, 2008, 03:21 AM
You may have to update your sources list before you can install firefox 3. IF it is saying that Firefox 3.0b5 is the latest release version. In a terminal type:

sudo apt-get update

Then

sudo apt-get installl firefox

Jim

Bearna
September 10th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hi guys
Still no luck I am afraid. I got the following message when I followed the above instructions

sudo apt-get install firefox
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
firefox is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Bearna
October 31st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hi folks
Maybe I have stumbled on the solution inadvertently here myself. In attempting the upgrade to 8.10 I note from the upgrade instructions to go to start/administration/software sources. When there check the tab for upgrades and click on the butoons for important security upgrades and recommended upgrades. Details are shown here - http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Both of these had defaulted to not being ticked for me in 8.04. By completing this I checked for upgrades and got notifiied of over 360 upgrades outstanding! One of these was Firefox beta to the latest release. Clicking install upgrades without upgrading completed the trick.