PDA

View Full Version : Flash 10 in hardy-backports

fluteflute
July 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Has anyone else noticed this? (There's a bug report (https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hardy-backports/+bug/235135) on launchpad.)

This seems like a fairly major backport (especially as Flash 10 is still Beta) to what is meant to be a stable LTS release. Any thoughts?

bikeboy
July 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Backports are optional and not enabled by default. That's why a beta could be put in there despite this being an LTS. If stability is your main focus, even enabling Universe might not be the best idea.

L815
July 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Yeah I noticed it today when my firefox crashes on random websites with flash (weather.com for ex, but youtube works fine :O)

I checked my flash because it had been a fresh install & figured flash is the culprit and noticed 10 was on.

I just hope Adobe releases a final version fast :)

samjh
July 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Flash 10 beta has been working better than Flash 9, in my opinion.

L815
July 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Flash 10 beta has been working better than Flash 9, in my opinion.

Not for me unfortunately :/, 9 worked well for me, and 10 seems to be worse lol

samjh
July 12th, 2008, 08:53 AM

It's one of those "your mileage may vary" things. :)

fluteflute
July 12th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Backports are optional and not enabled by default. That's why a beta could be put in there despite this being an LTS. If stability is your main focus, even enabling Universe might not be the best idea.
True, it just surpised me as we rarely get major update through backports.

madjr
July 12th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah I noticed it today when my firefox crashes on random websites with flash (weather.com for ex, but youtube works fine :O)

I checked my flash because it had been a fresh install & figured flash is the culprit and noticed 10 was on.

I just hope Adobe releases a final version fast :)

you should add this comment in the reported bugs at the Adobe bug reporting site

see my sign

Masoris
July 12th, 2008, 10:02 AM
When I installed Flash 10 beta manually, I had problem that I cannot use flash on Prism. But this release solve this problem. :)

keiichidono
July 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the info, i'll check it out. EDIT: I already have Flash 10 so i didn't see it there, darn.

stmiller
July 12th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Flash 10beta is an improvement for me from 9. Some sites like bbc news do not work- claiming the wrong flash version is installed. Bleh.

darweth
July 12th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Bah. It runs much worse for me. Yahoo.com and Facebook pages uses 100% CPU now since Flash 10 is installed. I will look on going back.

mister_k81
July 12th, 2008, 11:48 PM

I've had mixed results so far. The first Beta is a nice improvement over 9, I'm still using it now. Beta 2 was a mess in comparison though.. it was a CPU hog.

Hopefully the next beta will be a bigger improvement.

joseph1975
July 13th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I was having problems with the new flashplugin, until I purged the old flashplugin and reinstalled it. Now it works perfectly. Just a tip.

Thanks,
Mark

Icehuck
July 13th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I was having problems with the new flashplugin, until I purged the old flashplugin and reinstalled it. Now it works perfectly. Just a tip.

Thanks,
Mark

I purged 9 and 10 and resinstalled and 10 is still running crappy for me. For me 9 worked pretty much flawlessly and 10 has issues with flash menu's.

teet
July 13th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Bah. It runs much worse for me. Yahoo.com and Facebook pages uses 100% CPU now since Flash 10 is installed. I will look on going back.

I noticed the same problem with the the second beta and had to go back to flash 9 (the first beta didn't seem to have these problems).

On the upside, I did notice that flash 10 seemed to fix a lot of problems too (like the menu overlay thing)...they'll get it sorted out eventually.

-teet

kostkon
July 13th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Flash 10 plays well with PulseAudio so you can remove libflashsupport (it causes major crashes).

Although, I have to say that I also get some crashes now with some sites (even without libflashsupport); I suppose it's beta so it is to be expected.

stchman
December 19th, 2008, 07:17 PM
How does the flashplugin-nonfree work now? I am wanting to install it on my Hardy boxes. Any problems?

Thanks.