PDA

View Full Version : Tiling WM Users: What's your favorite?

cardinals_fan
July 12th, 2008, 02:24 AM
What's your favorite tiling WM? Mine is Xmonad.

Mods, feel free to move this to recurring discussions if necessary.

-grubby
July 12th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I've only been using wmii for 2 days - but I love it.

RiceMonster
July 12th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Never could settle into a tiling WM. I voted Awesome though, because I came really close to switching to it, but I couldn't find a way to use a system tray without it being annoying, and I can't live without a system tray (because of apps like emesene and deluge).

Xmonad is nice too.

angry_johnnie
July 12th, 2008, 05:50 AM
The first one I used was dwm, but then I didn't really know what the heck it was supposed to be, and I didn't like it. It may actually be better than I seem to recall, but I'm biased. I have it on my feisty machine, but I'd rather use something else.

Then I learned what twm's were all about, but since I already hated dwm, I tried awesome instead. It's ok... I guess... but I got more than just a little confused with it. I don't hate it. I just never got a hang of tags and such.

So I use Xmonad now, not always, and not for everything, but I like it. It may not be the fanciest, but maybe that's what I like about it. It's easy enough.

RiceMonster
July 12th, 2008, 08:01 AM
So I'm going to try wmii again tomorrow, since the interface is kinda like Vim, and last time I didn't give it a proper try.

markp1989
October 19th, 2008, 12:27 AM
just tried xmonad, its the only tiling wm that i have felt confortable in, woule be perfect if i could get a close button in the borders

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 12:30 AM
just tried xmonad, its the only tiling wm that i have felt confortable in, woule be perfect if i could get a close button in the borders

Alt + Shift + C

I even use that (well try to) in Windows and GNOME.

I use xmonad at the moment, because I like its defaults over wmii.

I haven't tried all of them.

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 01:28 AM
doesn't get any simpler than dwm. it might not do everything you want, but i love the philosophy. it's the gym shorts and plain teeshirts of wm's.

http://d.imagehost.org/t/0372/dwmscr.jpg (http://d.imagehost.org/view/0372/dwmscr.jpg)

doorknob60
October 19th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Sad, but I've never used any of those :-P I use Openbox, but it's not a tiling WM so it doesn't count as a vote.

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 01:34 AM
doesn't get any simpler than dwm. it might not do everything you want, but i love the philosophy. it's the gym shorts and plain teeshirts of wm's.

Ratpoison. Its the fig leaf of wm's.

OutOfReach
October 19th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I love both Xmonad and Wmii. But for now, I'm with Openbox. Though, I do use tiling wm's sometimes.
I've tried Dwm, but it just doesn't fit me.

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Ratpoison. Its the fig leaf of wm's.

you might as well just go naked (console) and skip the bugs.

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 01:47 AM
you might as well just go naked (console) and skip the bugs.

Same argument for a fig leaf I think.

I have found ratpoison useful for systems that were mostly CLI only, but I need the occasionally use of Opera or something.

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Same argument for a fig leaf I think.

I have found ratpoison useful for systems that were mostly CLI only, but I need the occasionally use of Opera or something.

using screen and dtvm in the console is great, but the internet is a partially visual medium. for me, dwm embraces the visual, while ratpoison seems to try to deny it to the very end (ion3 is in the same boat, in my view).

edit: i should add that i think opera is a far better 'visual' browser for a tiling wm than firefox (and who cares about the rest?).

jimi_hendrix
October 19th, 2008, 01:58 AM
ive only used wmii and i love it...i feel fast and efficient and it came with a very user friendly guide

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 02:00 AM
ive only used wmii and i love it...i feel fast and efficient and it came with a very user friendly guide

did you use it with all that plan9 stuff? (seems to make a difference...)

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 02:03 AM
using screen and dtvm in the console is great, but the internet is a partially visual medium. for me, dwm embraces the visual, while ratpoison seems to try to deny it to the very end (ion3 is in the same boat, in my view).

That is what I mean, ratpoison is basically a GUI screen first. It is useful for when the majority of apps are CLI.

dizzy1kenobi
October 19th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I feel like I'm missing out. What is a tiling program for?

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 02:05 AM

It is a window manager. See post six: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=952169

(Then look at wikipedia on tiling WM's)

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 02:31 AM
That is what I mean, ratpoison is basically a GUI screen first. It is useful for when the majority of apps are CLI.

yeah, but the only problem is that a visual need takes up a higher percentage of one's attention. i feel that dwm, and the like, address that visual need more than ratpoison does. ratpoison seems almost apologetic for appearing in X. (documentation on how it came about is surely amusing, though.).

instead of piling all your apps, one on top of another, a tiling window manager actually bothers to manage your windows (imagine that!).

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 02:40 AM
yeah, but the only problem is that a visual need takes up a higher percentage of one's attention. i feel that dwm, and the like, address that visual need more than ratpoison does. ratpoison seems almost apologetic for appearing in X. (documentation on how it came about is surely amusing, though.).

Yes, I agree. (All points)

instead of piling all your apps, one on top of another, a tiling window manager actually bothers to manage your windows (imagine that!).

And, gives you the ability to pile apps if you want to. Most of the time, the WM's default placement and sizing works perfectly. Rarely do I have to do anything to the windows. In GNOME, etc, one spends a lot of time moving, resizing, dragging, clicking and managing windows.

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 02:49 AM
In GNOME, etc, one spends a lot of time moving, resizing, dragging, clicking and managing windows.

it's not just gnome. it's all of them. since i switched to arch, i've found myself (for whatever reason) having to use side by side terminals. it's so simple in a tiling wm, but it's a pain in a floater (pekwm and flwm, at least, give you a vertical or horizontal option).

dizzy1kenobi
October 19th, 2008, 02:51 AM
It is a window manager. See post six: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=952169

(Then look at wikipedia on tiling WM's)

OK I see the screen shots but what does it look like with the tiling

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 02:53 AM
it's not just gnome. it's all of them. since i switched to arch, i've found myself (for whatever reason) having to use side by side terminals. it's so simple in a tiling wm, but it's a pain in a floater (pekwm and flwm, at least, give you a vertical or horizontal option).

"GNOME, etc"

xmonad and wmii also have such options.

Zyphrexi
October 19th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I don't believe I've used a tiling wm before. I downloaded a few mentioned, i'll try them out.

EDIT: sadly after launching both awesome and wmii I found myself totally confused as I seemed to have no context menu or anything that might allow me to launch programs. Eventually I got bored mashing random keys and did a ctrl-alt-bkspc

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 02:58 AM
OK I see the screen shots but what does it look like with the tiling

traditional floating wm's just toss every app one on top of the other. tiling wm's allocate the whole space so that each app gets maximum space without overlapping, usually with the majority of the space going to the newly opened app. it's like the difference between driving in spokane, wa. (a grid city) and boston, ma. ( a bunch of drunkenly paved cow paths).

dizzy1kenobi
October 19th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Oh, I think I see. The tiling wm places thins on the desktop like puzzle pieces instead of overlapping each other. Is that right? I like that idea.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 03:10 AM

edit: i should add that i think opera is a far better 'visual' browser for a tiling wm than firefox (and who cares about the rest?).
+1

dwm is my current favorite. I also have a soft spot for Xmonad (see post #1 in this thread :P), but dwm is the only window manager I've found that requires less than 60 seconds of configuration before I'm happy with it.

I also agree that Opera is better than vanilla Firefox 'visually', although Vimperator is working very nicely with my tiling setup at the moment.

Oh, I think I see. The tiling wm places thins on the desktop like puzzle pieces instead of overlapping each other. Is that right? I like that idea.
That's pretty much right. I like tiling window managers because I can manage all my windows without using the mouse.

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I also agree that Opera is better than vanilla Firefox 'visually', although Vimperator is working very nicely with my tiling setup at the moment.

'fit to width' goes a long, long way.

zmjjmz
October 19th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Now I'm going to be looking at these tiling wm's when I get my Dell Mini Inspiron eventually, and I need to know this:
Which one has a good system tray? I'll need one.

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 04:31 AM

You are missing the point...

zmjjmz
October 19th, 2008, 04:32 AM
You are missing the point...

Really? I mean I'd use a system tray for telling me which apps need attention and when, what my battery life is like, what my wifi signal is like, and stuff like that.
I don't think a tiling WM takes those into account?

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Really? I mean I'd use a system tray for telling me which apps need attention and when, what my battery life is like, what my wifi signal is like, and stuff like that.

So far, using tiling window managers for laptops on batteries and wireless has been less than steller.

I am looking for a good way to manage wireless (and battery) without having to use such a scheme.

I was considering writing a "system monitor" type app that would monitor all of that, and allow wireless configurations and battery monitoring in a normal window.

I'll let everyone know if I get anywhere with this.

(It can all be done in the terminal, but it is TDS)

zmjjmz
October 19th, 2008, 04:41 AM
So far, using tiling window managers for laptops on batteries and wireless has been less than steller.

I am looking for a good way to manage wireless (and battery) without having to use such a scheme.

I was considering writing a "system monitor" type app that would monitor all of that, and allow wireless configurations and battery monitoring in a normal window.

I'll let everyone know if I get anywhere with this.

Well in Chucky's scrot I noticed ample space to put something like that.
i.e. in text:

batt. [||| ] ath0 ||-- Wireless Network ESSID 23:39:24
along the top.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Well in Chucky's scrot I noticed ample space to put something like that.
i.e. in text:

batt. [||| ] ath0 ||-- Wireless Network ESSID 23:39:24
along the top.
dwm has the ability to read from standard input right into its bar on the top. I just have the time in there, but you could probably do a lot :)

urukrama
October 19th, 2008, 12:25 PM

You could use dzen2 for that. You'll find plenty of examples on the wiki (http://dzen.geekmode.org/dwiki/doku.php).

markp1989
October 19th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Now I'm going to be looking at these tiling wm's when I get my Dell Mini Inspiron eventually, and I need to know this:

I am currently trying xmonad and fbpanel for launching, and a notification area ( i usualy use openbox or compiz)

see attached screen

red_Marvin
October 19th, 2008, 02:42 PM

In awesome you can set up text/bar/graph fields that you then can pipe information to from a script, as an example; In my awesomerc I have specified a textbox called mytextbox, that resides in the status bar called mystatusbar, I can then change the text to HELLO WORLD with
echo 0 widget_tell mystatusbar mytextbox text HELLO WORLD | awesome-client
That can be more sophisticated, so with the script
while [ 1 ]; do echo 0 widget_tell mystatusbar mytextbox text `date +%H%M` | awesome-client; sleep 1; done I can have a clock in the statusbar that updates every second.

zmjjmz
October 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
You could use dzen2 for that. You'll find plenty of examples on the wiki (http://dzen.geekmode.org/dwiki/doku.php).

That looks brilliant. Thanks

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM
here's arch's wiki page on dwm - http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dwm
it's where i found out how to add a clock to whatever that bar's called.

init1
October 19th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I usually rotate between Fluxbox and TWM.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I usually rotate between Fluxbox and TWM.
If by twm you mean tom's window manager (not tiling window manager), I admire your stamina. I've used twm for a while on NetBSD, but it got old and I installed dwm :)

SomeGuyDude
October 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I attempted Awesome today, but it's just not happening. I think if you're big on TWM's it's probably great, but I could not get used to having all my windows crunched down, especially my browser. Might try Xmonad later.

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I attempted Awesome today, but it's just not happening. I think if you're big on TWM's it's probably great, but I could not get used to having all my windows crunched down, especially my browser. Might try Xmonad later.

I haven't tried Awesome, but I don't understand what you mean by "having all my windows crunched down".

The whole point is the windows you are using are visible. Most of the time, three is the maximum for usefulness (that is rare though).

If you aren't using all the windows as you see them, don't open them all on the same tag.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I know what you mean. I noticed that when I first tried Awesome (which I still can't quite figure out :)). However, I don't really have a problem because:

a) I usually keep all my windows fullscreen and on separate workspaces on any window manager

b) whenever I open two or more windows on the same workspace, I want them both visible

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 08:34 PM

mod+space will take you through all the configurations (different tilings, one app maxed, vertical, whatever).

b) whenever I open two or more windows on the same workspace, I want them both visible

otherwise, there's no point in having both open. am i right about that?

SomeGuyDude
October 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Here's my defense of the floating window manager:

For the majority of computer users (though this may be less true amongst Linux users), really all that happens is internet browsing, chatting, and multimedia. While I use other apps, at a given time the odds are that all I've got going is GMPC, Firefox, an IRC or MUD client, and Pidgin.

Of these, my browser wants the majority of the space. The most screen space I can give it, the better. Using pypanel and the systray, I can eliminate having most windows visible most of the time.

- My music player is mapped to my hotkeys, so unless I want to pick a certain song or switch playlists, I have it in the tray.

- My Pidgin list stays hidden in the tray, and any IM windows stay minimized unless the icon flashes to tell me I have a message.

- The MUD or IRC window works similarly, staying either minimized or behind all other windows unless they need my attention.

Frankly, I don't need all these windows visible at all times, because they require so little attention. I can have my browser taking up almost all the screen space and if I see that, say, KildClient has something going on I can Alt-Tab over to it briefly.

Far from spending a lot of time moving windows around, I spend almost no time because I'm not multitasking to that extent. I'm not switching between windows frantically, juggling things, with the occasional exception of doing something in the terminal that requires copying and pasting. The floating manager lets me work in a window and then hide it away until it's needed again.

The TWM philosophy seems to be "everything you're doing on screen at all times" and while I'm sure there are people who do that, it seems like 99% of the screenshot examples I see are all terminals and similar apps. It's not often you see someone demonstrating Awesome with, say, Firefox and AmaroK.

-grubby
October 19th, 2008, 08:51 PM

I usually accomplish the same thing using seperate workspaces

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 08:56 PM
otherwise, there's no point in having both open. am i right about that?
Exactly

For the majority of computer users (though this may be less true amongst Linux users), really all that happens is internet browsing, chatting, and multimedia. While I use other apps, at a given time the odds are that all I've got going is GMPC, Firefox, an IRC or MUD client, and Pidgin.

Of these, my browser wants the majority of the space. The most screen space I can give it, the better. Using pypanel and the systray, I can eliminate having most windows visible most of the time.

- My music player is mapped to my hotkeys, so unless I want to pick a certain song or switch playlists, I have it in the tray.

- My Pidgin list stays hidden in the tray, and any IM windows stay minimized unless the icon flashes to tell me I have a message.

- The MUD or IRC window works similarly, staying either minimized or behind all other windows unless they need my attention.

Frankly, I don't need all these windows visible at all times, because they require so little attention. I can have my browser taking up almost all the screen space and if I see that, say, KildClient has something going on I can Alt-Tab over to it briefly.

Far from spending a lot of time moving windows around, I spend almost no time because I'm not multitasking to that extent. I'm not switching between windows frantically, juggling things, with the occasional exception of doing something in the terminal that requires copying and pasting. The floating manager lets me work in a window and then hide it away until it's needed again.

The TWM philosophy seems to be "everything you're doing on screen at all times" and while I'm sure there are people who do that, it seems like 99% of the screenshot examples I see are all terminals and similar apps. It's not often you see someone demonstrating Awesome with, say, Firefox and AmaroK.
I see what you're saying, but I think you might misunderstand why I (and maybe others) use a tiling WM. There are a few common scenarios on my desktop:

1) Firefox on workspace alpha, fullscreen; consonance on workspace bravo, fullscreen
2) Sakura on workspace alpha, fullscreen; Firefox on workspace bravo, fullscreen; consonance on workspace charlie, fullscreen
3) Notecase and Firefox on workspace alpha, half-and-half so I can see both; consonance on workspace bravo
4) Notecase and Sakura on workspace alpha, half-and-half so I can see both; Firefox on workspace bravo; consonance on workspace charlie

Here's what I'm getting at: if I don't need to see a window, I put it on a different workspace. I have nine of them, and that's what they're for. If, however, I have multiple windows open on the same workspace, the only possible reason is that I want to see them all at once.

While I find tiling useful in many cases (see 3 & 4), my biggest reasons for using dwm are:

a) total keyboard control
b) no screen space wasted by window borders
c) it only does what I need - no unnecessary components (aka bloat)

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM
dwm, xmonad, wmii and awesome all have float modes. so, if you want to work that way, you can. the ability to tile is not a replacement option, it's another option (though it is the primary option). someguy, if you want to stick with a floating wm because you're more at home with it, you might want to check out using a combination of screen and dvtm when using terminal apps. that'll give you some tiling in an area you may be more likely to appreciate the possibility and may provide a less invasive introduction to that way of working.

brunovecchi
October 19th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I totally agree with the tiling window manager phylosophy, but I had to switch back to Gnome from awesome (which is the only twm that I tried) because I couldn't get Gnome Do to work with it.
Does any of the tiling window manager users work with Gnome Do?

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I totally agree with the tiling window manager phylosophy, but I had to switch back to Gnome from awesome (which is the only twm that I tried) because I couldn't get Gnome Do to work with it.
Does any of the tiling window manager users work with Gnome Do?
What do you use GNOME-Do for (I'm not familiar with the program)? dmenu handles launching apps nicely.

init1
October 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM
If by twm you mean tom's window manager (not tiling window manager), I admire your stamina. I've used twm for a while on NetBSD, but it got old and I installed dwm :)
Yeah, it's old but still useful. Probably the most customizable WM. I first used it in Fedora Core 1, since it was a lot faster than Gnome or KDE.

brunovecchi
October 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
What do you use GNOME-Do for (I'm not familiar with the program)? dmenu handles launching apps nicely.

Many things beyond launching applications. I wouldn't like to get into a discussion about that, I know many people don't see the point of using it. I'd just like to know if anyone with a tiling window manager has set up Gnome Do.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Many things beyond launching applications. I wouldn't like to get into a discussion about that, I know many people don't see the point of using it. I'd just like to know if anyone with a tiling window manager has set up Gnome Do.
Got it. I'd try it out on my dwm setup for you, but it requires ~50 MB (download) of uninstalled dependencies on my system, so I don't really want to.

SomeGuyDude
October 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM
dwm, xmonad, wmii and awesome all have float modes. so, if you want to work that way, you can. the ability to tile is not a replacement option, it's another option (though it is the primary option). someguy, if you want to stick with a floating wm because you're more at home with it, you might want to check out using a combination of screen and dvtm when using terminal apps. that'll give you some tiling in an area you may be more likely to appreciate the possibility and may provide a less invasive introduction to that way of working.

I'm glad my midterms are over, I can waste this week putzing around with these things. As is my normal way, I refuse to give up on something before I can say I've given it a full effort.

I'm thinking Xmonad currently. Awesome3 seems like it's a bit too advanced from what the Wiki showed. I'm not ready to basically hard code a config file yet.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I'm thinking Xmonad currently. Awesome3 seems like it's a bit too advanced from what the Wiki showed. I'm not ready to basically hard code a config file yet.
Xmonad is very good. It was inspired by dwm. The config files are pretty simple, and it's a good window manager.

I could never figure out Awesome. It just left me befuddled (as did wmii).

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Xmonad is very good. It was inspired by dwm. The config files are pretty simple, and it's a good window manager.

I could never figure out Awesome. It just left me befuddled (as did wmii).

xmonad is written in Haskell (incidently, so are those config files).

I never tried Awesome, but I will.

wmii is easy though, don't know where the confusion was.

However, I kept the defaults on wmii and xmonad anyway.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
wmii is easy though, don't know where the confusion was.

I didn't like the wmii defaults (like the window titles and the bar on the bottom), and the configuration confused me.

brunovecchi
October 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Got it. I'd try it out on my dwm setup for you, but it requires ~50 MB (download) of uninstalled dependencies on my system, so I don't really want to.

That's ok, thanks for trying though.

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM
i found the xmonad config file to be a giant pain in the beehind, at first. it's good, though. i just don't like the huge haskell installation that goes with it (200+mb's).

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM
i found the xmonad config file to be a giant pain in the beehind, at first. it's good, though. i just don't like the huge haskell installation that goes with it (200+mb's).
Compared to .awesomerc, there are few things I wouldn't like.

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Compared to .awesomerc, there are few things I wouldn't like.

.awesomerc wasn't bad for me, except i couldn't use nano to replace all the stupi...unwanted shortcuts. i don't get why awesome, by default, uses the windows key instead of alt, and why dwm and xmonad both use alt+shift+return for a terminal, reserving alt+return for zooming. i would think everyone would want the simplist shortcut for a new terminal.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 10:47 PM
i don't get why awesome, by default, uses the windows key instead of alt, and why dwm and xmonad both use alt+shift+return for a terminal, reserving alt+return for zooming. i would think everyone would want the simplist shortcut for a new terminal.
I've gotten used to A-S-Return, but it is a bit strange...

cknight
October 19th, 2008, 11:17 PM
OK, so I'm more than intrigued and would like to try one out. But where to start? Seems like most folk here have tried out one or two. Can anyone give/link-to a brief overview comparing what the differences/strengths are to wmii, xmonad, dwm and awesome?

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM
OK, so I'm more than intrigued and would like to try one out. But where to start? Seems like most folk here have tried out one or two. Can anyone give/link-to a brief overview comparing what the differences/strengths are to wmii, xmonad, dwm and awesome?
These are my experiences:

wmii (http://www.suckless.org/wmii/): Many people love it. I don't. The strange little window titles and a few other things got under my skin, and configuring it to remove them was irksome.

xmonad (http://xmonad.org/): A pretty good choice. It is much like dwm, but is written in Haskell and can be configured with Haskell in its config files. Because of this, you need a bunch of Haskell dependencies to use it properly.

dwm (http://www.suckless.org/wiki/dwm/): I'm biased - this is my favorite tiling WM. It is extremely small and simple. All configuration is done before compiling in the source code (don't worry; it's not hard, especially if you like the defaults ;)). It has few dependencies.

awesome (http://awesome.naquadah.org/): It's almost a hybrid WM, because it has pretty good support for both tiling and floating. Very popular. I found the config file disastrous.

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 11:34 PM

dwm is the simplest. it has the least code in it, so the theory is there's less that can go wrong with it. it was started by the wmii people as a simpler little brother. xmonad, awesome, echinus and even dvtm (i think) are all based on it. if you compile it yourself, you'll have the option to mess with how it's setup. i actually don't even install it. i just run it from my home directory. i have about four or five different setups that i switch between.

kk0sse54
October 20th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I've really enjoyed Awesome although I'll agree that the awesomrc was a bit overwhelming at first but it's not too bad after getting the hang of the basic structure (which will all go to waste when I switch to awesome3) but I just tried Xmonad and it's fantastic although talk about weird when first starting it, at least awesome wasn't just a black screen :). Next I want to try out dwm or wmii

chucky chuckaluck
October 20th, 2008, 05:07 AM
oops!

markp1989
October 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM
i tried xmodad, and a few other tiling wms, i fink i will just stick with dual head open box, and a maximized window on each screen

Daisuke_Aramaki
October 20th, 2008, 04:28 PM
have used most of 'em. but i am biased towards xmonad!

cknight
October 22nd, 2008, 11:22 PM
Ok, so I've taken the plunge and installed awesome. So far so good and I think I'll really like the tiling concept. However, I've encountered a rather difficult stumbling block to modifying the awesome configuration files. No man pages! I installed 3.0 from git and it seems I'm missing the man page as 'man awesomerc' has no entry (or any variant of awesome). Can anyone help figure out how to obtain one? In the meantime, the wiki is OK, but somewhat lacking in detail.

Yes
October 22nd, 2008, 11:52 PM
Ok, so I've taken the plunge and installed awesome. So far so good and I think I'll really like the tiling concept. However, I've encountered a rather difficult stumbling block to modifying the awesome configuration files. No man pages! I installed 3.0 from git and it seems I'm missing the man page as 'man awesomerc' has no entry (or any variant of awesome). Can anyone help figure out how to obtain one? In the meantime, the wiki is OK, but somewhat lacking in detail.

Check out the Wiki - http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

cardinals_fan
October 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
Check out the Wiki - http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
Hmm...

*emphasis mine*

zmjjmz
October 23rd, 2008, 03:09 AM
I'm trying out wmii on my sidux box, and I'm lovin' it!
I won't vote yet because I haven't tried xmonad, awesome, or dwm yet (the other tiling WM's I've installed).

SomeGuyDude
October 24th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Trying wmii myself (I figured out my "method), but I've got a few issues. If they can be resolved, I might stick here.

1) I need, y'know, an easy way to shut down, reboot, suspend, etc. Is the method for that just to open up a terminal?

2) Wicd. It opens in the tray by default but.... there's no tray. So I can't seem to grab it.

That's really my big 2 at the moment. Everything else is pretty gravy.

LaRoza
October 24th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Trying wmii myself (I figured out my "method), but I've got a few issues. If they can be resolved, I might stick here.

1) I need, y'know, an easy way to shut down, reboot, suspend, etc. Is the method for that just to open up a terminal?

2) Wicd. It opens in the tray by default but.... there's no tray. So I can't seem to grab it.

That's really my big 2 at the moment. Everything else is pretty gravy.

1. Ctrl + a (I think, read man page)

2. Check the app, there are often --no-tray switches. If not, you'll have to try something else

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless#Part_II:_Wireless_Management

SomeGuyDude
October 24th, 2008, 07:39 AM
All righty-roony, that's off to a good start. Think I'll stick with wmii for a day or three and see where I get.

Of course, I'm also planning on re-doing the machine with i686, but once it's all reinstalled, it's off to the races with wmii for a week. Thank ya!

zmjjmz
October 27th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I'm going to stick with xmonad.

kollektivist
December 2nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
wmii is really nice. With vimperator, irssi, mpd and more I don't need to use the mouse anymore.. :)