PDA

View Full Version : Gtk enable/disable widgets - little quirk

pcman312
July 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I have an application that has an "Export" functionality where it brings up a file dialog box to select the filename and location, etc etc. The details of what is being exported isn't important. What is important is that I have it set so most of the widgets in the window are disabled while exporting (with a little status message on the bottom of the window) and then reenabled when the export is complete. Right now, the functionality works perfectly, however sometimes the GUI doesn't seem to update and show the widgets as back to enabled until I perform certain types of user input (as far as I can tell, only using the scrolling window, the only other user input is 3 buttons and a small menu bar). It's a strange quirk that I haven't entirely figured out yet.

The export function is being run in a separate thread, and I am relatively new to GUI programming, specifically around multithreading in a GUI. However, I am well versed in programming overall, just not multithreading very much.

cdekter
July 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Not sure what language you're using, however this applies to C, C++ and Python:

Are you calling gdk_threads_init() before calling gtk_main()? This is absolutely essential for any gtk application where you are doing anything outside the main thread.

Additionally, in your background thread doing the export work, if you're making the call to re-enable the GUI components from this background thread, you'll need to use gdk_thread_enter() and gdk_threads_leave() for that section.

pcman312
July 15th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Yes, I do have the gtk_thread stuff in (and I'm writing this as a mix of C/C++). I have the init calls in my main:

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
g_thread_init(NULL);
gdk_threads_init();
gtk_init(&argc, &argv);

// Do other things, not related

setupGUI();

gtk_main();

return 0;
}

and I have two functions disableWindow() and enableWindow() which are:

Note: I am using glade, although I doubt that there is an issue here