PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Command-line Only Install?

Bradl3yJ
July 11th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I've downloaded the Ubuntu Alternate CD for Hardy 8.04.1 so I could install the Command-line only version to start from a clean slate. I did not see this option on the menu. I tried getting to the boot prompt and tried typing "cli" to launch the command line only installer, which gave me an error that it wasn't found. Has this feature been removed from Ubuntu?

damis648
July 11th, 2008, 06:23 PM
If you downloaded the alternate CD, the default option should be the non-gui one.

snowpine
July 11th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hi Bradley, I think you actually want the Minimal CD, not the Alternate CD.

Available here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

avtolle
July 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I'm understanding that you want to install a CLI only system, one without a GUI. I've not looked at the alternate CD in that light for a while, I know the minimal install iso cd allows such.

mali2297
July 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
At the installation menu, you can view other options by pressing an appropriate function key (I cannot remember which, but there is a help line at the bottom of the screen).

Then there will appear an option to install a command line system.

Bradl3yJ
July 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM
That looks like it will do the trick. From what I understand, CLI only install used to be an option on the alternate CD, it would be nice to have an option to do an offline CLI only install.

But this will work, thanks for the help.

mali2297
July 11th, 2008, 07:07 PM
That looks like it will do the trick. From what I understand, CLI only install used to be an option on the alternate CD, it would be nice to have an option to do an offline CLI only install.

The alternate install CD still has this option; it has just been hidden in the Other options menu.

Bradl3yJ
July 11th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I press F6 for other options, and it just brings up Boot Options field. Do i need to append cli to the end of that or what?

EDIT: I believe I have found it. Press F4 for "Modes" rather than F6 for "Other Options". Under modes there is a CLI only install options.

EDIT: CONFIRMED. F4 for "Modes", then the Command Line Only option is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

mali2297
July 11th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I press F6 for other options, and it just brings up Boot Options field. Do i need to append cli to the end of that or what?

EDIT: I believe I have found it. Press F4 for "Modes" rather than F6 for "Other Options". Under modes there is a CLI only install options.

EDIT: CONFIRMED. F4 for "Modes", then the Command Line Only option is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Thanks, I will try to remember that now.

J05HYYY
October 30th, 2010, 01:15 AM
that looks like it will do the trick. From what i understand, cli only install used to be an option on the alternate cd, it would be nice to have an option to do an offline cli only install.

+1

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26306/image/1/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26306/)