PDA

View Full Version : A friends "Customized XP Install"

OZFive
July 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
So I was talking to a friend last night about her computer and stuffs, she told me that her friend (Geek Squaddie and all around computer genius) had installed on her computer a custom XP install that was able to run XP, and Mac OSX programs all at the same time. I have never heard of such a thing and am pretty sure she has been a bit misinformed about this but I was wondering...

Is there such a Frankenstein of an OS out there?

MasterXandrex
July 11th, 2008, 02:35 PM
No, there is no such thing that I've heard of. However, if she has a Mac then she could use parrallels or the other emulater that Mac has to run native Windows programs -- they're actually pretty good from what I've heard.

Xan

Canis familiaris
July 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Only if she owns a Mac. But that would not exactly qualify as running XP programs and Mac programs at same time.

barbedsaber
July 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM
parallels

blazercist
July 11th, 2008, 02:53 PM
perhaps he installed a vm with the mac OS on it?

MasterXandrex
July 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
If she has I want to know how, I've been trying to get that to work for a while.

Xan

TBOL3
July 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Well, I suppose that if she is increadibly smart, and has a LOT of time, she could completely rebuild the structure of the OS to include mac libraries. But to get them to a point where they wouldn't be fighting with each other would be incredibly difficult. So, the only thing that I could imagine would be that she installed a virtual OS, which worked like VMware does now, that can run programs on the native desktop.

MasterXandrex
July 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Hey, speaking along these same lines, have any of you been able to get seamlessshellRDP to work properly in Hardy, I've not had luck.

Xan

joninkrakow
July 11th, 2008, 04:06 PM
One other option nobody's mentioned is that he installed the "Hackintosh" version of the MacOS (OSX86?) and then Parallels or some other VM to give her back her Windows apps. That would be really geeky, IMO. ;-)

-Jon

jrusso2
July 11th, 2008, 04:20 PM
One other option nobody's mentioned is that he installed the "Hackintosh" version of the MacOS (OSX86?) and then Parallels or some other VM to give her back her Windows apps. That would be really geeky, IMO. ;-)

-Jon

I have heard of this being done.

madjr
July 11th, 2008, 05:07 PM
she told me that her friend (Geek Squaddie and all around computer genius) had installed on her computer a custom XP install that was able to run XP, and Mac OSX programs all at the same time.

computer genius?

am sore most people here could whoop his ***

tell him to try being a lin-squaddie for a week.

OZFive
July 11th, 2008, 05:50 PM

-Jon
Not a Hackintosh, she says that she sends it in to Dell every year to get it upgraded to the latest and greatest stuff, (hard drives, CPU, graphics cards, etc...)

computer genius?

am sore most people here could whoop his ***

tell him to try being a lin-squaddie for a week.
Oy! Was not me saying it, I was quoting her!

damis648
July 11th, 2008, 05:54 PM
That can't be passible, assuming that Dell is managing a Windows installation. The only option would be if OSx86 was installed in a VM, then sure.

Crashmaxx
July 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I think she has no idea what she is talking about and is possibly making stuff up. People do it all the time when they are talking about stuff like computers.

damis648
July 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I think she has no idea what she is talking about and is possibly making stuff up. People do it all the time when they are talking about stuff like computers.

+1 you have no idea what is go through with my friends and how much stuff they make up. Not necesarily all my friends...

"What Windows version are you using?"
"Um... I don't know for sure... 2.8 I think..."

-.-

intense.ego
July 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Maybe he did something like this (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Unite-Windows-and-Linux-With-a-Single-Mouse-Click-78535.shtml) but with XP and a Hackintosh instead?

spupy
July 11th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Could it be, *gasp*, an OSX theme for Windows?

Bungo Pony
July 11th, 2008, 07:03 PM
She probably just has Quicktime and iTunes installed :rolleyes:

toupeiro
July 11th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Sounds like it could be VMWare Fusion or VMWare ThinApp, or Parallels

zachtib
July 11th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Sounds like it could be VMWare Fusion or VMWare ThinApp, or Parallels

Workstation 6.5 can do it as well:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=33391389&l=a80ac&id=38307485

Ubuntu 8.04 + Windows XP SP3

toupeiro
July 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Thats awesome. I've been on 6.0 at work for a while now. Time to upgrade!

Canis familiaris
July 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM

My screenshot is even better. I use Virtualbox BTW.

http://amitech.50webs.com/ultimate.html

madjr
July 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
She probably just has Quicktime and iTunes installed :rolleyes:

LOL

and safari

oh and a dock thingie :)

maybe even leopard wallpaper

cardinals_fan
July 11th, 2008, 08:18 PM
So I was talking to a friend last night about her computer and stuffs, she told me that her friend (Geek Squaddie and all around computer genius) had installed on her computer a custom XP install that was able to run XP, and Mac OSX programs all at the same time. I have never heard of such a thing and am pretty sure she has been a bit misinformed about this but I was wondering...

Is there such a Frankenstein of an OS out there?
Probably just a VM. But it's nice to hear that some Geek Squad employees aren't total morons... because every one of them I've met is an idiot.

zmjjmz
July 11th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Probably just a VM. But it's nice to hear that some Geek Squad employees aren't total morons... because every one of them I've met is an idiot.

Actually, Best Buy takes aspiring Geeks wishing to identify themselves and crushes their hopes and dreams by making them look like idiots.

I've heard of Geek Squad people using a Knoppix LiveCD to fix stuff, and then heard that Best Buy forbade it.

damis648
July 11th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Actually, Best Buy takes aspiring Geeks wishing to identify themselves and crushes their hopes and dreams by making them look like idiots.

I've heard of Geek Squad people using a Knoppix LiveCD to fix stuff, and then heard that Best Buy forbade it.

If we are paying them to fix it, shouldn't they be able to fix it any way they want?

zmjjmz
July 12th, 2008, 12:15 AM
If we are paying them to fix it, shouldn't they be able to fix it any way they want?

Best Buy never made sense to me either.

madjr
July 12th, 2008, 12:17 AM

everyone knows u need linux to fix windows.

zmjjmz
July 12th, 2008, 12:18 AM
everyone knows u need linux to fix windows.

No, anything that can be run as a LiveCD and write NTFS should do.
Their are questionably legal versions of Windows to do this.

TrikeKid
July 12th, 2008, 12:26 AM
But Best Buy is paying them, and if best buy wants it done their way, they want it done their way. I mean, do you argue with your boss?

tille
July 12th, 2008, 12:29 AM
What did they use to build windows if not a Unix system?

zmjjmz
July 12th, 2008, 12:54 AM
What did they use to build windows if not a Unix system?

MS-DOS, made from QDOS, written from some BASIC interpreter I bet.

Xanatos Craven
July 12th, 2008, 01:07 AM
My screenshot is even better. I use Virtualbox BTW.

http://amitech.50webs.com/ultimate.html
I'm not saying it's fair to compare a beta application to a stable one or anything of the sort, but VMware 6.5's seamless windows actually show up in your taskbar separately, can be individually managed by by whatever WM you're using, etc. VirtualBox hasn't come that far yet. So, IMO the first screenshot is more impressive. Also a VBox user... but gotta give credit where it's due. :P

Ioky
July 12th, 2008, 06:21 AM
haha I know that might seem a bit stupid, but it is the first thing come to my head. is that her friend installed a Hackintosh with a custom theme to make it looks like XP, with parallel. This way the system will looks like xp running OS software and windows software.

Canis familiaris
July 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I'm not saying it's fair to compare a beta application to a stable one or anything of the sort, but VMware 6.5's seamless windows actually show up in your taskbar separately, can be individually managed by by whatever WM you're using, etc. VirtualBox hasn't come that far yet. So, IMO the first screenshot is more impressive. Also a VBox user... but gotta give credit where it's due. :P

VMWare seamless is better but in my screenshot I'm only using WinXP in fullscreen in Workspace 2 with Compiz enabled.
IMO it usefully seperates out Windows and Ubuntu and also seems much more real to me.
Though I have to admit the VMWare seamless seems awesome. I'll give it a try.