PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Still major problems in Hardy

wpshooter
July 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I think there are still too many major problems in Hardy to use it. And this is even at the 8.04.1 revision.

I tried to get a computer I am setting up to work on a dialup account on Hardy and the system would connect using gnome-ppp on the very initial/first try and I could surf the net just fine.

But all subsequent attempt to connect and surf the net were met with the "Firefox running in offline mode" message. According to what I can see, I think the computer is connecting to the ISP just fine but something in Hardy, perhaps a flaw in Firefox, is preventing the use of the internet.

However, strangely enough, I can put the ("older" & I would think not as improved) Gutsy version of Ubuntu on the machine and the computer dials up to the ISP and I can surf the net EVERY time without fail.

Somebody really needs to fix this sort of thing FAST. I really believe that stuff like this is an embarrassment to Ubuntu (I know that stuff like this keeps me from recommending Ubuntu more than I do).

And I am not looking for some juryrig workaround fix for this. I want an O/S that I can use. I don't want to be in the business of spending all of my time fixing it.

And yes, I have reported this as a bug.

Thanks.

tuxxy
July 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I don't want to be in the business of spending all of my time fixing it.

Wouldn't you be in this business of spending your time waiting if your on dialup anyway?

wpshooter
July 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Wouldn't you be in this business of spending your time waiting if your on dialup anyway?

No, I would not, because first of all this machine is for someone else's use and unfortunately the only access they have is dialup, so yes, I suppose they will have to be doing some waiting but all of that does nothing to resolve this/these issues.

Thanks.

stchman
July 11th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I think there are still too many major problems in Hardy to use it. And this is even at the 8.04.1 revision.

I tried to get a computer I am setting up to work on a dialup account on Hardy and the system would connect using gnome-ppp on the very initial/first try and I could surf the net just fine.

But all subsequent attempt to connect and surf the net were met with the "Firefox running in offline mode" message. According to what I can see, I think the computer is connecting to the ISP just fine but something in Hardy, perhaps a flaw in Firefox, is preventing the use of the internet.

However, strangely enough, I can put the ("older" & I would think not as improved) Gutsy version of Ubuntu on the machine and the computer dials up to the ISP and I can surf the net EVERY time without fail.

Somebody really needs to fix this sort of thing FAST. I really believe that stuff like this is an embarrassment to Ubuntu (I know that stuff like this keeps me from recommending Ubuntu more than I do).

And I am not looking for some juryrig workaround fix for this. I want an O/S that I can use. I don't want to be in the business of spending all of my time fixing it.

And yes, I have reported this as a bug.

Thanks.

My recommendation is to use Gutsy if it does what you want to.

The only thing I can think of is that in the new distro they did not spend much time on the dialup portion as an overwhelming majority are on high speed.

What kind of a modem does this PC have? If it is a winmodem it is possible the new kernel does not have the proper drivers. Winmodems are very hit or miss in Linux. If you must dialup then get a true hardware modem. Modems that hook up to a serial port are hardware modems.

Gorlith
July 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
There was a thread somewhere about firefox going into offline mode for people, i think they had a fix.

Vorian Grey
July 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM

It's probably the network manager. I had problems with Firefox starting in offline mode using dialup, so I went to Admim > Network and configured the network even though I do not have a network and since then FF has worked fine. Does your network manager in the system track hace a red X on it?

wpshooter
July 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
My recommendation is to use Gutsy if it does what you want to.

The only thing I can think of is that in the new distro they did not spend much time on the dialup portion as an overwhelming majority are on high speed.

What kind of a modem does this PC have? If it is a winmodem it is possible the new kernel does not have the proper drivers. Winmodems are very hit or miss in Linux. If you must dialup then get a true hardware modem. Modems that hook up to a serial port are hardware modems.

It IS an external serial port modem.

Thanks.

wpshooter
July 11th, 2008, 06:09 PM
There was a thread somewhere about firefox going into offline mode for people, i think they had a fix.

Yes, I believe that I found and read that already.

But that is just some type of juryrig workaround, I don't think it should be referred to as a fix.

Thanks.

wpshooter
July 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
It's probably the network manager. I had problems with Firefox starting in offline mode using dialup, so I went to Admim > Network and configured the network even though I do not have a network and since then FF has worked fine. Does your network manager in the system track hace a red X on it?

Yes, it does have a red X on it but I believe that is because I have my ethernet wire disconnected from the DSL connection that I used to install the O/S and updates on the computer. And it is disconnected because this computer is ultimately NOT going to be used on DSL but on a strictly dialup connection basis. If I shutdown and unplug the dialup connection and go back to the ethernet/DSL, everything works fine but this does NOTHING to fix the problem with the dialup and Firefox browser not working.

And like I said, I have none of these problems if I have Gutsy installed instead of Hardy. But I would prefer to have this work properly under Hardy, so the person that is going to wind up with this computer will have the advantages of the LTS version.

Thanks.

Vorian Grey
July 11th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Yes, it does have a red X on it but I believe that is because I have my ethernet wire disconnected from the DSL connection that I used to install the O/S and updates on the computer. And it is disconnected because this computer is ultimately NOT going to be used on DSL but on a strictly dialup connection basis. If I shutdown and unplug the dialup connection and go back to the ethernet/DSL, everything works fine but this does NOTHING to fix the problem with the dialup and Firefox browser not working.

I have my network disconnected and I only use dialup. I fixed the issue by going into the network settings and choosing automatic conection (DHCP) even though I am not on a network. This allows the network to run in the background and allows FF to run in online mode even though I am not on a network.

If you want a solution that helps FF run online without configuring the network I can't help you. I did read somewhere that you could uninstall the network manager and FF would work properly. Please research that before you do anything, because I am not positive about that.