PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] The song remains the same

Alex N
July 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I tried to install and use Ubuntu more than a year ago - at version 6. Now there is 8.04. What changed ?
I had no luck with ubuntu, so I tried xubuntu instead.

First of all, the problem with incorrect GRUB installation is still there - nothing changed. It is not fatal, but very annoying and in case you're using Windos as a first OS, it can destroy your data. Reading this forum, I see that it is the most common bug.

But the configuration step made me laugh. After the installation the screen resolution was 800x600. FYI, there is no LCD monitors that support this resolution. Then I installed NVIDIA drivers and screen resolution changed.... to 640x480. Brilliant.
The most interesting feature of this distribution is that the button that should configure the screen resolution is located at the lowermost row and is invisible at this resolution.
That's what I call usability. OK, I know that the button IS there, and I could press it. It offered a choice of two screen resolutions: Default and 320x200.

Well, I know how to solve these problems, but I'd better wait until you, people, will learn how to write programs.

I think that with UI and usability features like these, Microsoft can feel itself quite comfortable, even with such an unpopular OS like Vista.

Forgive me my sarcasm, but it is really funny.
:lolflag:

SkonesMickLoud
July 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I tried to install and use Ubuntu more than a year ago - at version 6. Now there is 8.04. What changed ?
I had no luck with ubuntu, so I tried xubuntu instead.

Xubuntu IS Ubuntu with a different default WM. XFCE v. GNOME.

First of all, the problem with incorrect GRUB installation is still there - nothing changed. It is not fatal, but very annoying and in case you're using Windos as a first OS, it can destroy your data. Reading this forum, I see that it is the most common bug.

GRUB is quite simple to fix, that's if it breaks, and it doesn't touch your data. It MAY render your OS unbootable until it's fixed, but it hardly destroys data.

But the configuration step made me laugh. After the installation the screen resolution was 800x600. FYI, there is no LCD monitors that support this resolution. Then I installed NVIDIA drivers and screen resolution changed.... to 640x480. Brilliant.
The most interesting feature of this distribution is that the button that should configure the screen resolution is located at the lowermost row and is invisible at this resolution.
That's what I call usability. OK, I know that the button IS there, and I could press it. It offered a choice of two screen resolutions: Default and 320x200.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/

Submit a bug.

Well, I know how to solve these problems, but I'd better wait until you, people, will learn how to write programs.

If you can do better, why not help out? I know Canonical, and we here at the forums, are always looking for volunteers.

I think that with UI and usability features like these, Microsoft can feel itself quite comfortable, even with such an unpopular OS like Vista

Some folks will always eat what they're fed. Microsoft depends on it.

Alex N
July 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
GRUB is quite simple to fix, that's if it breaks, and it doesn't touch your data. It MAY render your OS unbootable until it's fixed, but it hardly destroys data.

This is correct, but for (too) many people unbootable OS == destroyed data. You may like it or not, you may call them lamers, but this won't help. 90% of Windows users just do not know what fixmbr is.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/
Submit a bug.

It is not a bug. It is usability issue. In fact, the whole UNIX world is one big usability issue. Mac was much better some time ago.

If you can do better, why not help out? I know Canonical, and we here at the forums, are always looking for volunteers.

Sure I can. There is high probability that I have more software experience than most people here (24 years in my case). But if the same problem remains from release to release, there is no point to repeat the same thing again and again.

In fact I can easily make a list of hundreds of issues with Ubuntu and Linux in general (I do not mean server of course).
But I know that this already has ben done - just look at this forum.

Some folks will always eat what they're fed. Microsoft depends on it.

That's true, and I'd even say that MOST people eat what they're fed. This means that proper alternative would be desired. Recent statistics shows that many people switched from Windows to Mac OS, and this is really good.

jerome1232
July 11th, 2008, 05:15 PM
That sounds alot like my last experience installing windows xp lol. Installed updated to sp3, installed Nvidia drivers and bam 640x480 8 bit colors nothing else. Oh well I liked xp in a VM better anyways. So I replaced xp with openSUSE and it works as good as Ubuntu does on my machine. /cheer. Not to mention it (OpenSUSE) didn't overwrite my mbr and make ALL other os's unbootable like xp did.

Alex N
July 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM
That sounds alot like my last experience installing windows xp lol.

Exactly. There are always problems with hardware, and most likely they will remain forever. Please note that I do not blame XUbuntu developers for wrong resolution, it is not their problem.
It is good that you mentioned OpenSUSE. It installs GRUB on the hdb properly. It means that the problem itself HAS a solution. But for some strange reason Ubuntu developers do not care to solve it.