PDA

View Full Version : Make Vista (yes, vista) look like Ubuntu (seriously...).

madjr
July 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM
An Ubuntu theme for Vista ??!! Huh $%#¿@

Ok, your friend or family member decided to give ubuntu a try. But will still be booting up to Vista most of the time and slowly get used to it.

you installed a ton of FOSS apps, so he becomes familiar.

But there seems to be a big problem: The interface

As Vista's marketshare increases (it's pre-installed even on toasters ovens) it's interface will be everywhere.

so here are a couple of themes to ease up the transition (they look cool IMHO):

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs25/300W/i/2008/035/2/0/VUbuntu_for_Vista_Basic_beta_1_by_in_dolly.jpg

http://in-dolly.deviantart.com/art/VUbuntu-for-Vista-Basic-beta-1-76464398

http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs28/300W/i/2008/049/b/1/VUbuntu_for_Vista_beta_2_by_in_dolly.png

http://in-dolly.deviantart.com/art/VUbuntu-for-Vista-beta-2-77716923

:o

http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs16/300W/i/2007/135/e/a/Vibuntu_v_0_1_by_AMGDesign.jpg

http://amgdesign.deviantart.com/art/Vibuntu-v-0-1-55389489

ps. i would love the ibex theme to look similar to the last one :)

zxscooby
July 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Does it change the bsod to a more earthy brown tone?
:lolflag:

len1x
July 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM
As if anyone here doesn't use Ubuntu :P

loell
July 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Does it change the bsod to a more earthy brown tone?

it doesn't, it will just be black in ascii mode saying

kernel panic.

mrgnash
July 11th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I did the same thing to XP. If you're forced to use an inferior operating system for some reason, at least you can fantasize about using Ubuntu :P

Shippou
July 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I do think the following suggestions will suffice:

1. Try a liveCD.
2. Choose a Linux distro that is designed for Windows users switching to Linux (Linux XP, Vixta, Freespire, Lindspire, Mint, Ark, Puppy Linux, Knoppix, etc.)
3. Gradually move to the next stage by choosing distros for "intermediate" users (Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuSe, Gentoo, Slackware, etc).
4. If you really want to be an expert (as in you do not care if your computer crashes because of editing the ssh files of your distro, or you want to compile your own kernel, or make a brand-new distro), choose a more complicated distro (MuLinux, RedHat, etc), or make your own distro (just don't forget to share it. :))

I do think that what the thread started said about making Vista look like Linux just to enable users feel how is it to be Linux is incomplete because it is still a Windows environment. It is just like you want to drink coffee by putting some coffee into a softdrink (sorry for the analogy.).

Well, I do suggest you dual-boot.

fatality_uk
July 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM

There's a lot of people! Debian, arch, slackware and many other distros are used but people enjoy this forum and the community surrounding it.

As for the screens, YUK!!!

ChameleonDave
July 11th, 2008, 10:49 AM
If you want to make Windows more Linuxy, just install KDE 4 when it is cross-platform (later this year).

karellen
July 11th, 2008, 11:30 AM

many people here dual-boot (I use Mandriva for example)

hessiess
July 11th, 2008, 12:00 PM
If you want to make Windows more Linuxy, just install KDE 4 when it is cross-platform (later this year).

I fail to see how you could change the GUI on a OS on which the GUI is 'wedged into' the Kernel

ChameleonDave
July 11th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I fail to see how you could change the GUI on a OS on which the GUI is 'wedged into' the Kernel

There are all sorts of things you can do without changing the kernel. Already, my XP installation doesn't really look like XP because of the theme I have installed. You can also change the size of the task bar to make it like the default KDE one.

The KDE people claim that KDE will be cross-platform. They have already ported a lot of apps to Windows. I don't know how far they intend to go with this concept.

MadsRH
July 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM
How about this one:
http://vista-themes.net/clearlooks-visual-style.html

bruce89
July 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
How about this one:

That's a GNOME theme, no matter what they say it is.

GeneralZod
July 11th, 2008, 04:45 PM
The KDE people claim that KDE will be cross-platform. They have already ported a lot of apps to Windows. I don't know how far they intend to go with this concept.

There are no plans that I'm aware of to port the KDE4 desktop shell to Windows as it is quite heavily tied to X.

Edit:

Although I guess it's possible that a third-party will make it run on Windows using a Windows port of X.

VitaLiNux
July 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
There are no plans that I'm aware of to port the KDE4 desktop shell to Windows.
Porting KDE to Windows would be an awful disgrace[-(

madjr
July 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
How about this one:

That's an XP theme

bruce89
July 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM
There are no plans that I'm aware of to port the KDE4 desktop shell to Windows as it is quite heavily tied to X.

Forgive me for being stupid, but I thought that one of the many points of KDE4 was to be able to have a Windows port.

GeneralZod
July 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Forgive me for being stupid, but I thought that one of the many points of KDE4 was to be able to have a Windows port.

Apps and libraries only. The KDE guys are generally quite poor at explaining themselves and tend to assume that everybody knows what they know :/

klange
July 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM
That's an XP theme

Meh, Clearlooks Gummy by WinGnomeXP is significantly better, even if it's not true to Clearlooks (it's actually Glossy I think... Meh, it's one of those Clearlooks-like ones...). I use it on all of my Windows machines.

MaxIBoy
July 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM
It is just like you want to drink coffee by putting some coffee into a softdrink (sorry for the analogy.).

Well, I do suggest you dual-boot. Actually, Pepsi with a drop of coffee in it is really good (discovered after reusing a cup.)

Anyway, I would much prefer to use a Linux distro that looks exactly like Windows, than a modded Windows that looks exactly like Linux. It's under the hood.

aaaantoine
July 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Points awarded for absurdity.

Shippou
July 11th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Actually, Pepsi with a drop of coffee in it is really good (discovered after reusing a cup.)

Anyway, I would much prefer to use a Linux distro that looks exactly like Windows, than a modded Windows that looks exactly like Linux. It's under the hood.

:lol:

I was kinda "shocked" when I read this. Maybe this is a reason why our softdrinks have caffeine. :lol:

Well, I agree with you. I will prefer to tweak Linux myself (even if ending with a series of reformats) just to become familiar with it than making Windows (which is slow from the start) look like Linux by installing skins (which will make it slower).

It seems that Linux is slowly conquering the desktop! (I was over-exaggerating... :lol:)

MaxIBoy
July 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Points awarded for absurdity.

Believe me, I'm dead serious.

doorknob60
July 11th, 2008, 07:07 PM
3. Gradually move to the next stage by choosing distros for "intermediate" users (Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuSe, Gentoo, Slackware, etc).

How can you compare Gentoo to Ubuntu :lolflag: Have you read the Gentoo manual to actually see what you have to do to set it up? You have to set up the kernel, partitons, GRUB, etc. all yourself, no nice GUI to do it for you like Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse, and even Debian. I would consider Debian an "intermediate" distro, and Ubuntu a "beginner" one (doesn't mean it's not good though).

MaxIBoy
July 11th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Ubuntu is definitely a beginner distro. And how can you call Gentoo an "intermediate" distro and RedHat a "difficult" distro? Does not compute.

madjr
July 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM

this is for begginers

and also that would only promote/advertise windows even more or make linux look like a cheap windows clone.

the gnome/ubuntu combo is the main face of linux and most people are not familiar with it.

even if my face is brown and ugly it's mine. TM

i want people to be familiar with my face.

MaxIBoy
July 11th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I agree that Linux shouldn't be considered an "imitation" of Windows; I'm just saying I'd be willing to put up with Explorer (Windows' GUI,) if it meant I'd get the improved performance, stability, and security of Linux. The GUI is a secondary concern.

That being said, I do prefer GNOME and XFCE to KDE or Explorer.

klange
July 11th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Well, I agree with you. I will prefer to tweak Linux myself (even if ending with a series of reformats) just to become familiar with it than making Windows (which is slow from the start) look like Linux by installing skins (which will make it slower).
That's actually not true - unless you use really shoddy msstyles, using Visual Styles will not slow your machine down. Hacked themes are just as fast as Luna (and don't get me started on how "Classic" is actually slower, that's a horrible topic).

You'd be amazed what a good GTK-theme-clone, cygwin, and your favorite cross-platform / ported apps can do. It makes me feel at home in Windows. (Currently installing a ****load of GTK/GNOME-related items in cygwin, as well as Nano, which I was shocked to discover I hadn't installed on this machine, only my work laptop...)

|{urse
July 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Ubuntu is definitely a beginner distro. And how can you call Gentoo an "intermediate" distro and RedHat a "difficult" distro? Does not compute.

+1 to this guy

My personal take on order of diffculty (easiest to hardest of the 3 distros)

1.) Ubuntu (you shouldn't even be attempting to operate a calculator if you can't figure it out)

2.) Fedora (a little more googling and you may just learn all the basic dependencies by heart, until you learn yum provides and yum what provides)

3.) Gentoo (Okay, it's just gentoo, you know linux now but don't get cocky or the linux from scratch and slackware nerds will beat you up!)

:lolflag:

madjr
July 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM
:lol:

I was kinda "shocked" when I read this. Maybe this is a reason why our softdrinks have caffeine. :lol:

It seems that Linux is slowly conquering the desktop! (I was over-exaggerating... :lol:)

speed is same or even faster