PDA

View Full Version : come on, I hope this is a joke...

karellen
July 11th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I don't want to imply anything, see for yourselves
http://www.koffice.org/kword/euro.php
and all that just for the euro sign :confused:
call me "old-fashioned" but I find it inexcusable that there isn't a graphical way of doing this (it's an office suite after all, not vim)
p.s. and I have nothing against the command line, I just think this is ridiculous for wannabe GUI word processor (why not insert->symbol->€ ?!)

Polygon
July 11th, 2008, 08:58 AM
i think there is a character map applet for gnome...and it took me 5 seconds to find the euro using applications>accessories>character map > search > euro

wheeeeeee

(although this is in gnome, there must be a kde way of doing it)

karellen
July 11th, 2008, 09:03 AM
i think there is a character map applet for gnome...and it took me 5 seconds to find the euro using applications>accessories>character map > search > euro

wheeeeeee

(although this is in gnome, there must be a kde way of doing it)

I agree; but I simply can't understand how on earth an office suite like KOffice doesn't have this basic feature

Kvark
July 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
(why not insert->symbol->€ ?!)
It would be cumbersome to have to type Alt+I S E or whatever the menu shortcut would be or reach for the mouse every time one wants to type a common sign.

At least for me AltGr+E types € in all applications by default just as the € printed in the lower right corner of the E key on all keyboards around here indicates it should. That makes it just as easy to type € as to type E.

€ should be included in the default keyboard layout even in regions where it's not actually printed on keyboards so you don't need a separate workaround in each application.

zxscooby
July 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Just use 3 dollar signs $$$ that would be about the equivalent. lol

(more accurately 1.5 dollar signs $s)

fatality_uk
July 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Just use 3 dollar signs $$$ that would be about the equivalent.

:lol: - I like that, cheers made me chuckle ;)

karellen
July 11th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Just use 3 dollar signs $$$ that would be about the equivalent. lol

:lolflag: I never thought of that :D

karellen
July 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
It would be cumbersome to have to type Alt+I S E or whatever the menu shortcut would be or reach for the mouse every time one wants to type a common sign.

At least for me AltGr+E types € in all applications by default just as the € printed in the lower right corner of the E key on all keyboards around here indicates it should. That makes it just as easy to type € as to type E.

€ should be included in the default keyboard layout even in regions where it's not actually printed on keyboards so you don't need a separate workaround in each application.

it's not about the actual keyboard shortcut, I'm complaining about the steps that should be followed (cli for something as basic as a symbol, I don't buy it)

mostwanted
July 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I just type Alt Gr + e.

Kvark
July 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
it's not about the actual keyboard shortcut, I'm complaining about the steps that should be followed (cli for something as basic as a symbol, I don't buy it)
I'm saying the steps to follow should be "1. press AltGr+E 2. done" (or another keyboard shortcut). You shouldn't have to do anything else, no CLI stuff and no GUI stuff either.

LaRoza
July 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM
call me "old-fashioned" but I find it inexcusable that there isn't a graphical way of doing this (it's an office suite after all, not vim)
p.s. and I have nothing against the command line, I just think this is ridiculous for wannabe GUI word processor (why not insert->symbol->€ ?!)

I think those instructions aren't making assumptions, and that is the process for what it is describing In fact the information provided here isn't specific to KWord, the same applies to any X application.

I am sure KOffice has some in-built feature for this (no, I am not going to install it to find out)

It is hard to type half a $, so you'd have to use $$$ for 2 euros. So for 30 euros, you have $$$15.

popch
July 11th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Using special characters for currency symbols is so retro. Also, the dollar sign does not even uniquely denote a particular currency at all but can be used for any currency which calls its units 'dollar'. Why not just use EUR, USD, GBP and so forth? Plus the famous ANY, of course.

LaRoza
July 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Using special characters for currency symbols is so retro.

I agree. It isn't that useful anymore.

Also, the dollar sign does not even uniquely denote a particular currency at all but can be used for any currency which calls its units 'dollar'. Why not just use EUR, USD, GBP and so forth? Plus the famous ANY, of course.
That can be confusing. On some products it has $3.0 USA, $3.50 Canada. The $ is totally useless. Maybe soon we won't be using such symbols and will stick to more meaningful symbols.

jomiolto
July 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Well, there is Insert->Special Character in KWord, but you need to find the Euro symbol in the huge list of characters if you do it that way (it's the same in OpenOffice.org).

And when it comes to key bindings, it really isn't KWord's task to interpret them, anyway -- as is clearly said in the document itself: "In fact the information provided here isn't specific to KWord, the same applies to any X application." It's the task of X Window System to handle the keyboard mappings, and I've personally never encountered a Linux distribution that didn't have AltGr+e mapped to to the Euro sign by default (although that probably depends on the keyboard layout used).

Finally, I'm not sure if there is a graphical application to alter the keyboard mappings, but at least some of the features can be changed in Gnome and KDE (and possibly other DEs/window managers) through GUI. Yes, an actual GUI for editing the maps would be nice, but how many people actually change the keyboard mappings themselves? During years of Linux usage the only reason I've had to do that was because some distros have AltGr+space mapped to a non-breaking space, instead of a regular space, and I often typo that, causing problems on applications that don't recognize it as a space...

HTH.

red_Marvin
July 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM
The '$' is a suffix denoting that a function returns a string nothing more nothing less. What is all this currency talk?

bruce89
July 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
/me likes the British keyboard and its Alt Gr + 4 combination giving €.

I agree. It isn't that useful anymore.

That can be confusing. On some products it has $3.0 USA, $3.50 Canada. The $ is totally useless. Maybe soon we won't be using such symbols and will stick to more meaningful symbols.

Those of us that don't use the $ symbol find the symbols quite useful.

LaRoza
July 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM
The '$' is a suffix denoting that a function returns a string nothing more nothing less. What is all this currency talk?

No, it shows a variable name.

/me likes the British keyboard and its Alt Gr + 4 combination giving €.
Are British keyboard immune to tea spills?

Those of us that don't use the $ symbol find the symbols quite useful.

I mean instead of symbols for currency, use something more explicit. $20 is an unknown value and you have to assume what it is. 30 RS isn't vague and uses characters on most keboards.

bruce89
July 11th, 2008, 05:32 PM
British keyboard immune to tea spills?

I've never tried it out, nor do I want to.

I now wonder if mine is immune to whisky.