PDA

View Full Version : We can still install and upgrade hoary, right?

magomago
November 3rd, 2005, 09:04 AM
Just wondering...I plan on doing that. I'm faced with a huge problem where I can get my brother modem (536ep) to work under ubuntu breezy 5.10 at all, so I figured just do it with hoary since it is atleast confirmed there.

But we can do this, right?

poofyhairguy
November 3rd, 2005, 09:13 AM
Just wondering...I plan on doing that. I'm faced with a huge problem where I can get my brother modem (536ep) to work under ubuntu breezy 5.10 at all, so I figured just do it with hoary since it is atleast confirmed there.

But we can do this, right?

Hoary is still supported with security updates.

topcop
November 3rd, 2005, 11:21 AM
Yes, thats what i am doing
breezy's gnome is dog slow! 2 seconds to show desktop icons after minimizing a window?
thats with nv driver
and with nvidia its a bit better but very sluggish moving windows around etc -> it improves with no wallpaper set but still hoary with just nv driver is 10x as fast on my system.

I don't have crap hardware - GF4 Ti 4400 128MB, P4 2.8G, 1GB RAM :rolleyes:
Hoary runs like a dream and so does kubuntu breezy.

My other machine still has warty, im waiting for dapper to put on that when it comes out next yr :razz:

poofyhairguy
November 3rd, 2005, 11:27 AM
Yes, thats what i am doing
breezy's gnome is dog slow! 2 seconds to show desktop icons after minimizing a window?
thats with nv driver
and with nvidia its a bit better but very sluggish moving windows around etc -> it improves with no wallpaper set but still hoary with just nv driver is 10x as fast on my system.

I don't have crap hardware - GF4 Ti 4400 128MB, P4 2.8G, 1GB RAM :rolleyes:
Hoary runs like a dream and so does kubuntu breezy.

My other machine still has warty, im waiting for dapper to put on that when it comes out next yr :razz:

Sounds like you need render accel.

topcop
November 3rd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Sounds like you need render accel.
I have tired that didnt make much difference if any