PDA

View Full Version : Are Compaq Presarios advisable?

wersdaluv
July 11th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I'm looking at HP Compaq Presarios, specifically the B1200 line because they have 12.1" screens.

I was thinking of a 12" Acer Aspire or TravelMate before. Would a Presario be better?

I want an easy to carry full-blown laptop that costs $800 or less (that work well will Ubuntu, of course).

p_quarles
July 11th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Well, my Presario works great (V6000t), but I don't think I would draw any conclusions about the entire line from one instance. But, as I say, I haven't had any problems with mine, and all the hardware features work.

wersdaluv
July 11th, 2008, 04:31 AM
After googling, I found this https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/37419 . Maybe, just maybe, an Acer is better. Hmmm

p_quarles
July 11th, 2008, 04:48 AM
After googling, I found this https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/37419 . Maybe, just maybe, an Acer is better. Hmmm
That problem is due to the Broadcom wireless card. You can easily get your laptop custom built, and select the Intel wireless option. This goes for any make: avoid Broadcom at all cost, and get an Intel if you can.

init1
July 11th, 2008, 05:41 AM
That problem is due to the Broadcom wireless card. You can easily get your laptop custom built, and select the Intel wireless option. This goes for any make: avoid Broadcom at all cost, and get an Intel if you can.
Agreed. I've got a Compaq Presario C300 and the Broadcom card is very annoying. Only the newest firmware works for it.
As far as everything else goes, Gutsy and Hardy work poorly for me. Debian Etch is fine, except for wireless. Doesn't matter too much because I can usually just use an ethernet connection.

Midwest-Linux
July 11th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I have the Compaq Presario 1200. Bought it around 2001 at Sams Club. A year and after buying it the sound died. It came with Windows ME.

Three years ago the screen started dying on it with only half the screen visible. Now the screen is dark and refuses to work.

(I looked into replacing the screen, but used on E-bay with shipping is $50 and up to over $100. You can still use it with a monitor connected to it ..tho it defeats the purpose)

Maybe I had a bad unit...

Best Buy and Staples had the Compaq 762NR laptop on sale this week $399 (sold out now) and it is a good candidate for Hardy. I bought one in May when Staples had them on sale the first time for $399. Its Dual core, Atheros 5007 wifi and 160 gig HD, and 1 GB Ram.

wolfen69
July 11th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I want an easy to carry full-blown laptop that costs $800 or less (that work well will Ubuntu, of course).

why not buy a laptop with linux pre-installed?

SunnyRabbiera
July 11th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Well Compaq is now owned by HP so its probably a lot better then it was, they used to be notorious for computers that were impossible to upgrade.

Midwest-Linux
July 11th, 2008, 05:57 AM
why not buy a laptop with linux pre-installed?

This is a great question, take a look at the System 76 prices for laptops with Ubuntu. Then take a look at some Vista laptop selling for $399 or $499 that others have wiped Vista off and put Ubuntu on it with wireless and all the goodies.

Chances are you can save yourself $200 to $400 by going that route. A good place to see what others are using for Ubuntu laptops and how well wireless works is at the "Network and Wireless" forums here on the Ubuntu Forums.

I am 100% for what System 76 is doing, but when it comes down to economics the choice gets a bit more narrow.

dracule
July 11th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I got a Presario V3000

I dont like it really.
The mobo went to crap TWICE. it overheats in Vista (lol but not in linux). It doesnt get too hot in linux, but it does get warm. however not as nearly as hot as in Vista.

i know 2 other people with the same exact laptop as me, they both had to replace their mobo.

but then 2 people i know have the same exact HP version, nothing the matter (but it still over heats sometimes).

I think that HP skimps out in quality in the Compaq line. but that is just me.

Pinoy915
July 11th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I have a Compaq C751NR laptop and it works great. Only drawback I had was using ndiswrapper for my Atheros based wifi. Madwifi patch worked but signal was weaker than using ndiswrapper. Also, my suspend only works when it wants to, lol. It'll work at times and other times it'll just not turn back on. I haven't gotten around to trying to resolve that issue yet.

PmDematagoda
July 11th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I use a Presario V3005TU with Fedora 9 and it works just brilliantly with no issues at all except for a few issues with Compiz-Fusion which may be attributed to Fedora itself.

Midwest-Linux
July 11th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I have a Compaq C751NR laptop and it works great. Only drawback I had was using ndiswrapper for my Atheros based wifi. Madwifi patch worked but signal was weaker than using ndiswrapper. Also, my suspend only works when it wants to, lol. It'll work at times and other times it'll just not turn back on. I haven't gotten around to trying to resolve that issue yet.

Just be careful with the kernel updates, it already broke my wireless and "add/remove". My problem was fairly easy to fix. But I seen others that had worse issues than that.

doorknob60
July 11th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I have a Compaq Presario 1600S (old). Works fine (considering its specs and age). I have Debian lenny running flawlessly on it with Wireless with a netgear pcmcia card. It sucked before I upgraded the RAM from 64 to 192 though :-P

lisati
July 11th, 2008, 07:13 AM
My destktop is a Compaq Presario, about 3-4 years old. No problems with Linux on it so far, but Windows: that's another story!

Polygon
July 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I have a compaq presario F767NR, and it pretty much works perfectly with ubuntu, after you do some stuff (compile latest madwifi drivers, but that should be included by default in intrepid anyway)

pretty cheap laptop, atheros wireless (although i got a pm asking how to get broadcom working on this model of laptop, i guess they use both atheros and broadcom wifi chipsets, be sure to check!) i got mine for 675$ and if your interested here is the laptop testing team wiki page i wrote up on it:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/CompaqPresarioF767NR

wersdaluv
July 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
This is a great question, take a look at the System 76 prices for laptops with Ubuntu. Then take a look at some Vista laptop selling for $399 or $499 that others have wiped Vista off and put Ubuntu on it with wireless and all the goodies.

Chances are you can save yourself $200 to $400 by going that route. A good place to see what others are using for Ubuntu laptops and how well wireless works is at the "Network and Wireless" forums here on the Ubuntu Forums.

I am 100% for what System 76 is doing, but when it comes down to economics the choice gets a bit more narrow.

I'm from Asia. Where can I buy that? That's the reason why I'm looking at brands like Acer and HP.

gunashekar
July 11th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I have a Presario V6000 the cheapest submodel at the time of purchase (~650 $) Now cheaper models are sold in my country. I started with Ubuntu 7.04 and kept trying out as newer versions developed. Had problems with sound, wireless, screen resolution, heating up ... and there were ups and down with different updates and version releases.

Currently (with 8.04) Everything works without tweaking including broadcomm wireless. I have no regrets with Compaq Presario or Ubuntu for that matter.

LaRoza
July 11th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Well Compaq is now owned by HP so its probably a lot better then it was, they used to be notorious for computers that were impossible to upgrade.

My desktop is a Compaq Presario. I like it. The case isn't what I have chosen though, but my idea of a good case is larger than what people would want. I like to add a lot (see blog)

Midwest-Linux
July 11th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'm from Asia. Where can I buy that? That's the reason why I'm looking at brands like Acer and HP.

There are many sources, Geeks.com, Micro Center, E-Bay, your local computer shop, local computer show. Whatever you decide to buy and from whatever source. I suggest looking at the "Installation and Upgrades" and also the "Network and Wireless" Ubuntu forums to see what laptops others are using and what methods they are using to get wireless working and what problems (if any) others are having.

I have seen low end Acer laptops as low as $379 at Micro Center to Best Buy and Staples having clearances this week of the Compaq 762NR for $399 (Sold out already). Check out Dell for some one or two day sales. I have seen some laptops sell under $499. Look around ask others, and check the support Ubuntu support forums for members comments.