PDA

View Full Version : a thought experment

jnw222
July 11th, 2008, 01:25 AM
here is a vacation into thought

what if like tomorrow, Microsoft and apple and all their prodocts (not including computers) suddenly disappeared.

This means that any software and the companies (like oses and devices like ipods went but all of dell's etc. products existed without microsoft's and apple's systems)

what would we do would computers just vanish or would we all go to linux YAY.

but then what would oses become the next microsoft (like rhel is (i think))

or does everone go back and try to create thier own non-linux os based on nothing?

racie
July 11th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Hmmm... I never thought about that. Really it seems as if Microsoft and Apple disappeared, then everyone would have to switch OS's. I would assume this would be Linux. Would Linux end up being so powerful that they turned into the next Microsoft and started scamming everyone with expensive computers?

acelin
July 11th, 2008, 01:48 AM
So hypothetical that you cant guess. Literally everything is possible.

/thread.

Dr Small
July 11th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I try to be realistic. I can not forsee this happening, so I don't dwell or think about it.

axenory
July 11th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Hey I know this is not the way to ask but I DONT KNOW HOW TO POST new THREADS can anyone helpme??

paul101
July 11th, 2008, 02:06 AM
theres a button on the forums that says "new thread"

axenory
July 11th, 2008, 02:08 AM
On the forums wheree?? give me more antinoob answer plz thanks in advance

zmjjmz
July 11th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I thought the "New Thread" button was a dead give away.

Also, a lot would die.
As per the latest article on Slashdot, if this happened thousands of hospital patients would die, elevators would crash, trains would crash, etc.
Also, a lot of businesses depend on Windows, so our economy would kinda die.

This is really sad.

paul101
July 11th, 2008, 02:12 AM
On the forums wheree?? give me more antinoob answer plz thanks in advance

funny how you managed to reply to two threads :confused:...

Arthur Archnix
July 11th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Well, if MS and Apple ceased to exist tomorrow then all of its employees would be unemployed. That would send the US into a full-on recession. Furthermore, most of the worlds computers would cease working. The internet would still work, but it's use would be 100% linux development and some sick japanese cartoons posted to 'b'. Commerce would cease. Every company would post record losses. The world economy would collapse. Food shortages and disease would spread. Hospitals would lack ER equipment (some of which runs on Windows). War would still be possible, and since it's all that is still possible it would soon break out as the world's governments fought for control over dwindling supplies of food and water. Riots and panic would spread. The third world would remain largely unaffected, and within one year would rename itself the first-world and begin sending shipments of rice to Canada.

Thank god for microsoft.

barbedsaber
July 11th, 2008, 02:19 AM

Paul, whats that at the bottom of your screenshot? It looks like, but could it be...? sindows?

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=77227&d=1215738753

Dr Small
July 11th, 2008, 02:20 AM
What's Ross's email? :D

barbedsaber
July 11th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Well, if MS and Apple ceased to exist tomorrow then all of its employees would be unemployed....

(I hate it when people quote entire posts, especially when they are long)

Its sad because it's true.

happyhamster
July 11th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Well, if MS and Apple ceased to exist tomorrow then all of its employees would be unemployed. That would send the US into a full-on recession. Furthermore, most of the worlds computers would cease working. The internet would still work, but it's use would be 100% linux development and some sick japanese cartoons posted to 'b'. Commerce would cease. Every company would post record losses. The world economy would collapse. Food shortages and disease would spread. Hospitals would lack ER equipment (some of which runs on Windows). War would still be possible, and since it's all that is still possible it would soon break out as the world's governments fought for control over dwindling supplies of food and water. Riots and panic would spread. The third world would remain largely unaffected, and within one year would rename itself the first-world and begin sending shipments of rice to Canada.

Hmm, I have a somewhat more optimistic view: linux-geeks everywhere will get their extended 15 minutes of fame, and facilitate the switch to linux-based computing in a matter of weeks on average. The non-linux-folks, in the mean time, get their much-needed-surprise vacations (because their companies are shut down for the moment), which will boost tourism-income world-wide and greatly relieve stress overall.

Likely leading to a solid World Peace at last...

But, even better, all spam will stop! :D

Bubba64
July 11th, 2008, 02:51 AM
here is a vacation into thought

what if like tomorrow, Microsoft and apple and all their prodocts (not including computers) suddenly disappeared.

This means that any software and the companies (like oses and devices like ipods went but all of dell's etc. products existed without microsoft's and apple's systems)

what would we do would computers just vanish or would we all go to linux YAY.

but then what would oses become the next microsoft (like rhel is (i think))

or does everone go back and try to create thier own non-linux os based on nothing?

Be still my beating heart.

shadylookin
July 11th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I think it would be bad news. For whatever reason a lot of essential infrastructure and government stuff runs on MS products. I imagine that would cause total chaos. Afterwards I imagine there would be a lot of linux use simply because it is the most popular OS after MS and mac.

However people might instead choose to go with Solaris because it is backed up by a well known company which has cash to burn on marketing and because the backing of a major company just helps some people sleep better at night.

I don't see the BSDs taking up much of the desktop market, but they might take some of the windows server market.

It's also quite possible that something entirely new will rise from the ashes that has a major corporation's backing.

racie
July 11th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Hmm, I have a somewhat more optimistic view: linux-geeks everywhere will get their extended 15 minutes of fame, and facilitate the switch to linux-based computing in a matter of weeks on average. The non-linux-folks, in the mean time, get their much-needed-surprise vacations (because their companies are shut down for the moment), which will boost tourism-income world-wide and greatly relieve stress overall.

Likely leading to a solid World Peace at last...

But, even better, all spam will stop! :D

That would never happen, though. If Microsoft and Apple shut down, the employees wouldn't go on vacation because they wouldn't have a salary. This would eventually slip everything into a depression/recession/whatever.

happyhamster
July 11th, 2008, 03:32 AM
That would never happen, though. If Microsoft and Apple shut down, the employees wouldn't go on vacation because they wouldn't have a salary. This would eventually slip everything into a depression/recession/whatever.
I wasn't talking about Microsoft and Apple employees (those belong to the linux-geek category*). I just meant the regular non-computing people.

* Linux is their professional enemy, which will undoubdetly mean they know a lot about linux. So, they won't have any trouble at all getting jobs in the brand new era. In fact, it will be their time to truly shine...

Also, on a more serious (and cynical) note: economies tend to flourish after major disasters. Disaster = change = opportunity = ? = profit.

racie
July 11th, 2008, 04:03 AM
economies tend to flourish after major disasters. Disaster = change = opportunity = ? = profit.

Very interesting. Would you mind naming some examples?

happyhamster
July 11th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Very interesting. Would you mind naming some examples?
No need to. Because, taking into account the fact you find this very interesting, you won't lack the drive to find those examples yourself :)

Enjoy.

shadylookin
July 11th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I wasn't talking about Microsoft and Apple employees (those belong to the linux-geek category*). I just meant the regular non-computing people.

* Linux is their professional enemy, which will undoubdetly mean they know a lot about linux. So, they won't have any trouble at all getting jobs in the brand new era. In fact, it will be their time to truly shine...

Also, on a more serious (and cynical) note: economies tend to flourish after major disasters. Disaster = change = opportunity = ? = profit.

economies tend to go into the crapper after a disaster. Sure once they hit rock bottom they tend to recover, but that's solely because they've got nowhere to go but up.

and just because something is your competitor doesn't mean you know a lot about it. for instance I don't know a lot about apple

racie
July 11th, 2008, 07:22 AM
No need to. Because, taking into account the fact you find this very interesting, you won't lack the drive to find those examples yourself :)

Enjoy.

Oh really? Or is it just that you don't know any? =P Anyway, I'd like to quote skadylookin on this:

economies tend to go into the crapper after a disaster. Sure once they hit rock bottom they tend to recover, but that's solely because they've got nowhere to go but up.