PDA

View Full Version : How do I make Ubuntu look like XP (and done so professionally)?

Bosconian
July 10th, 2008, 10:40 PM
First of all I am no Windows fanboy. I do not want the following to come across as such because I am not. If I was, I would not even be looking for an alterantive. In fact, quite the opposite, I am looking for an alternative because I feel Windows is heading in the wrong direction.

First of all XP starts limiting half open TCP/IP connections. Hell that should be MY choice not Microsofts.

Now Vista starts adding loads more DRM restrictions, etc and that's before I start getting into how flakey an OS it is.

But and unfortunately there is a but:

Ubuntu just looks so damn ugly. I've spent a lot of time looking at themes - Compiz themes, Emerald themes, GTK themes, various GTK engines, icon sets, etc. I've looked at so many I lose count - it's just a blur. But no matter how good a rating they are getting on gnome-look.org, they look naff.

I start Windows again and it looks smart, professional, seamless and generally just looks good.

I know looks aren't everything but I can't stand looking at Ubuntu every day.

Bosconian
July 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I just read the first post back and it might not be obvious what I am hoping to achieve from this thread. What I am hoping is that someone can show me how to make Ubuntu look just like XP (the classic theme not the fancy XP theme) with all the windows looking as good, a firefox 3.0 theme which is as good (why does 3.0 come with a far inferior theme in Linux?), etc, etc.

I tried and failed miserably. Everything in Ubuntu looked amateurish in comparison.

sayakb
July 10th, 2008, 11:30 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/album.php?albumid=197&pictureid=1000
http://ubuntuforums.org/album.php?albumid=197&pictureid=637
http://ubuntuforums.org/album.php?albumid=197&pictureid=966

Ya but the Windows Luna and Windows Classic themes are much better than these..! ;)

Btw, this is Compiz 0.7.6 (See FAQ@Desktop Effects and Customization forum)
With emerald and Xristal theme(See my blog's link in my sig)
Icons are Crashbit + AER-OS-XK + NuovoXT.2.2
The start menu is USP

Its called customization..

Bosconian
July 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/album.php?albumid=197&pictureid=1000
http://ubuntuforums.org/album.php?albumid=197&pictureid=637
http://ubuntuforums.org/album.php?albumid=197&pictureid=966

Ya but the Windows Luna and Windows Classic themes are much better than these..! ;)

Btw, this is Compiz 0.7.6 (See FAQ@Desktop Effects and Customization forum)
With emerald and Xristal theme(See my blog's link in my sig)
Icons are Crashbit + AER-OS-XK + NuovoXT.2.2
The start menu is USP

Its called customization..

First of all, yes that doesn't look too bad but still not quite as professional (IMHO). But that last screenshot with the "bendy window", please no-one else bother with stupid pointless windows effects screenshots, I'm not interested in any of that rubbish that serves no purpose.

Sorry to sound harsh but to suggest that Ubuntu looks better than Windows because of that is ridiculous in my eyes.

Please don't be offended by that, I am trying my best to be converted to Ubuntu because I have just as much against Windows as Ubuntu. I am hoping more so eventually ;)

I love the idea of Ubuntu - free, no big brother crap, etc, etc. But it just feels like it is stuck in a Timewarp.

And yes I have tried customizing it to death.

sayakb
July 10th, 2008, 11:37 PM
And if you still want the Win XP themes:
Classic: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams...ity-W2k.tar.gz (http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/art.gnome.org/themes/metacity/MCity-W2k.tar.gz)
Luna: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Lunacity?content=62350
Royale: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Luna+Royale?content=33585

Oh btw, the title suggests that you already "deleted" Ubuntu. Then why do you need a theme for? Just out of curiosity.. :)

sayakb
July 10th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Err.. why don't you just use Windows then.. I mean, nobody is forcing you to use Ubuntu afterall..

Bosconian
July 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Then why do you need a theme for? Just out of curiosity.. :)

Fair question. I went back to Windows out of desperation. I couldn't use my iPod Touch with Ubuntu without jailbreaking it. I'm not prepared to do that - something either works or it doesn't. I was going to sell it and stick with Ubuntu but then I saw the prices that secondhand iPod Touch was going for on Ebay and realised I couldn't afford to.

However, going back to an OS which may only be supported for another year or so is not a great idea. Vista has showed me that Windows is going in the wrong direction for me so there is no future.

So I am rethinking of getting rid of the iPod and returning. But there are other issues I would like resolved first. This being one of them.

VMC
I find it interesting that people come from Windows to another OS and want it to be different, and then try so hard to make it the same!

It's not that Windows is more professional, it's just that Windows is what your use to.

You left Windows for some reason. Was it just eye-candy you were looking for?

Remember, a computer is a tool, not your wife :)

ibuclaw
Maybe you'll like FutureLooks then? It is a very sleek desktop experience.

Here is the link: (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=806135)

Also, check out my screenie ;)
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4369/screenshotuh8.th.png (http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotuh8.png)

Regards
Iain

SkonesMickLoud
July 11th, 2008, 12:49 AM
99% of the fun of Linux is making it yours, if you'll pardon the horrible cliche.

Put some time into it and you'll get it just how you like it.

CraigPaleo
July 11th, 2008, 03:16 AM
You could try Kubuntu. It uses KDE instead of Gnome and looks more like Windows out of the box. I find Gnome more intuitive but perhaps that's because I'm used to a Mac.

Craig

Keyper7
July 11th, 2008, 04:38 AM
But that last screenshot with the "bendy window", please no-one else bother with stupid pointless windows effects screenshots, I'm not interested in any of that rubbish that serves no purpose.

Prejudice, prejudice, prejudice! And a very unfair one.

After a few months using Compiz Fusion, I can sincerely say that I can't stand any operating system that does not have the same features. What many can dismiss as "rubbish that serves no purpose" can be remarkably useful for your productivity.

For example: when I boot into Vista for something I need it for (updating the cell phone firmware, for example) and I move non-woobly windows, something feels wrong. It feels more straining on the eyes. A lot of people consider woobly windows to be distracting and they probably are depending on the person, but for me they are great. I think it has something to do with the fact that they are modeling the real-life expected effect of inertia and are therefore more easy for my eyes.

Oh, and if you want something more objective, let's talk about bending maximized windows (the very thing you complained about): once I got used to them, I realized they are a godsend. I often work on maximized windows and need to read info on windows below. I don't want to alt-tab because I don't want to switch, I have nothing to do on the window below, just to read. But here's the catch: I know the position of what I want to read on the screen, so I can just hold alt, bend the window with the mouse and voilá! VERY quick, VERY intuitive and VERY non-obtrusive.

And don't get me started on several other features like transparency control (for those pesky read-and-type tasks), window scaling (I simply don't use minimization anymore, it's much less efficient) and expo (very efficient way to unclutter and organize your desktops).

I'm not saying you will necessarily find those features useful like me, but you're not giving them any chance and dismissing them for the wrong reasons. If you try them for a while, you might have a nice surprise.

---

Okay, now on to your original complaint: my suggestion depends on you having a little bit of free time, but have you ever tried to make your own theme? Seriously, download a random theme tarball, open it and study it: it's remarkably easy, it's a bunch of image files bundled with very human-readable configuration files.

I can see you are being sincere, so how about sharing some of your concepts of "professional looks" with the community? I, for one, would be more than willing to use it if it ends up being really superior to other themes. Furthermore, this might involve less work than it seems. A lot of people around here can even help you with the first steps of editing a theme.

The beauty of open-source: if you don't like, you can change it by yourself.

Like other poster pointed out, you can also try KDE... It is said to be more customizable than Gnome (version 3.x, at least).

NotTheMessiah
July 11th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I find it interesting that people come from Windows to another OS and want it to be different, and then try so hard to make it the same!

It's not that Windows is more professional, it's just that Windows is what your use to.

It is interesting isn't it? When you are basically indoctrinated into using windows, once you try to switch you'll be looking for something very close to the world you are trying to leave. And then all of a sudden XP looks professional to these people and ubuntu looks like a gimmick or too geek friendly.

aysiu
July 11th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Maybe these two links might help:
http://ubuntu.online02.com/node/14
http://gnomestyle.blogspot.com/2007/05/make-ubuntu-look-like-vista.html

Good luck.

acidblur
July 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM
wow. make a guy mad with this thread. lol.

I just want to add that with Windows you are very limited in your appearance options. I have a dual boot with vista and Ubuntu Hardy (8.0.4) and I hate booting into Vista to play games now!! but i do and need it very much to sync my iPod touch. I was always miffed by the look of Ubuntu but since I have an original red hat linux install disc I know how very far linux has come. but then i customized it! lol . and BOOM beautiful. I even figured out how to run (not very well) iTunes and Counter-Strike: Source in Ubuntu through wine. :)

I would suggest deleting one panel, like the bottom and combining the two. very simple. just right click the taskbar thing and play with it. Then change the look by downloading a custom panel image instead of going with a color. mine is black and looks just like vista. :( but I have a nice custom ubuntu start button that screams ubuntu! I think that compiz fusion is a must have on Ubuntu along with emerald for themes. together the customization options beat windows 100 fold. the real joke is that the 3d effects(cube) aren't productive! THEY ARE. being able to fill up 4 or more different desktops with open applications and seamlessly switch between them is priceless. Once u start doing it windows seems...flat and slow. i get clausterphobic in vista now. lol seriously it took me what felt like a week of tweeking to make it look like i want. If all u want is a windows xp look :confused: - that is soo simple thats why people in this thread are...disturbed by the whole thing. :mad:

In the end i just want to say - why choose? dual boot. why compare apples and oranges? Windows is a pack of ciggarettes - same thing with different labels. and u always come back to give Bill Gates some more money for one more pack. Ubuntu is more like marijuana. U can buy it but why not just get it for free with a little effort and hard work. with the right effort Ubuntu is the chronic. :lolflag:

ad_267
July 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Have you actually looked at Windows XP? I can't stand it now after knowing what I can do with my desktop. To me it doesn't look professional at all. So much space wasted and way too much blue, it's ugly.

In my opinion the default Ubuntu theme is far better looking than Windows XP, but if you're after something else then you need to look a bit harder on gnome-look, or try something else like xfce or kde. Have a look here at what other people have done with their desktops: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=845546

black3ug
July 11th, 2008, 01:33 PM
0. right click on desktop switcher and set your workspace to 1

1. remove the lower panel by right click then "remove"

2. move the upper panel to the bottom by dragging

3. remove the default ubuntu menu by right clicking the menu then "remove"

4. right click on panel and add a "main menu". this gives you a simple ubuntu icon to click on instead of the three options found in the default menu of ubuntu

5. right click on panel and add "window list"

6. right click on panel, go to "properties", change color to mind-numbing grey.
*** another option is to go to gnome-look.org and look around for the "windows basic" look you want. people there are alway making "lin-sta" themes. somebody ought to have made "lin-pee" as well.

7. copy default background of winXP to usb drive, put usb drive to ubuntu box, copy default background of winXP to pictures folder. right click on desktop, click on "change background", browse for default background of winXP and set as background.

8. you may want to change the ubuntu icon of the main menu to resemble the "flying four colors of commercialization" and the popular-yet-vague "start" text. it is possible, i read it somewhere. however, i will not help you with this for 112 personal, political and religious reasons.

Have fun re-commercializing! :)

p.s.: your post title translates to me as: "I have a tank. How do make it look like a lawn mower?"

gunashekar
July 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I have been a newbie since Ubuntu 7.04 and matching the look and feel of Ubuntu with OS-X or XP is no longer important to me. I will always remain a newbie and learn more and more.

I am concerned about attitudes of some people on these forums. I get the impression that some people find it hard to accept that Ubuntu does still need improvements to its look and feel in some areas, even if it is not important to many among its existing users.

I am certain that the key people responsible for Ubuntu are level headed and accept this. i can see this in their attitude to development of intrepid.

NotTheMessiah
July 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I am concerned about attitudes of some people on these forums. I get the impression that some people find it hard to accept that Ubuntu does still need improvements to its look and feel in some areas, even if it is not important to many among its existing users.

Ubuntu could(should) always be improved. That is a no brainer. We were merely commenting on the interesting fact that "switchers" have withdrawal symptoms and try to turn Ubuntu into XP. And when this doesn't work(or when they realise it's not XP) they throw a tantrum :)

sayakb
July 11th, 2008, 03:55 PM
@OP
+1 to KDE
You may like KDE, then. At a terminal:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
Now at login prompt (gdm), press F10, click on Select Session and click KDE. If you like it, click Make Default button at gdm.

VMC
July 12th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Maybe these two links might help:
http://ubuntu.online02.com/node/14
http://gnomestyle.blogspot.com/2007/05/make-ubuntu-look-like-vista.html

Good luck.

That is hilarious ! I guess that's the answer for the OP .

I'm going in the other direction. I don't want Linux to look anything like Windows. I've left Windows. Or have for a few months now. The Windows fonts are maybe what the OP was referring to. I don't know, like Elvis, he has left the building...

black3ug
July 12th, 2008, 08:53 AM

I, on the other hand am concerned about people who think that Ubuntu should improve towards the direction of Windows.

I say if you like Windows XP so much that you want to tear apart what makes Ubuntu unique, you better stay with Windows XP. You'll be happier.

Now, if you try Ubuntu, open your mind. It doesn't cost anything, it doesn't DRM you, it doesn't chain you to itself in any way like Windows does. The least you could do is to try and free yourself from your Windows dependence instead of mangling Ubuntu.

flytripper
July 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM
lol why would you want to make it look like vista anyhow? They nicked the aero idea from age old linux desktops anyhow. I simply do not understand why people want to use one os but make it look like another. That is sad.

Giant Speck
July 12th, 2008, 12:58 PM
lol why would you want to make it look like vista anyhow? They nicked the aero idea from age old linux desktops anyhow. I simply do not understand why people want to use one os but make it look like another. That is sad.

I don't understand it, either.

I love the way my Vista looks and I love the way my Kubuntu looks. I don't log-in to one expecting to look like the other.

There is one thing about Kubuntu that I wish I can get to look like Vista, though: the taskbar.

On Kubuntu, the taskbar is just text that shows the name of the window. On Vista, however, the taskbar has buttons. And really beautiful buttons at that. I wish there was a way to replicate that with Kicker, but it seems there just aren't any good Kicker hacks.

dodle
July 13th, 2008, 11:26 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=76314&d=1215136262Sorry, I didn't know that would turn out so big:)

AnLGP
July 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM
these ones that look exactly like XP are scary. I understand someone wanting their OS to look like something they enjoy but if the inner workings of the kernels are different (and linux and windows definately are) then that's really what makes linux like linux and windows like windows.

A theme is a theme. To the OP. I hope you get what you're looking for :)

dodle
July 13th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I made my mom's desktop look like XP so that when she goes to use one of her friend's or family's computers, she won't be completely lost. She is new to computers altogether.

Bosconian
July 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Well my issue with Ubuntu was with more with the fact it doesn't look professional rather than look like Windows. I have got away from making it look like Windows and just concentrate on something that looks good. Unfortunately there are very few themes on gnome-look.org that don't look like something out of the 80s in my opinion.

I have now got one that is ok and I can live with.

My other issue is how when you change the look, I have to download an emerald theme, then download a GTK theme, then download an icon them, then download a wallpaper, etc. Then install them all individually. Ubuntu would be a lot better if it had a way of packing all of that into one file and then just install the lot in one go.

sayakb
July 14th, 2008, 10:30 AM
GTK themes (like Moomex) can change your window borders, panels, menus, menubars, scrollbars, colors and fonts. I'm not sure, but GTK themes can also be made to suggest/apply a specific icon set. Ubuntu does not come with emerald theme manager but only with the GTK themes. Since you are using a separate application (emerald) for window borders instead of the default gtk-window-decorator, you have to change it separately. I'm not too much into themes and customization, so maybe someone more experienced in this context will be able to point you towards theming applications like Stardock's WindowBlinds equivalent for Ubuntu..

mcduck
July 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Well my issue with Ubuntu was with more with the fact it doesn't look professional rather than look like Windows. I have got away from making it look like Windows and just concentrate on something that looks good. Unfortunately there are very few themes on gnome-look.org that don't look like something out of the 80s in my opinion.

I have now got one that is ok and I can live with.

My other issue is how when you change the look, I have to download an emerald theme, then download a GTK theme, then download an icon them, then download a wallpaper, etc. Then install them all individually. Ubuntu would be a lot better if it had a way of packing all of that into one file and then just install the lot in one go.

They _can_ all be packaged into one archive. The thing is that most of the time people either create only one of these themes (as, for example, icon themes take insane amounts of work to create), or simply don't know how to create the archive correctly.

Also as Emerald is not part of any desktop environment no DE is able to handle it's themes. That's why you need to select Emerald themes through Enmerald's own configuration tool.

Anyway, what would be the point of only allowing people to release a theme if it includes all Metacity, GTK and icon themes plus a background? That way we'sd probably have less than 2% of the selection we now have..

sanike
July 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM
@Op

I feel ya with the starting background, not that it wasn't professional, but it wasn't "me".

I look at Windows at drab Corporate Busybodies
and Ubuntu as a laid back Coffee Pub (hence the bean thing with the postcount here).

Since I'm a mix between the two (hate coffee, drink tea, like the office, as long as I don't live there), I negotiated a better theme for myself (same with windows).

BLACK startupscreen
BLACK desktop

all icons the same, its very efficient, easy on the eyes, allows the colours to seem brighter as they stand out more, etc etc.

And it took me less than 30 seconds.

Bosconian
July 14th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Well, I have to say that "out of the box" Ubuntu is ugly and bland. That peachy look just isn't me. I'm not the kind of person to spend hours tinkering with the way things look. I just like to install something and use it. End of.

But I've taken the time to customize Ubuntu because I can see the benefits of using it. I now have a system that I am pretty happy with. It looks good to my eyes. It's not finished yet, I have plenty more to learn and plenty of other stuff to install but it is a good start and I can live with it day to day. Everything else can be added as and when. And all without sticking to that "must look like Windows" idea. Sure, there are some elements that I've taken from Vista such as the clock and calendar screenlets.

I've gone from that horrible (in my opinion) installed look to this:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/BosconianUK/Screenshot-1.png

sayakb
July 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Looks good :)
You may change the theme of the clock to the Cairo one.
Also if you like to have a start menu rather than the "Applications Places System", you could try: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Vista+Start+Menu+for+Gnome+Panel?content=71425

and USP: http://code.google.com/p/ubuntu-system-panel/wiki/Installation

madjr
July 16th, 2008, 05:09 AM
that looks great

i hope we see something really nice for the next ubuntu version, i know many personally that are working on it, but also want to keep the ubuntu image

GraysonPeddie
July 16th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Well, here's mine that looks like Windows Vista in Ubuntu Studio 8.04! :D

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6831/ubuntuvistafiedpx1.th.png (http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ubuntuvistafiedpx1.png)

black3ug
July 16th, 2008, 10:22 AM
@OP, your screenshot looks nothing like winXP. I think you've confused XP with Mac, apparently.

Bosconian
July 16th, 2008, 04:32 PM
@OP, your screenshot looks nothing like winXP. I think you've confused XP with Mac, apparently.

As I stated - but you obviously missed it ;) - I gave up trying to make it look like XP and concentrated on making it look good instead. In my opinion, the default look that gets installed is horrible and really put me off but I took the time to learn how to customize it. By doing that I learnt about AWN and other dock bars and screenlets, etc.

In the end, as you say, I ended up with something unlike XP but something I was happy with and at the end of the day that was my main criteria - getting away from the default look.

madjr
July 16th, 2008, 06:19 PM
As I stated - but you obviously missed it ;) - I gave up trying to make it look like XP and concentrated on making it look good instead. In my opinion, the default look that gets installed is horrible and really put me off but I took the time to learn how to customize it. By doing that I learnt about AWN and other dock bars and screenlets, etc.

In the end, as you say, I ended up with something unlike XP but something I was happy with and at the end of the day that was my main criteria - getting away from the default look.

+1

looks a lot nicer than XP IMHO

VMC
July 17th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Bosconian, That does look real good! Thanks for coming back and sharing. The best thing of all is in the learning! I'm curious, does the boot take longer with the new setup compared to default setting?

CraigPaleo
July 17th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Bosconian, That does look real good! Thanks for coming back and sharing. The best thing of all is in the learning! I'm curious, does the boot take longer with the new setup compared to default setting?

This is my customized desktop using only a GTK2 theme and I haven't noticed any difference in boot-time or application launch. In fact, it seams a bit speedier since the last couple of system updates.

FXEF
July 17th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Bosconian

I really like the way Ubuntu looks and feels, but different strokes for different folks. That's what so nice about Ubuntu, it's open source.... you can make it any way you want it. Can't do that with Windows, just have to take whatever Microsoft dishes out!

CraigPaleo
July 17th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Bosconian

I really like the way Ubuntu looks and feels, but different strokes for different folks. That's what so nice about Ubuntu, it's open source.... you can make it any way you want it. Can't do that with Windows, just have to take whatever Microsoft dishes out!

Read down further. He's found something he likes and posted a screenshot of it. He also decided not to go with an XP theme and go with what he thinks looks good.

Craig

Raw Paleo Forum (http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/general-discussion)

Bosconian
July 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM

It takes marginally longer but we are talking a second or two. This seems to be completely to do with AWN which doesn't seem to be too happy being started automatically at startup because it starts off displaying itself in the top left hand corner before then deciding to reposition itself at the bottom a few seconds later. This is a bug I would like to sort out as it is a little annoying.

I have also now removed Screenlets from the installation as they are far too buggy. This is my other issue with Linux. Too much software feels like it is in pre-Beta state.

CraigPaleo
July 17th, 2008, 11:54 AM
It takes marginally longer but we are talking a second or two. This seems to be completely to do with AWN which doesn't seem to be too happy being started automatically at startup because it starts off displaying itself in the top left hand corner before then deciding to reposition itself at the bottom a few seconds later. This is a bug I would like to sort out as it is a little annoying.

I have also now removed Screenlets from the installation as they are far too buggy. This is my other issue with Linux. Too much software feels like it is in pre-Beta state.

Some of the software can feel like it's in beta but I'm sure it has to do with the many distributions and even within one distribution there are so many apps available that could cause conflicts. It'd be impossible for programmers to test compatibility on the infinite amount of configurations on almost as many distros out there. For instance, KDE on (K)Ubuntu is buggy on my machine but I've read it's not on other distros. Also, compiz-fusion/emerald was buggy. I haven't experienced any bugs since sticking to Gnome and GTK2 themes on Ubuntu. The screenlets are fine on my machine but they aren't in the "supported applications" in the Ubuntu repository.

I have had problems with Flash hogging the audio and not giving it back to other applications and visa versa, but again, I'm using the non-free, unsupported player. I'm going to try to switch to gnash and see if that fixes the problem.

If there were only one distribution and one desktop environment and one theme-set, no doubt that scenario's in which bugs would rear their ugly heads would be greatly reduced or non-existent at all.

Once you get things tweaked, you should have a very powerful and productive system.

jeremy
July 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
The easiest way to make ubuntu look like windows ias to turn off your pc. The people that see it will assume it is windows, and has crashed.

black3ug
July 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I stand corrected. Nice to see you finally got the point. :)

By the way, completely off topic here but I'm a bosconian too. :guitar:

hairshirt
August 4th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Are you completely off your rocker!