PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Ubuntu in College

Flyingjester
July 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Just thought you all might wanna know this. I signed up for an operating systems course at my college this quarter, and ubuntu is going to be one of the operating systems that we discuss and do labs on. Feisty Fawn to be exact.

fatality_uk
July 10th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Cool, if a little outdated ;) Get them on Hardy!!

Flyingjester
July 10th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I did mention that we were up to 8.04 now, and the professor seemed excited about it... so who knows lol, i might be able to convince'em :D

Sealbhach
July 10th, 2008, 09:29 PM
That's wonderful.

A whole new generation can get hooked on Linux.

T2manner
July 10th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Once I get into 11th grade I can take courses at our Community College, they offer Unix classes, but no Operating System classes :\

era86
July 10th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Is it a class on the innerworkings of the OS or doing basic tasks? I took an OS class strictly on Linux and how to program the filesystem and whatnot.

RiceMonster
July 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
We used Redhat Linux and vi in my C programming class. That was pretty cool. That class is what made me love vi too.

Flyingjester
July 11th, 2008, 01:31 AM
It's a class on the inner workings of operating systems, we're starting with DOS and going up, when I take my networking and server classes i will be dealing with redhat i think.

racie
July 11th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Oh wow. They're teaching Ubuntu in your college? That's great. :)

WickerMan
July 11th, 2008, 02:11 AM
That's cool -

I remember in our sixth form college we had an "installing operating systems" module <yawn>

One of the OS's was Fedora - we were told to set the hostname,user and pass that were on stickers stuck on the CRT's..... including the lecturer's machine that was hooked up to the projector :)

ssh lecture@hostname...

killing processes, ejecting cd drives etc..

"Damn Linux Ghosts" he said... I laughed for ages.

kernelhaxor
July 11th, 2008, 04:06 AM
gud for u .. my univ used Fedora 4 for my operating systems class .. it was an awesome class though!